EVH 5150 iii 50w vs Peavey 5150 *vid* with Blackmachine

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
My vote goes to the EVH.
The funny thing about it is that I had a 100 watt EVH and a peavey and playing them side by side I preferred the peavey by along shot.
I think the 50watt is a little different then it's bigger brother. I have a 100s now, and when I compare it peavey I can never pick a winner. I always go back and forth with it.

How is the 100s compared to the EVH 100w?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrFighter

Reaction score
Because, with different settings we can do that one head sound like the other. But, I think that when we have the idea of make a video comparison, we need that this will be the more naturally possible, and this can will be with the all knobs at 12 o'clock to know exactly which is the sound in both.

If you can make a comparison like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSOsx0VzOKA

You can help us to all. Is the best, because, if one amp sound really good with all the knobs at 12 o'clock, we can say that with a good setting this can be the glory. But, is my advice, if you think make a comparison, all the knobs at 12 o'clock in both amps, otherwise, this not can help.

aprilia4life

Reaction score
Is a good work man, but, you should put all the knobs at 12 o'clock in both amps to hear in reality, who they sound :) Is a advice, and is the best to make a comparison :)

Like this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSOsx0VzOKA

No, just no. One amp might sound good at 12's and another might sound like a muddy turd. That is not a good reflection of amp tone.

MrFighter

Reaction score
No, just no. One amp might sound good at 12's and another might sound like a muddy turd. That is not a good reflection of amp tone.

Ok, but, that is the natural sound of the amp, if this is muddy turd, the amp is muddy turd, the video in the link, show a true video comparison in 4 sections:

1 section: both amps with the knobs at 12 o'clock.
2, 3, 4 sections: both amps with differents EQ.

But, the man in this post (evh vs peavey), should make a video comparison with this form:

1 section: both amps with all knobs at 12 o'clock.
2 section: each amp with the best EQ for he.

Only 2 sections, but I consider that a video comparison of 2 amps, need a section with all knobs at 12 o'clock. Only of this form, is a excellent video comparison.

JeffHenneman

Reaction score
How is the 100s compared to the EVH 100w?

The regular version was way too smooth sounding for my taste. What was amazing was the fact that it had so much gain and yet that gain was very smooth. So I didn't like it but I did appreciated it.
Another thing I did not like was the second channel, it didn't have enough gain. Maybe it was the voicing of the channel but something just didn't sit well with me on that channel.
The last channel was really good but I again, the gain just wasn't what I liked.
The last thing I didn't like about the regular version is that it seemed a little to warm/bass heavy. I just could never get it dialed in right.

100s is more aggressive sounding, plus you can dial in the lows better. I really like the second channel on this amp. It has more gain now.
The addition, the deep/resonance controls help a lot. It gives the amp some extra tools to work with and gives it some more versatility.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Is a good work man, but, you should put all the knobs at 12 o'clock in both amps to hear in reality, who they sound :) Is a advice, and is the best to make a comparison :)

Mesa Boogie aren't going to sell a single amp if you playtest them with knobs at noon, just saying.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Very cool to hear the difference side by side. The 5150 has more aggression and a sharper attack, the 5153 is fuller with more mids and smoother overall. Which one is better is still subjective to what you are looking for though.

:yesway:

They were really close IMO, but I would take a 5150.

MrFighter

Reaction score
Mesa Boogie aren't going to sell a single amp if you playtest them with knobs at noon, just saying.

Yes, but, I think that the correct is this, make a video with 2 sections:

1 section: both amps with all knobs at 12 o'clock.
2 section: each amp with the best EQ for he.

Only that, the video of the user in this post, is cool, but, only need this, to do this more interesting.

Latest posts

')