EVH 5150 III vs 6505+ video, cleans are different... but high gain?

ThomasVB

Reaction score
I managed to get my buddy's 6505+ to compare it to my 5150 III.
Mic position is the same, it's a Mesa oversized cab with V30's and used a shure SM57.

I just copied the eq settings and it actually comes really close high gain wise.
I think with some more tweaking they can sound almost identical.
What do you think?

Also, if you like this video, a sub or thumbs up means a lot to me.
Every support is welcome and highly appreciated!
I enjoy create these video's a lot, so more coming soon.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

whosdealin

Reaction score
I had them both at the same time and compared them many times. Your video represents the differences well. I actually could get the cleans on both of them to sound almost identical. I could get the lead channels very close , the voicing is basically the same with some small differences.

My finding was that as far the lead channels (red) goes between the amps the 5153 is a little warmer and more compressed. I found the 5153 to be a little sweeter for leads but for high gain rhtyhm the 6505+ was better. This is just my opinion , obviously there will be those that disagree. I found the 6505+ red channel to be a bit more open and raw which for me is more desirable. Having had the 5153 for many years I ended up selling it since I felt the 6505+ did what I wanted.

With that being said I still like the 5153 alot and the blue channel on that amp does something a bit different that is very cool. I also tried the Stealth 100 which I thought had way to much gain and compression. I want to give the EL34 version a chance next. Happy hunting !

ThomasVB

Reaction score
I had them both at the same time and compared them many times. Your video represents the differences well. I actually could get the cleans on both of them to sound almost identical. I could get the lead channels very close , the voicing is basically the same with some small differences.

My finding was that as far the lead channels (red) goes between the amps the 5153 is a little warmer and more compressed. I found the 5153 to be a little sweeter for leads but for high gain rhtyhm the 6505+ was better. This is just my opinion , obviously there will be those that disagree. I found the 6505+ red channel to be a bit more open and raw which for me is more desirable. Having had the 5153 for many years I ended up selling it since I felt the 6505+ did what I wanted.

With that being said I still like the 5153 alot and the blue channel on that amp does something a bit different that is very cool. I also tried the Stealth 100 which I thought had way to much gain and compression. I want to give the EL34 version a chance next. Happy hunting !
Yes, the blue channel is nice too and not as compressed as the red channel. Never tried a stealth, but if it's even more compressed than I probably won't like it that much. EL34 is indeed something I'd like to try as well.

Boris_VTR

Reaction score
Very cool vide :)
I was suprised that EVH cleans were not super nice...they were ok :) And 6505+ cleans could use a little bass so they dont sound to brittle :) I usually have gain a little higher for cleans (around 3-4), bass at 15 o'clock and use passive pickups and get somewhat passable cleans lol