Everyone but Keene have left The Faceless

• Thread starter KristapsCoCoo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JRMyntz

Reaction score
This is a bummer.. I've been patiently awaiting another album on the level of Autotheism to come out. I wonder if the departure of everyone will shut down Keene's interest in keeping the writing process going.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I don't know why it would, he pretty much controls EVERYTHING that goes into that band. He'll probably do all the vocals, rhythm, guitar, drum programming himself and then tour with his laptop.

mikah912

Reaction score
As someone else noted, they're still booking dates for early next year. Atlanta just went on sale today.

I'm sure he's jammed with replacements for Wes, Alex, and Evan already. Getting a growler to replace Ficco would probably be the easiest personnel move of all (No disrespect to the man).

He already has material in the can according to some quick samples on the Summer Slaughter Instagram earlier this year. I think he'll just carry on as The Faceless. Sucks that he couldn't keep the last lineup stable, but....

Thorerges

Reaction score
Band members leave because they don't have creative input and The Faceless just doesn't pay enough. Same thing happened with Obscura and they got it together in about a month.

KristapsCoCoo

Reaction score
As someone else noted, they're still booking dates for early next year. Atlanta just went on sale today.

I'm sure he's jammed with replacements for Wes, Alex, and Evan already. Getting a growler to replace Ficco would probably be the easiest personnel move of all (No disrespect to the man).

He already has material in the can according to some quick samples on the Summer Slaughter Instagram earlier this year. I think he'll just carry on as The Faceless. Sucks that he couldn't keep the last lineup stable, but....

Band members leave because they don't have creative input and The Faceless just doesn't pay enough. Same thing happened with Obscura and they got it together in about a month.

Yeah, I guess there's a lot of musicians that would love to tour in a band that's already established. Altough if Keen really does write almost everything, he might as well just get some temporary replacements.

mikah912

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess there's a lot of musicians that would love to tour in a band that's already established. Altough if Keen really does write almost everything, he might as well just get some temporary replacements.

I think there's benefits to having an establish "band" - even if they're non-writing members versus session guys.

The only difference between Michael Keene and say, Dave Grohl or Robb Flynn or Chris Martin is that he seems to be unable to find guys who are comfortable with his absolute rule in the long term or he's unable to manage their personalities (or his). But in all of those cases, you have a set crew of guys who ARE "the band", yet they mostly take direction from the main guy who writes almost all of the songs.

Static

Reaction score
More like everybody has left Keene lol

The amount of line up changes in this band is getting ridiculous and here i thought no one could beat Megadeth in that department.

Anyways,aside from all that..Faceless is a great band and Autotheism kicked ass and I hope keene sorts this out soon.It would have been kinda cool to see Loomis join the Faceless.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
I think there's benefits to having an establish "band" - even if they're non-writing members versus session guys.

The only difference between Michael Keene and say, Dave Grohl or Robb Flynn or Chris Martin is that he seems to be unable to find guys who are comfortable with his absolute rule in the long term or he's unable to manage their personalities (or his). But in all of those cases, you have a set crew of guys who ARE "the band", yet they mostly take direction from the main guy who writes almost all of the songs.

The primary difference between Michael Keene and, say, Dave Grohl, is that as far as I can tell, Dave Grohl is not a complete dickheaded. I'm not sure the same can be said for Keene.

There's also a difference between, as you described, someone who is the primary creative force in a band and the other members mainly follow his lead, and someone who insists on making all the decisions and having everything his way. I don't personally know any of the people being discussed here, but I dare say the evidence suggest which of them are the former and which the latter.
Band members leave because they don't have creative input
That may be true, but the sad reality is that not all members of a given band can necessarily contribute on the same level as the main creative force(s). Credence Clearwater Revival and Tokyo Jihen both released an album where the primary songwriter had reduced or no input, and both were easily the worst album the band ever released. In Creedence's case, it was because John Fogerty was a dickhead, and conceded to the other members writing an album presumably just to prove a point, and they broke up not too long after that. For Tokyo Jihen, input had always been permitted from other members, but the main songwriter, Shiina Ringo, wanted everyone to be involved in the writing process, even though one of the members didn't really want to (the song he wrote sucks). They're still together, and I don't think that album soured their relationship.

All that said, I can't speak for any other members of the Faceless, but if Keene wasn't open to Evan Brewer's input, then he's nuts.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
czFCIXe.png

damn, bro

Taylord

Reaction score
Bummer, I wish I could of seen them, especially when Wes and Evan were still in. Someone make a Michael Keene Solo Record meme please.

Thorerges

Reaction score
Keene is not the first of his kind in the death metal scene.

Isn't Muhammed Suicmez a similar personality? Also Steffen Kummerer? I don't know why these tech bands have such frontmen.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I sure hope he doesn't stop, every album's been killer. So I see no reason to stop it. If the man can write the music as well as he does despite all the changes, then who cares if he's an asswipe?

He was nice enough to me when I saw them live and spoke to him for a bit, he was in a bit of a rush so I kept it to a very short conversation.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
i remember seeing them a few years back when it was with derek and steve still in the band, effing sick set

i imagine i will still like their sonic offerings but Keene does seam to come off as a my way or highway kinda personality

Jahka

Reaction score
i remember seeing them a few years back when it was with derek and steve still in the band, effing sick set

i imagine i will still like their sonic offerings but Keene does seam to come off as a my way or highway kinda personality

Thankfully the members Keene chooses are always badass players. Sadly they're never around for long.
And Keene is super awkward so it's either his ego has tarnished his own personality, or he doesn't know how to not seem like an ass. I have a friend who seems like a total dick but it's only because he SUCKS at communicating with people.

')