Everybody worships Satan but what about his lol bro Diavlo? (NAD)

Edika

Reaction score
After the silly title yes I've got myself a Randall RD100 head.IMG_20190610_123448.jpg IMG_20190610_123516.jpg IMG_20190610_123540.jpg

I've not been that happy with my Laney VH100R for various reasons. It needs to get stupid loud to sound good, even with an attenuator, and the distortion has a weird character that I can't really describe. It was like highs were really sharp and the lows somewhat mushy. It really depended on the pickups and guitar but it was not a fan of low tunings. The cleans were stellar though and the various loop options great for anyone playing live. I barely used the main loop lol! I tried to sell it a few times but could not find buyers and then rethinking and keeping it. I found someone that wanted to trade for the Randall Diavlo and every clip I heard sounded great. If I want to sell this in the future then I'm guessing it'll be easier.

It has a lovely clean channel and all my guitars sound great through it. It's not as brutal as the Peavey but it still has quite enough distortion which is more usable when increasing the gain than the Laney plus it's tighter. It's a simple amp with shared EQ's between channels and each channel has a dedicated volume and gain knob. Plus there's a master volume which is something I missed on the Laney and Peavey. But it sounds quite full and palm mutes are chuuugy.

A few things I noticed, the clean channel is really clean but not as loud as channel 2 and 3. Going to the third channel it really gets noisy, especially when the boost function is engaged. There is no button on the footswitch to turn on and off the loop so I'm guessing it's engaged when something is connected? No EQ knobs for the boost, it just boosts frequencies but sounds great.

Overall I'm really happy with it and I love the fact that I don't have to tweak it too much to get a great sound, just like the Peavey. The previous owner told me that he read somewhere that it can take all shorts of tubes even KT88's but he wasn't sure if it was true. If that's the case I'll surely go that route. If anyone has any more info on that please share.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I get what your thread title means, but el diablo is Satan... :shrug:

That said... Happy new amp day! :lol:

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats on the new amp. Look forward to hearing sound clips of these so called chuuugs ;)

Alex79

Reaction score
Satanuse, it's Latin for Satan.
View attachment 70137

Are you sure? The dictionary says "satanas" and "diabolus". El diablo is Spanish for the devil - that much I know. "Diavlo" - I have no idea what language that is supposed to be. Maybe Randall's marketing department is just stupid or can't spell/use a dictionary?

I do remember a brand of spicy ravioli though that were called "Diavoli", so maybe it is an amp inspired by spicy pasta.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Are you sure? The dictionary says "satanas" and "diabolus". El diablo is Spanish for the devil - that much I know. "Diavlo" - I have no idea what language that is supposed to be. Maybe Randall's marketing department is just stupid or can't spell/use a dictionary?

I do remember a brand of spicy ravioli though that were called "Diavoli", so maybe it is an amp inspired by spicy pasta.
I guessed it was Italian or Portuguese since they're usually pretty close to Spanish on some of the more common words.

Edit: Italian is diavolo... Close.

Edika

Reaction score
Congrats on the new amp. Look forward to hearing sound clips of these so called chuuugs ;)

I'll try to record something but it'll probably be next week lol. Unless I manage something tomorrow.

Parenthesis, my phone autocorrected lil to lol. I tried to correct the title and managed to re post the thread :(. If the mods would be so kind to merge the two threads or delete one it'll be great.

Thank you all for the kind words and interesting discussion about Diavlo and Satan lol. I was considering the Randall Satan but it was three times the price of the Diavlo new and I can't really find any used. The Diavlo actually sounded somewhat thicker from the clips I've heard and I like the fact it's simple in operation.

Edika

Reaction score
Bumping this thread with a couple of videos. This is the only thing I could manage to record with the kids running around. First video is with my Les Paul in C# with the Gibson 500T/496R pickups. I'm using a Maxon 808 on the dirt channels and when you see the orange light on the amp I'm engaging the onboard boost without the Maxon. At some point I have them both but then I get feedback when I stop playing.

Second video is with my Jackson KE2 that has the Mojotone Tomahawk pickups in D. It's the third channel with the Maxon on. Both videos on my crappy cellphone

Edika

Reaction score
I did use the onboard boost to show how that changes the tone though lol. I can try another day without any boost and just upping the gain. In general though this amp feels really tight and punchy. Those videos don't do it justice.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I did use the onboard boost to show how that changes the tone though lol. I can try another day without any boost and just upping the gain. In general though this amp feels really tight and punchy. Those videos don't do it justice.
Good to hear that it can work just fine without a boost.
It's a pet peeve of mine when people do "amp demos" and then run a ts pedal in front almost the whole time *cough* fluff *cough* I just want an idea of how the amp sounds on its own ffs :lol:

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried their cabs?

I have the ported Diavlo RD-212-V30 and it is awesome. Surprisingly it is not boomy or loose at all. The V30s have their usual mid and highs, but the port adds just the right amount of lows without being overpowering. Plus it sounds bigger and louder because of the port, so it's somewhere between a 212 and 412. Definitely doesn't have the thump a 412 brings, but it's better than a lone 212. Plus it pairs REALLY well with a contemporary 212 cab like a Mesa or Orange!

FWIW I actually like it more than my Genz Benz GFlex.

(Just don't get the non-V30 version. The V30 is the much better model.)

I'm curious to see how it pairs with the head? I use mine mostly with my KPA (I brought both with me overseas).

birr1yt7jl0wjz9i2w7v.jpg

When I move back to the states I want to try the 412 with V30xG12K100 (mod) and see how it compares to a Diezel frontloaded 412.
rd412d.png

Edika

Reaction score
Have you tried their cabs?

I have the ported Diavlo RD-212-V30 and it is awesome. Surprisingly it is not boomy or loose at all. The V30s have their usual mid and highs, but the port adds just the right amount of lows without being overpowering. Plus it sounds bigger and louder because of the port, so it's somewhere between a 212 and 412. Definitely doesn't have the thump a 412 brings, but it's better than a lone 212. Plus it pairs REALLY well with a contemporary 212 cab like a Mesa or Orange!

FWIW I actually like it more than my Genz Benz GFlex.

(Just don't get the non-V30 version. The V30 is the much better model.)

I'm curious to see how it pairs with the head? I use mine mostly with my KPA (I brought both with me overseas).

birr1yt7jl0wjz9i2w7v.jpg

When I move back to the states I want to try the 412 with V30xG12K100 (mod) and see how it compares to a Diezel frontloaded 412.
rd412d.png

No I haven't tried their cabs and the fact their 2x12 is ported makes it even more interesting. Are these still in production I wonder or will I probably have to track one down second hand. I haven't heard much of Randall lately so I'm not sure if they're active anymore.

Latest posts