EVH Iconic EL34

• Thread starter mohi29
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mohi29

Reaction score
Just saw this on American musical, it’s not even up on the EVH site yet! What do you guys think?
IMG_2658.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Lots of features for the price range, probably sounds good. I prefer my EL34 5153S over the 6L6, but I doubt that gives me much insight into this one.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
TBH I hate when companies do this, but it makes sense based on their other offerings with 6L6/EL-34 variants. They could just as easily put a switch that allows you to use either type of power tube, they just want you to buy one and then think, "I wonder how different it sounds with ___ tubes?" And the only way to find out is buying that version. Dumb.

That said, I bet it sounds killer. Love my Iconic 40. I use it more than any other amp I own.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
The 100 watt EL34 5153s is my favorite of all of the 5150s and variants but I don't really think this product needs to exist lol
I love my 100W Stealth, so I won't buy one either. But, I like that they came out with the lower priced Iconics for those on a budget. And now you can also choose your power section which is cool.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Is it me or does this sound a little better than the 6L6? Like I could swear the 6L6 Iconic would get these weird grindy frequencies when boosted or the gain is pushed too hard but this amp doesn't seem to have it. Shit Jason's tone is probably one of the best sounds I've heard from him lmao

Stiman

Reaction score
We really need a comparison video.

I have the 15w with the single 6L6). Not knowing a whole lot about these things work technically, I wonder if they will and even can come out with a 15w single EL34.

Either way, I'm hoping for a lower wattage (non "lunchbox") head version. I would get that right away and sell the 15w combo as I prefer a head form factor.

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Is it me or does this sound a little better than the 6L6? Like I could swear the 6L6 Iconic would get these weird grindy frequencies when boosted or the gain is pushed too hard but this amp doesn't seem to have it. Shit Jason's tone is probably one of the best sounds I've heard from him lmao

Not just you. I think this sounds better than the 6L6, and I like the 6L6 Iconic quite a bit.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Everyone thought the EL-34 5150 III sounded better in videos and then people actually tried both and the excitement died down. I love EL34s but they are not the sound I associate with 5150s 🤷‍♂️

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
both Kyle and Jason's videos make the El34 version sound fat and overly warm for my taste. Boosted it sounds better imo.

')