EVH D-tuna ReRoute?

• Thread starter dimezakkrandykirk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dimezakkrandykirk

Reaction score
I've had the EVH d-tune for a couple years now and I keep going between having it and not having it on because, although I do like having the option to go from a standard tuning to it's drop tuning (E to D, D to C, etc), I miss being able to raise the pitch with the bar.

So I was wondering, has anyone out there ever re-routed their guitar so they can have the d-tuna on and still be able to raise the pitch?

Also, I use the hipshot tremsetter as a trem-stabalizer. It works great but the 0 position is a little stiff. does anyone out there use a better trem-stabalizer that still allows for the guitar to raise and lower the pitch with the bar?

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
I routed a friend's guitar for 6 D-Tunas (drop D to Drop C). Not only extended the teem route towards the butt end of the guitar, but also had that new space go deeper than the area under the fine tuners. Easy enough because it was a natural wood finish, if it had been a finish likely to chip I would have been more hesitant.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
586019086_tp.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dimezakkrandykirk

Reaction score
alrighty. i'm thinking of doing it (or having it done) on my dean or maybe getting a guitar that has it done already.

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
I routed a friend's guitar for 6 D-Tunas (drop D to Drop C). Not only extended the teem route towards the butt end of the guitar, but also had that new space go deeper than the area under the fine tuners. Easy enough because it was a natural wood finish, if it had been a finish likely to chip I would have been more hesitant.

I'd love to see a picture of that.

perpetualhate

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing this to a guitar but the finish makes it impossible if I care about the look of the guitar.. Ergo, I've stopped using a D-Tuna. I actually ended up buying another like model guitar and just keep it D tuned, and the other not. Having gone with that idea, I am now guitarded. I own like 10 guitars...

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
These are Aoi's new customs

316731_283575368413438_1557535920_n.jpg

260010_283577465079895_192244870_n.jpg

Also, to the guy with 6 D-tunas, wouldn't dropping it a whole step mess up the Floyd?

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
Any more than 2 strings and he would block it. I think he might have had to modify (slightly) a couple of the to get correct tuning change too.

edsped

Reaction score
I don't get it, if it's not flatmount wouldn't the other strings go out of tune once it's engaged?

perpetualhate

Reaction score
I don't get it, if it's not flatmount wouldn't the other strings go out of tune once it's engaged?

I can't tell you the physics behind it, but I can tell you that I have it on a gutiar and it does not cause other strings to need to be tuned. It just works, that is all I can say.

edsped

Reaction score
I'm sure all the strings would be in tune with each other but wouldn't they all be slightly flat?

perpetualhate

Reaction score
I'm sure all the strings would be in tune with each other but wouldn't they all be slightly flat?

You would think, but they're not. I only have one guitar with the D-Tuna, it's a Peavey EVH. Its a series 1.. When I first got it I was skeptical, especially since the guitar was like 12 years old when I got it. I bump the D-Tuna up and down and believe it or not the strings stay perfectly in tune on it. I only have to adjust the tuning knob ever so slightly on E string where the D-Tuna is actually installed. It seems when I go down to D it is a smig sharp, and when I go up it seems a tad flat. I'm sure I could fix that, but I figured I'll leave well enough alone.

I stand behind the D-Tuna, but I certainly wouldn't want it on all my guitars. Specifically because you can't use the temlo to bend up because it will press against the body. I could re-route as the OP suggested, but the body wouldn't be able to take it without wickedly F-ing the finish. Ergo, I'll leave well enough alone. it's a 12 year old guitar that is a beast. I have no intention of throwing a wrench into the spokes, so to speak.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score

They wouldn't even stay in turn with eachother. The strings don't proportionally stay in tune with movement. Not sure how these things work though. They would go sharp going to D though, not flat, as you have LESS tension up top, and spring tension has to equal string tension (less string tension = strings pull back).

Your bridge effectively needs to be set to dive only (1/2 blocked) for this doo-dad, or have some trem stabilizing device that can handle the tension changes. It is not something you can throw on a stock floyd and expect to work.

edsped

Reaction score
Whoops, yeah I actually meant slightly sharp, not slightly flat.

But by the "they would be in tune with each other" thing I guess I was sort of assuming people would tune their guitar in standard and set the D-Tuna so that when it's engaged it would be in drop D and all the strings would be close to being in relative tuning, sort of like just dropping down using the fine tuner. But you'd still have to tweak at least one of the strings even to get them all in tune with each other so in all actuality I don't know what I was thinking.