EVH 5150 III reliability?

• Thread starter GreatWhiteYeti
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Suitable

Reaction score
I aggree with the pop with the channel/fx pedal, I find letting the amp warm up longer (3 mins or so) before turning the standby on stops the pops when channel switching (100w head) :yesway: also make sure EVERYTHING is properly connected before turning the amp on at all. Aaaannndddd play around on channel 1 for a bit (2-3 mins) before switching channels helps too, by a phaser, delay and a flanger and have a cone, seems to help with popping and you can get some really tripped out shit happening with these pedals! Great for a build up to face melting time :lol:

Oh and check the serial no like others have said. Also if its from a shop they should have at least a 1 month warranty on secondhand goods, just check you can return it if there's any problems with it as you'll find out within a week if there is and its a lower serial no...

mcrdsd911

Reaction score
I aggree with the pop with the channel/fx pedal, I find letting the amp warm up longer (3 mins or so) before turning the standby on stops the pops when channel switching (100w head) :yesway: also make sure EVERYTHING is properly connected before turning the amp on at all. Aaaannndddd play around on channel 1 for a bit (2-3 mins) before switching channels helps too, by a phaser, delay and a flanger and have a cone, seems to help with popping and you can get some really tripped out shit happening with these pedals! Great for a build up to face melting time :lol:

Oh and check the serial no like others have said. Also if its from a shop they should have at least a 1 month warranty on secondhand goods, just check you can return it if there's any problems with it as you'll find out within a week if there is and its a lower serial no...

How funny, just got a call from the tech and explained too me this exact solution ! Shit, should have just asked here instead of wasting money.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the amp is eating power tubes, I wonder what the power situation is. Just thinking out loud here, but if someone told me their amp was having an issue like that I'd look into how it's being run before jumping to the conclusion that it's the amp and not an outside factor.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
My 50 watts' channel 3 had no sound suddenly one day ): Still haven't get it fixed yet though haha!

most likely tubes. I had that happen one day on my old 6534+. turned out the Preamp tube that was the Phase Inverter (PI) and V6 died at the same time. but a couple spare 12AX7s and swap them around. If your lucky it will just be that. Worst (probable) case is the powertubes are done and need to be replaced. at most thats 50$ plus the cost of a bias job

I get the pop on my mini when I turn standby off

might be a static thing, similar to footswitch popping on mesa rectos and 6505s for a short while after taking the amp off standby?

guy in latvia

Reaction score
Oh shit, I get the fx loop pop too, I always assumed it was the g-major acting up...

Anyone got a workaround for that?

viesczy

Reaction score
I believe the amps made in Vietnam had a problem, but not so bad since production was moved to Mexico. 'Least that is what I have heard on the interwebs.

My 50 watt on the red channel isn't as noise as many of my other higher gain amps.

I'm not needing a noise gate, I just roll the volume down when not playing it where others (like my VH100R with the boost engaged) is ungodly noisy even with the volume rolled.

Now the noise gates do a give a great percussive attack though...

Derek

Handbanana

Reaction score
Mines pretty noisy at high levels. But then again I always have way too much gain and have yet to get a gate.

BeyondDan

Beyond Fiction
Reaction score
I believe the amps made in Vietnam had a problem, but not so bad since production was moved to Mexico. 'Least that is what I have heard on the interwebs.

My 50 watt on the red channel isn't as noise as many of my other higher gain amps.

I'm not needing a noise gate, I just roll the volume down when not playing it where others (like my VH100R with the boost engaged) is ungodly noisy even with the volume rolled.

Now the noise gates do a give a great percussive attack though...

Derek

Damn...those things are not even made in USA for that price???:spock:

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
The 100w versions have always been made in Mexico.
The 50w started production in Vietnam but they couldn't supply demand so it was also moved to Mexico.

The pop in switching channels on the 100w is a noted problem. When I had mine in for repairs my tech showed me on the schematic for the amp how the timer that's associated with eliminating the noisey pop is not synchronised correctly.

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
I've just got my Mexican 50 watt head.

It pops when switching channel but not when I put it on standby.

Does this need to be fixed? Or is it normal?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Damn...those things are not even made in USA for that price???:spock:

I can't think of many companies that make amps in the USA that sell for those kinds of prices. I'm talking about full size, independent multi-channel, 100+ watt, tube amps.

That said, the 5150 III is a LOT of amp for $1800. It's not like Mexico is that bad (FMIC has been putting out great stuff from there for quite some time.), and it's not like these are in the well over $2k bracket.

I think the price is plenty justified, in my opinion of course.

BeyondDan

Beyond Fiction
Reaction score
I can't think of many companies that make amps in the USA that sell for those kinds of prices. I'm talking about full size, independent multi-channel, 100+ watt, tube amps.

That said, the 5150 III is a LOT of amp for $1800. It's not like Mexico is that bad (FMIC has been putting out great stuff from there for quite some time.), and it's not like these are in the well over $2k bracket.

I think the price is plenty justified, in my opinion of course.

Yeah you're right, but you can also get a Peavey 6505 made in USA for 999$ or the 6505+ for 1299$....not a clean as good as the EVH but...

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Other guitarist in my band has a mini that he bought a couple months ago and he gets a very loud pop whenever he engages or disengages the effects loop with the footswitch. Fender told him to take it to a tech to check it out but he hasn't had a chance to yet.

As an update to this. We had the 5150 iii in a guy's studio all weekend and the efx loop didn't make a popping sound once. I think my other guitarist's apartment must just have dirty power or something at his place.

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
I have been talking to the head engineer from fender/evh

He says that all 5150 iii amps have a pop theres nothing you can do without slowing down the switching speed.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
All of a sudden mine produces through the cab a high pitch, squeal, scratchy loud noise. It goes away when I turn the volume knob on the guitar off. As soon as I roll the volume on, the sound appears. I had the sound the other day then it went away. Now its back for good. Im not sure what it is. Does anyone have any ideas?

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
The amp that fixes itself.

My buzzed like mad for 2 hours. (the buzz was louder that the guitar noise from it)

A day later it was gone...

Latest posts

')