Evo 7 vs EMG

• Thread starter Vince
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Vince, awesome man, very thorough review. If and when I swap the pickups in the CSt, it'll be for a cream Evo7. :yesway:

gotta disagree on one thing though - mahogany will NOT give you a better tone than basswood/alder, just a different one. personally, I think that while my mahogany ST kills for rhythm, the basswood UV has a better lead sound (smoother and rounder), and part of it of course is the singlecoils, but I've always loved the tone of a good strat... Very clear, crisp, and bell-like. I've said it like a million and a half times here, but I'd contemplate giving a testicle for a proper seven string strat. :agreed:

-D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
If and when I swap the pickups in the CSt, it'll be for a cream Evo7. :yesway:

Drew said:
mahogany will NOT give you a better tone than basswood/alder, just a different one.

Drew said:
I'd contemplate giving a testicle for a proper seven string strat.

:noplease: Sometimes it's like I don't even know you.

:lol: How was your vacation Drew? Good to see you back!

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
If and when I swap the pickups in the CSt, it'll be for a cream Evo7.

Disclaimer:
IF you didn't see this coming, you might not have a brain.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
Disclaimer:
IF you didn't see this coming, you might not have a brain.

no shit :lol:

Drew, you know we love ya man, but creme pickups?!?!?! :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
hahahahahaha, you guys fuckin' kill me. :lol:

Overall, great, although I was sick as a dog for most of it, and ended up missing the wedding itself because mapquest sucks (alternately, it might have been because I'm an idiot, but my money's on the former). I love DC, hate most of NYC (though a friend of mine I gave a lift back lives in Brooklyn Heights which I absolutely loved, largely because it reminded me of an expanded Beacon Hill), and after spending a week city-hopping now realize that, if I didn't live in Boston, I'd probably want to. It's just the perfect cross between size (i.e- lots of stuff happens) and character (minimal urban sprawl, even in the heart of downtown you can still see the sky, and lots of cool little shops and resteraunts).

In short, I almost feel human enough to go back to work. :lol:

-D

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
desertdweller said:
Drew, you know we love ya man, but creme pickups?!?!?! :lol:

whatever, they'd look great against the vintage violin flame top. :fawk: if it'd make you feel better, I'd also be quite happy with white, but that guitar just doesn't look right with black pickups, IMO.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Is it safe to say that if I miss the bite of EMG's when playing my Uni but refuse to modify the guitar to accomodate EMG's that I may be happy with an EVO?

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
LordOVchaoS said:
Is it safe to say that if I miss the bite of EMG's when playing my Uni but refuse to modify the guitar to accomodate EMG's that I may be happy with an EVO?

The Evo 7, IMO, is a more articulate, higher gain, and more versatile pickup than the EMG 7-string pickups, with more flexability (coiltapping). The EQ and tone of the EVO 7 and the EMG is very very similiar.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
desertdweller said:
The Evo 7, IMO, is a more articulate, higher gain, and more versatile pickup than the EMG 7-string pickups, with more flexability (coiltapping). The EQ and tone of the EVO 7 and the EMG is very very similiar.

Thanks man.

You know what though? I think I grew to like my Blaze's today after I posted this. I'm so used to dialing amps in while using EMG's that I forgot how to get good tone out of anything else. I had some time to fuck around today and I got my Blaze's fucking BLAZING!!! I still may try an EVO, why not. But for now I am satisfied with what I've got.

that guy

Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
What about the quiet factor? The EVO7, being passive, is susceptible to hiss/line noise like every other passive pickup, whereas the 707, being active and low-impedance, should be noticeably quieter (I know a gate changes everything from the listener's perspective.)

What did you find? (Did you test the two without a gate to see?)

Just curious. For me, a MAJOR selling point to active pickups is the quietness of the signal, thanks to the buffered output and low magnetic field.

your amp may also play a part in the noise ...i get spanish radio if i use my strat on high gain anything

jforsythe

jforsythe
Reaction score
I was in a recording session the other day, and I brought my Les Paul (6-string) with a 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck. The music was light rock, and the songwriter wanted a semi-clean rhythm sound on the bridge pickup so I picked the JCM 800 sound on my Line 6 HD 147 and rolled the volume back. What I got was this really buzzy and annoying sound which everyone was not too pleased with. On a previous session for another artist, I was attempting the same type of tone with my UV777 with an Evo7 in the bridge and same amp settings and I got the exact sound I was looking for, especially without the buzz. I just love my 81 for high gain tones but when it comes to playing with the dynamics of the volume knob, the 81 definitely misses. On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of the Evo7 for the bridge sound I like for metal rhythm playing, but the lead tone and playing with the dynamics of the volume knob are really nice. I'm sure the differences in tone also have to do with the different body woods. Has anybody here with EMG's also experienced that buzzy tone that I'm talking about with the volume rolled off? Does that only happen with the 81 (or 81-7) and not their other pickups like the 707. I'm having a custom 7-string guitar built (mahogany body, maple neck) and I have no idea what pickups to get.

gojira

Reaction score
I've had both the ev0-7 and 81-7 in my guitars and I GREATLY preffered the 81-7 -

')