EVH 5150iii 100/100s or Blackstar S1 1046l6/200 or Engl Powerball ii?

• Thread starter Martialist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Martialist

Reaction score
Out of these 5 amps...
EVH 5150iii 100 $1799.99
EVH 5150iii 100s $2199.99
Blackstar Series One 1046l6 $1999.00
Blackstar Series One 200 $2349.99
Engl Powerball ii $2,299.99

I play stuff that sounds like The Poison from BFMV. I was looking for an amp that has a tight sound like the Peavey 6505+ but better lead tone and amazing cleans. Price is somewhat a factor, but my ability to finance these amps at Sweetwater is what helps with that, but hurts the fact that Sweetwater doesn't carry Engl. I hear nothing but good things about Engl. I was looking into Blackstar because of the ISF control, but mainly due to the cleans and the DPR control. Does DPR really help your sound when you are at home to keep a good sound at lower wattage vs turning down a 100 watt head's volume that doesn't have DPR such as an EVH? I was going to get the BS S1 200 over the 646l6 if the KT88 tubes and the 200 watts was worth the extra $400. I also hear that the EVH has gain close to the Peavey 6505+ with better lead tone but WAY better cleans. I was also wondering if the 5150iii 100s was worth the extra $400 over the 5150iii 100 over the Wing c 6l6 tubes and the cosmetics. Lastly, is the Engl worth $2.3g's without listening to it? The Engl SE is my dream amp and Engl in general is my dream brand. I plan to listen to the EVH's and BS's at Sweetwater, but I would like to hear what you guys think I should get.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShredBaron

Reaction score
I like everything from 80's metal George Lynch, Randy Rhoads,Eddie Van Halen to progressive Metal like Symphony X and Dream Theatre and the Engl Powerball 2 is the best of that bunch for me, it covers all those tones, if you really want to get that 80's VH tone get the Friedman Brown Eye because it nails it,what I do know about the EVH S Stealth 100 watt (from listening on you tube) is that is a great head, but they are all good, it comes down to the tone that speaks most to you or if you are rich buy them all. I have played a Engl SE great amp but when I played that Powerball 2 with my Charvel it was game over. I have owned Mesa Mark ii C, Marshall JVM 100, Marshall Jubilee, Marshall DSL 100 (old version), Peavey 6505+ and I have played Bogners Ecstacy, Shiva, and the EVH 5150 iii. Peavey 5150 original, and Peavey 6534 and some the Black Stars, I have even played a Cameron Aldrich Mod, all of these are awesome in different ways, bottom line this Powerball 2 is the amp for me, Oh and I currently own a Marshall YJM 100 and it was the best amp I had played until I tried the Engl Powerball 2, I wish I could try all of them. I will say with my Charvel with a tone zone pickup and my Powerball that covers the heavier 80s guitar but has a modern gain, good crunch and good clean, the high gain is UNREAL, and it has a fast attack where you can hear EVERY note fast or slow CLEAR!!

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
I know nothing about tech stuff but I read a lot about shoddy internals on Engls(?)
For that price range I'd go with a small builder like Rhodes, baron, lickliter etc
They are hand built and present quality that should last

But engl does have good tones....

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
i have an ENGL savage and i love it man. Try out the power ball if you can, I'm sure it rips as well. Other guitarist in my band has an EVH 5150 iii and it can def do everything you mentioned. A TS in front of it will def do it even more justice. I still choose the engl over all but thats a personal preference.

Martialist

Reaction score
Yeah I pretty much answered my own question by asking what does better than the 6505+ in leads and cleans and by saying I've heard EVH does, but there's more to it...Is it worth the extra $400 for the EVH 5150iii S? Also I'm really interested in experimenting with the DPR function of the Blackstars. I hear how Engl is so good! The EVH's and BS's I can play and finance at Sweetwater, so I can't test nor pay for the Engl Powerball ii through Sweetwater. I'm still not sure what to do since I'm not made of money and can buy every amp.

ShredBaron

Reaction score
Yeah I pretty much answered my own question by asking what does better than the 6505+ in leads and cleans and by saying I've heard EVH does, but there's more to it...Is it worth the extra $400 for the EVH 5150iii S? Also I'm really interested in experimenting with the DPR function of the Blackstars. I hear how Engl is so good! The EVH's and BS's I can play and finance at Sweetwater, so I can't test nor pay for the Engl Powerball ii through Sweetwater. I'm still not sure what to do since I'm not made of money and can buy every amp.

That is easy, buy from Musicians friend, they have a 30 day return policy. You only need a day to know, I knew within an hour that I stumbled upon gold when I played the Powerball, but there are not many of them in the stores, I walked into a guitar center to try a EVH 5150 50 watt through the small cab that came with it, I went not even knowing there was a engl at Guitar Center and when I plugged into it , my life changed as a guitarist and the engl destroyed it tone wise based on my opinion, I went there so many weekends playing that amp for 2 hours a pop they finally ran me off, and I knew I had to by one, and have done it, I choose it over a axe fx set up, so I guess I really like it lol (of course had to get the Torpedo Live for silent recording) but if you dig your tone it is not a problem

Martialist

Reaction score
On second thought, after doing a lot of research, I might save up for a year to get an Engl Invader ii while I'm 17 living with my parents with no responsibilities, and never have to buy an amp again. Just now found out that its coming out.

Latest posts

')