EVH or Mesa Boogie???

• Thread starter MrFighter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

what would be your choice?

• EVH 5150 III 50 watts (mini)

Votes: 58 92.1%
  • Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 plus

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrFighter

Reaction score
Talking about heads. If you are a professional guitar player, and you're looking a gear professional and need a good head. What of this heads would be your choice?

evh-5150-iii-mini-50w-black.jpg

350-EXP550PlusHD_detail1.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cobhc221

Reaction score
Talking about heads. If you are a professional guitar player, and you're looking a gear professional and need a good head. What of this heads would be your choice?

evh-5150-iii-mini-50w-black.jpg

350-EXP550PlusHD_detail1.jpg

i'd choose the EVH 5150 50 watt hands down.
its a pretty straight forward head and it has a monster sound to it! :hbang:

UncurableZero

Reaction score
If I'm going for blues to hard rock I'd get the Mesa, anything heavier - the EVH.

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
I haven't tried the Mesa so my opinion might not be too valuable but I do know that I tried a 5150 III 50w out and was amazed at what a versatile and brutal beast it is!
Try it out if you can :agreed:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The Mesa is good for cleans up to rock, but trying to play metal would kinda be pushing it

However, the EVH is a whole other (and more versatile) beast! Beyond the sounds it can do, it's midi capable and has a resonance control, which can both be useful

Mega-Mads

Not an IMN
Reaction score
I think it would be more fair if you set a dual rectifier up against a evh 5153 =)

atticus1088

Reaction score

I have the 50w 5150III, and I love it but if you actually plan on gigging ("professional guitar player"). I would go for the 100w EVH. I'm not saying this because of volume levels at all, as it's not a factor. I'm recommending it because of the dedicated EQ/Volume/Gain for each channel, the volume jump issue can be an issue if you plan on playing live. Of course you can go the midi route. But most people don't want to spend the extra money for that.

MrFighter

Reaction score
The Mesa is good for cleans up to rock, but trying to play metal would kinda be pushing it

However, the EVH is a whole other (and more versatile) beast! Beyond the sounds it can do, it's midi capable and has a resonance control, which can both be useful

With a good OD pedal as a Maxon OD 808 or the new Mesa Boogie Tone Burst, I think that the Mesa is high gain with this, but, I not know. What you say?

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
Your comparing apples to oranges here. That particular Mesa, as great of an amp as it is, and it really is, is not meant for high gain. It's more of a bluesy style rock amp, with amazing cleans. I also agree with the above post that said you really should compare it to a rectifier (or mark 4 or 5). If that were the case I'd take a Mesa all day long (but I've got a hard on for Mesa amps).

Out of the 2 you posted about, I'd take the EVH.

MrFighter

Reaction score
Your comparing apples to oranges here. That particular Mesa, as great of an amp as it is, and it really is, is not meant for high gain. It's more of a bluesy style rock amp, with amazing cleans. I also agree with the above post that said you really should compare it to a rectifier (or mark 4 or 5). If that were the case I'd take a Mesa all day long (but I've got a hard on for Mesa amps).

Out of the 2 you posted about, I'd take the EVH.

Well, the other problem is that Mesa is made in USA, and the EVH is made in Mexico. The Mesa have betters components no? Is better in quality of build I think.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
Well, the other problem is that Mesa is made in USA, and the EVH is made in Mexico. The Mesa have betters components no? Is better in quality of build I think.

In this case, I don't think country of production really matters.

Yes, Mesa being made in the USA, could yield better components, but that isn't always true. You can look at companies like Marshall in that regard. Marshall's are made in the UK, and I doubt they use any less quality componets. Besides, there's so much importing and exporting of goods and services these days....does it really make it "American" or rather "Assembled in the US"

I don't think Fender or EVH would have stamped their names on it if it wasn't a solid piece of equipment.

Hell, speaking of Fender, you can look at their MIM strats. I personally, hear more good about them than I usually do about USA made's.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Better components still wouldn't mean it could handle high gain better than the EVH. :scratch:

Judging by what I heard from the Express amps, they're not good for metal at all. With some tweaking, the EVH can do blues and crunchy tones, so I'd prefer it over the Express.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
The Express can't do high gain like the EVH but if you are familiar with Mesa Boogie's you can dial in what would be considered a high gain tone but thats only if you push the amp to its limit. The EVH has gain to spare...

As for quality, Mesa maintains a level of build quality that is second to none. I believe Fender and EVH routinely stamp their name on "far from solid" pieces of equipment! I like the EVH 5150 III but I don't think Fender maintains the same level of quality control as Mesa.

texshred777

Reaction score
Out of those two I'd pick the Mesa.

I do not play metal or anything particularly brutal.

Pav

???
Reaction score
Definitely get the EVH. A Mesa Express won't have that kind of gain.

')