EVH 5150 III vs Engl Powerball

• Thread starter Tulu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Petef2007

Reaction score
played both extensively side by side. 5150 III is in my humble opinion the far superior amp. Its got plenty of brutality, not a bad clean channel at all, great versitility, awesome dynamics. Powerball struck me as being incredibly over compressed and dull sounding. Could be brutal with the right setup, but the 5150 III will get you there quicker, and likely make it sound better.

Also, don't judge the III against the 5150/5150 II. Completely different beasts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone played a 5150III here?

My previous amp was a blockletter 5150 and it sounded worse than most amps at lower volumes..

I've heard the 5150III is a little bit better at lower volumes, is that true?

If you want to play a high-wattage tube amp at low volumes get an attenuator for it :2c:

With that said ENGLs in general sound very good at low volumes, but the Powerball is just not a good sounding amp in general IMHO, it's WAY too compressed sounding.

Vstro

Reaction score
Whitechapel Isn't just using the 5150III, they have a few different pedals i saw that they use to get their live tone.

')