EVH 5150 III 50W vs LBX 1 => which best for bedroom level ?

Max13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know the topic has already been discussed but interested if any recent feedback !

I'd like to go for an EVH 5150 III, but i read a lot of bad reviews on the lunchbox version (LBX 1). Seems that it's a struggle to find the sweetspot with the volume knob + the amp sounds too loud for an apartment.

Is the 50w version a better option ? I read that it sounds good at low volumes but i'm a bit skeptical on that (50w still...)

I've also heard about the LBX Stealth being great with the built in attenuator, but i'm more interested in the LBX 1 for the blue channel !

Also just to mention : i've got a torpedo attenuator (classic version not the X captor) so it could also help with the volume for both amps.

Honestly not a price subject i just want the best sound without disturbing too much the neighbours :)

Thanks !

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Werecow

Reaction score
50W all the way. It's the best amp for bedroom level by far i've ever used. I use mine right down to literally whispering levels, and it still sounds great. Go for the 50W 6L6 (non-stealth) if you're a blue channel lover.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I imagine either would be fine since you've got an attenuator, so just go with whichever has the features and makes the sounds (or is the size) you want.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My current view is that an multiband EQ in the loop will solve most problems for the bedroom guitarist. You can boost some low-end to make it satisfying at low volumes and you have extra level control to get it actually quiet. YMMV, 2 cents.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I've had the LBX and the stealth 50, and genuinely feel id pick the stealth any day of the week for bedroom use. Way more usable volumes if you ask me, and always have the wattage to crank when you want to.

Shask

Reaction score
To me, bigger always sounds better. You need the big tubes and transformers to get the big depth.

If it is too loud put an EQ in the loop and lower the volume slider on it to give you better low volume control.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
50w has one of the best master volumes of any amp I've owned. No need for the smaller head. The bigger one sounds better and volume is easily controlled.

sirbuh

Reaction score
Go with the 50w head its very friendly across all volume levels.
Modelers of course can work too, however the subjective experience is still not there.
EQ pedals in the loop works as well or a power soak but thats a bit more of a black magic solution.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Cant wait for the next “how come my amp sounds weak at quiet levels?” thread :lol:

Why buy a tube amp to run it so quietly that none of the tube characteristics are apparent? :scratch:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I have a 50w 5153 6l6 that does low volumes very well. I also built a little passive volume pedal and mounted it to the back panel to have even more fine control if I need it.

My only experience with any of the lunchbox versions was a 1st gen model at a Guitar Center, but it still sounded good at a soft-to-moderate volume. I still felt like the 50w had the edge in overall tone, features, and versatility, though.

Latest posts

')