EVH 5150 III 50 Watt vs 100 Watt

DaPimpDatCheats

Reaction score
I own a Peavey 6505+ and I want to buy either the EVH 5150 III 50 watt or 100 watt version. I know the 50 watt version has a master presence and resonance knob, but the 100 watt version doesn't have any resonance knobs. The type of music I or my friends play on my Peavey 6505+ ranges from indie pop rock to hard rock to hardcore punk/melodic harcore to thrash metal. The preferred setting I play on my Peavey 6505+ is Pre = 4 or 5 or 6, low and mid = 6, high = 4, resonance = 7, and presence = 8. I've read on numerous blogs on different websites where people are saying that there is a tone difference between the 50 watt and the 100 watt versions of the EVH 5150 III. I want to buy one of those heads that would sound the most similar to my Peavey 6505+ (or should I think of the opposite?). Which version of the EVH 5150 III should I buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aqa

Reaction score
In this moment I have a 6505+ borrowed from a friend and a 5153 50w,

Peavey obviously sounds ticker but this is not a problem for the 50 watt amp, it its not far behind and they can play together in a band without any problem.

The advantage in the 50 watt is the weight and form factor, and honestly I enjoy playing it more.

I have an Archon too and I think the fender it's heavier than this

KailM

Reaction score
A played a 100 watt 5150 III a while back and could not get an acceptable tone out of it no matter how I tweaked it. There was a 6505+ right next to it and when I A/B'd them the 6505+ blew it out of the store. It was laughable; I couldn't stand the EVH at that point.

However, about a month ago my local store had the 50 watt head version with the EVH 212 cab -- and it sounded amazing. Not a whole lot different than a 6505+, to be honest. Better cleans though.

At this point I kind of want to try a different 100 watt version; as I can't account for there being such a dramatic difference between the 50 and 100 watt versions. I'm kind of thinking now that the original 100 watter I tried was faulty in some way. It just didn't have any low-end to it. Just mids, ice-picky highs, and fizz.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
EVH has tweaked all of the heads as they come out. Each sounds a bit more brutal. I had a first run 100 watt head. Best sounding head I've ever owned until I heard the 50 watt which is insanely heavier, more gain, more brutality. I think that's true of everything else that comes out as well. The lunchbox head I tried out was something fierce.

Werecow

Reaction score
The 50 watt has quite a bit more gain on its blue/crunch channel than the 100 watt. I can get great Metallica Ride The Lightning tones on the blue channel with a boost pedal and my friends 100 watt blue channel just sounds more like AC/DC instead. The red/lead channel is amazing too for more modern tones.
The 50 watt has an added resonance control the 100 watt doesn't have as well.

The only down side of the 50 watt is the volume change between the clean and crunch channels. It's fine if you hardly ever use the clean like me though :)

chopeth

Reaction score
Don't forget about the MIDI option in the 50 watter too