EVH or Mesa Boogie???

• Thread starter MrFighter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

what would be your choice?

• EVH 5150 III 50 watts (mini)

Votes: 58 92.1%
  • Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 plus

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
Talking about heads. If you are a professional guitar player, and you're looking a gear professional and need a good head. What of this heads would be your choice?

as far as a mini amp shoot out between your options; i'd pick the evh just because I've been impressed by what I've seen/heard and would like to try something different. but if the mini rectifiers were included, then i'd go with that. because i'm familiar with the dual and triple rectifiers. have you found a really good price on either of these small heads?

but you did mention pro so, i'd personally go with an axe fx II-->2:100-->pair of recto 4x12 slants over 2x12s.

viesczy

Reaction score
I voted EVH. I own one, each channel gives awesome tones! Sadly blue & green share their controls, so you're either dialing a great clean w a meh crunch , a great crunch w a meh clean, or try to settle and get two sorta meh aounding channels.

I opted for a great crunch and split my coils/roll the volume for a "cleaner" tone on the green channel.

If you'd've put the mini recto in there, I might've voted that... but you didn't.

Derek

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
You can't really go wrong with the 5150 mini for that, but I dunno why you wouldn't consider a used mesa single recto instead of the express, unless you're definitely set on buying new (which is understandable I reckon). Either way, the 5150 III mini would be great.

MrFighter

Reaction score
You can't really go wrong with the 5150 mini for that, but I dunno why you wouldn't consider a used mesa single recto instead of the express, unless you're definitely set on buying new (which is understandable I reckon). Either way, the 5150 III mini would be great.

Well, the reason because I not want a used Mesa Dual Rectifier is that only have 1300$ and this is ripped to pieces and not in good conditions. I prefer buy a Dual Rectifier in 1600$ or 1500$ that in 1300$, because is more reliable. It scares me buy a used Dual Rectifier in used condition with only 1300$ for that reason (not can get more money for my new head, only 1300$, help me please!).

But, I not know, could be wrong. What you say?

MrPowers

Reaction score
Well, the reason because I not want a used Mesa Dual Rectifier is that only have 1300$ and this is ripped to pieces and not in good conditions. I prefer buy a Dual Rectifier in 1600$ or 1500$ that in 1300$, because is more reliable. It scares me buy a used Dual Rectifier in used condition with only 1300$ for that reason (not can get more money for my new head, only 1300$, help me please!).

Honestly there isn't much to worry about buying a used Dual or Triple Rectifier. Those things are built like tanks. As long as you dont start going below $800 they are probably going to be fine. I traded a PERFECT condition Triple Rectifier in to my local music shop and they only ended up selling it for $1000.

My buddy just got a perfect condition, 15 year old, 2 Channel Triple Rectifier for $800 off craigslist.

Honestly as long as you try it out; it works; is loud as all get out; and there aren't weird buzzes, crackles, or the volume doesn't fade you should be totally fine.

MrFighter

Reaction score
Honestly there isn't much to worry about buying a used Dual or Triple Rectifier. Those things are built like tanks. As long as you dont start going below $800 they are probably going to be fine. I traded a PERFECT condition Triple Rectifier in to my local music shop and they only ended up selling it for $1000.

My buddy just got a perfect condition, 15 year old, 2 Channel Triple Rectifier for $800 off craigslist.

Honestly as long as you try it out; it works; is loud as all get out; and there aren't weird buzzes, crackles, or the volume doesn't fade you should be totally fine.

What you think about this:

Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier 150 Multi Watt Reborn Footswitch incl Excellent 809404098138 | eBay

FallOfHumanity

Reaction score
I'm an advocate for Mesa. I've been using Mesa exclusively for quite some time and absolutely love their products. I agree with people here in saying that you should be looking a full blown Rectofier. And even if you find one you can't fully afford right now, consider how long it might take you to save the extra $100 or $200 to get it (though you should have no problems finding one within your budget).

Saving the extra couple hundred bucks for a product that will deliver far more of what you're looking for seems like a no-brainer to me. I say the same thing to my brother, who seems to enjoy wasting money on low quality guitars:

"Why are you buying low quality guitars for $500 every few weeks when you could ONE solid US-made guitar for the same price if you just save for a month or two?"

Edit: Check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie...d=100005&prg=1088&rk=2&rkt=5&sd=321186306841&

Choop

uwu
Reaction score

Anytime buying used it can be risky. I've only really had one major problem buying used with a Mesa Mk III on ebay, it had problems that the seller didn't disclose. Usually when I get used amps they work fine. I recommended the single recto though because it's 50w and can be found for pretty cheap used, I think that'd be more comparable to the 5150 mini. TBH though if you definitely want to buy new, the 5150 III mini is an awesome deal even at new price! And it should be able to do everything that you want it to.

')