EVH 5150 III concerns...here we go again!

• Thread starter Megatron50
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
Can I ask if you ever use the 5150 III live? If you're only playing quietly, there are much better amps to do so with. There is literally zero reason to own a big tube head, especially something like an EVH which is loud as mother....ing piss if you never get to crank it. 5150s are notorious for sounding like flubby dogshit at anything but basically ear splitting levels.

I use an orange micro terror with a juicy OD boost through a 1x12 cab for demos and practicing. Best home rig ever. It sounds cranked and saturated at literally whisper quiet volumes. And its like 150 dollars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Megatron50

Reaction score
Hmm well I've heard the 5150 50 watt sounds pretty good at room levels? I'd be looking to have an amp primarily for room use but able to bring the heat in a live setting should I need it. Also I'd preferably want a tube amp because I love the sounds they can produce. With that I am trying use one with multiple channels so as to switch back and forth during songs that call for clean/distortion switch. Or even accessing different distortion settings? I know it's kind of ambiguous but that's why I got the 100 watt, only drawback is I can't really access that variety because I would have to crank that thing up to 2 and knock out everything within a 100 km radius of my house! This is my problem haha.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
The other thing to consider is that recorded tube amps usually have bass turned down; the bass is accomplished through proximity effect of the mic. So the big wall of sound you hear, articulate and heavy, usually has alot of treble/presence and mids, and post processing. Most of the multiFX (POD, AXE, Mustang, etc) already take that into account and give you a ready sound. That is why they are so popular because it takes alot of work to get that sound with a real head, speaker and mic.

A 5150 100watt tube amp is just like every other 100watt tube amp in that it doesnt come into its own until cranked. When loud it will still hit you in the gut with the bass down, but at lower volume will sound thin.

I think the best solution is to get a Peavey Vypyr or Fender Mustang for practice but keep the 5153 for when you have a chance to play loud and you will need it when you are in a band. You could also get an MXR 10 band eq to tailor the bottom end.

ALSO.. Sometimes you can halve the wattage of a 100watt head by pulling the two outside (or inside) tubes. I know this works on Peavey amps to make them 60watts. You should contact tech to see if you can do that on a 5153. It may need to be rebiasedafterwards. It wont make it much less loud, but it will saturate sooner.

SwanWings

Reaction score
what kind of cab are you using? Speakers/size of cab could have something to do with it. I like my evh at bedroom levels, but i do play it through an open back 212...

MrFighter

Reaction score
NO SELL YOUR HEAD MAN! Is better than the 50 watts, the 50 watts sound good to low volume, pero in high volume IS BAD! I not like that! Keep your head 100 watts, and use your headphones in the rear of the amp.

Insinfier

Reaction score
NO SELL YOUR HEAD MAN! Is better than the 50 watts, the 50 watts sound good to low volume, pero in high volume IS BAD! I not like that! Keep your head 100 watts, and use your headphones in the rear of the amp.

:scratch:

and

5150 III 100 watt has no headphones out.

1600-5150HDIv_back.jpg

Shask

Reaction score
Plugging headphones into the speaker out will fry the output transformer, and probably make the headphones start smoking.

MrFighter

Reaction score
Well, anyway, I say this because I have the 5153 50 watts and in home, I never can put the volume in more of 1, sound really loud, and, to get the same problem in a 50 watts, I prefer keep the 100 watts and get a better overall tone always! Because, the 50 watts, NEVER can have the fuller sound, and thick sound like the 100 watts. The 50 watts is very very very brighter, have much presence and trebble and is very very tighter, if you want that tone (50 watts) ok, buy this, but, I that have the 50 watts, prefer all the life the 100 watts, is better in all senses and is better in live, studio, home. The 50 watts, for me, is the best, only at home or small venues.

Final advice: Keep the 100 watts and buy a 2x12 cabinet if you run this in a 4x12 of course, because, you can get less volume when run this in a 2x12. But, no sell the EVH 100 to buy a EVH 50 watts, maybe, you can buy other brand with 50 watts, but, other brand yes, but, the same brand (evh) 50 watts... no. Is my advice! :) Good luck in all man! Greetings.

')