Evil Marshall sought

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
When I ran my dual recto, I had a 3-channel and used channel 2 set on modern for my high gain tone. I think settings were something like this (using o'clock positions for knobs):

gain: 1-2:00
bass: 11:00
mid: 1:00
treble: 1:00
Pres: 1:00

I used a TS9 to boost with and had the tone turned to about 1 o'clock.

Just work on it I guess, vintage mode sounds great on channel 2 as well, or channel 3 for that matter. The active eq on rectos is kind of weird, most of the knobs tend to sound best when kept from 11:00-1:00 o'clock. Switching to el34s would definitely help with the sound you want, but shouldn't be required to get in the ballpark at least.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vick1000

Reaction score
You should easily achieve that tone with a boosted Dual Rec. with EL34 type tubes. Remember the EQ is active, lower the highs/lows a bit, and crank the mids. But you will need a TS9 type OD for boost and added saturation. You can lower the highs even more and add presence to get that "raspy" Marshall top end.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Slap some Mesa EL's in that recto and flip the bias switch.
Instantly changes the amp's character and the knobs activity at certain frequency centers.
More aggression and bite in the upper-mids and treble, but at the expense of low-end hugeness and some of the ultra-presence detail. Both are great for different goals.
Worst case scenario you'll have a spare set for the Marshall.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
If it's too dark and sounds like there's a blanket on it, do these things, in order of possible solutions.

1.) Bring the gain down.

2.) Bring the bass down.

3.) Raise the presence.

4.) Raise the mids

5.) Raise the treble.

If, after you've tried those things, and you're still having issues, it might be worth the EL34 swap.

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
my votes will be the two el34 swap for 50 watts @4ohms, eq in the loop and x patterned celestion 75/v30speakers that combo will slay along with the eq suggestions above my post

thrashcomics

Ibanez and Line 6 since 1999
Reaction score
I can agree with the el34s in a recto on vintage mode. my 800 was far from versatile.

but the one thing it did, it did better than ANYTHING else.

mhickman2

The Abiding Dude
Reaction score
I tried a shit ton amps after I got bored with the Axe Fx rig. I found that I liked the presence of mids of Marshall, but the modern tightness of ENGL. The JVM410 did that really well, but really lacked the mid structure I was looking for. When I tried the 410HJS, it was really the perfect match. Plus the extra gates were much more usefull than the reverbs on the 410

enuenu

Reaction score
I've got some Mesa EL34s coming with a Canadian relative in May. I'm not paying $67 a tube here in Oz. Tried dropping the gain too and that helped. That Marshall chainsaw haunts my dreams though.

FretsOnFyre

SSO's sociopath
Reaction score
A DSL, JVM or Mesa Stiletto would all work really well. A Splawn Quick Rod is worth looking at too.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
I have both these amps. The mesa can do marshall, but the marshall could never even approach doing mesa, if you catch my drift.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
If you are considering a JVM, I'd also check out a Splawn Quick Rod.

I don't have one, nor have I tried one, but Karl Sanders uses one in the studio and at home.

That's what I would try.

Last edited:

guy in latvia

Reaction score
Have you considered a Bogner? The xtacy has a really grindy midrange while sounding quite classic on its own.

enuenu

Reaction score
Went to my local to try some Marshalls while I wait for the Mesa EL 34s and MXR 10 band (thanks steinmetzify). Here are my findings after a quick play at fairly modest volumes;

Blackstar Series 1 100 W - shop dude suggested it and it was pretty good. Not enough to convince me. Seemed to lack something, maybe that rawness I seek.

JVM210H - Liked it. Best one I tried. High gain had a nice crisp and raw edge to it. I talked to a respected tech/modder/builder once who does a lot of work on Marshalls. I asked him which Marshall for metal? He said DSL, TSL or JCM800 (old ones better). I mentioned JVMs and he said they were rubbish. Not really sure why. He's a purist I guess.

JVM 410HJS - Nice too, better cleans than JVM210 but seemed to have slightly smaller balls in high gain area. Minimal difference but my ears tell me this.

DSL100H - Pretty good high gain tone but not quite as good as the JVM210H at the volumes I was playing at. However the amp sounded like it had a major problem. During the quarter of a second after you hit a chug, the volume was significantly reduced before returning to normal. It was like someone had a blanket over the cab and flicked it off just as you hit a note or chord. It was terrible. The shop dude didn't say much when I pointed it out. If that is normal for this amp it is a POS in my opinion.

KKJCM800 - Shop dude said forget it, has to be too loud to sound good. No FX loop either. Should have played it though. I may return. They have had it for ages.

(A little KK anecdote. I met KK backstage once. I got an invite to the chill out room backstage before a gig. KK was just standing there so I just walked up to him and said hi. He looked right through me without uttering a response or acknowledging my existence. I made one more attempt at polite conversation and got the same response. Then I walked off and chatted to the rest of the band who were very courteous and friendly. Maybe I wasn't deferential enough for KK's liking? His behaviour was so bizarre it was actually amusing. I guess he's a ROCKSTAR)

')