Ever prefer a 6-string?

• Thread starter Metaguitarist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metaguitarist

Reaction score
Ever feel like, "man I really don't need my 7 for this, lets just whip out the 6'er"? I'm still adjusting to playing a 7 for long periods of time (just got my first keeper 7-string a few days ago) so I'm wondering if I'll stop feeling that way at some point? Or maybe some of you just prefer a 6-string baritone at times?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rythmic_pulses

Bari/Bass VI Nerd
Reaction score
What it comes down to is ease of playing, I use my 6 and my 7 for different stuff, my 6 is in Drop C# always and has a wound 3rd to make the chords ring out clearly as I do not play lead on my 6, on my 7 however, it's like shifting the 6th, 5th, 4th and 3rd strings across and tuning them down lower and slapping another unwound string in it's place and I play lead on the 7, I tune to Drop A on the 7 just so I can switch between the two with no problems, trying to play in Drop C# on a 7 is a pain cause then you have to have the 7th string in G or take off the lower string, shift the other strings across and add a higher string, having my 6 to do that is just so much easier, plus the neck is smaller :rofl:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
For drop tunings, yes. I find them awkward on a 7 for some reason. But I still prefer 7s and 8s at this point. I'm mainly a lead player and I've gotten used to the larger playground.

Syriel

owns a .strandberg*
Reaction score
I'm currently wanting a 6 string for music school :)lol:) and maybe for drop tuning.

My old 6 string sucks, it's got dead frets and fret buzz all over unless you adjust the action REALLY high, it's not the neck relief its the frets that are uneven, and I don't wanna bother taking it to a tech and waste money on getting it set up.

Although to be really honest, I actually wanna stick with the 7 string and be done with it. I feel much more comfortable on it than a 6, even though I have quite small hands.

GXPO

Reaction score
I recently started loving the sound of metal in standard again. I forgot how punchy it sounds. The only problem I have with 7's is that sometimes if I'm not careful it can polarise my sound, everything starts and ends with B (or drop A) if I don't pay attention.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
That's really funny... I seem to have a difficult time riffing on the B string. Most of my riffs start higher than that and eventually meander down that way for notes I just don't feel like jumping way down the neck for. I have trouble writing heavy riffs based around that string for some reason.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
For live playing: no.

For writing and studio use, sure. I have sold most of my sixes but I've got some fantastic ones left and to be honest my Warmoth Carved Top 6 is still the best playing and sounding guitar I own. I do a lot of leads with it, because it sounds so good. But for live playing I don't bother bringing a six, even though all our songs could be played on one without too much hassle.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I CAN'T seem to sell my 6er... So I keep it around because I actually do play it every now and again.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I own an RG2228GK and I'm fortunate enough to be borrowing a friends Jackson SL1. It's a fantastic guitar but no matter how much I play the Jackson, I always prefer my 8 string.

GXPO

Reaction score
I find that a lot of people are of the opinion that a 7 has a 6er contained within. While obviously the strings are there, I couldn't be more opposed to using a 7 for pure 6 string material for myself. I like to really dig into the lowest string sometimes and just can't do that on anything but the lowest string.

Metaguitarist

Reaction score
I'm currently adjusting to using a 7-string as I've basically never owned one. I feel a different sort of creativity comes through when I'm using a 7, but when I'm practicing old riffs and such, I almost feel like a 6 would be better because of the smaller neck. Thoughts?

bradthelegend

ESP Fanboy
Reaction score
There are multiple threads about this in both the Standard Guitars section and the Sevenstring Guitars section.

tedtan

Reaction score
I got my first 7-string in 2001. I still play my 6-string, too, because, like you said, the different feel sometimes inspires me to play different things.

There's definitely a place for both.

Murmel

Reaction score
I don't even like 7 strings anymore :lol: I'm staying with sixers.

Overtone

Reaction score
Not especially. There are plenty of times I miss my low B when playing on a 6 but I don't think I've ever wished I was playing a 6 instead of 7 :)

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I'm selling all my 6s, only keeping my Tele, aside from that, tried some 8-strings, not my thing, 7s are just perfect for me.

')