Evolution or D Activator.. that's the question...

Simiot

Reaction score
Hey there!

I'm new here! I just bought my first seven strings guitar, a Jackson JS32 7Q (basswood body, 26'5" scale), and I really love it! It's really really comfortable!! But it's an inexpensive guitar, so the pickups are... well, they aren't the best on it. :hbang:

I wanna change them, and I'm going to put some DiMarzios. I read a lot of threads but I still don't have it clear. I think I have clear that I want a Air Norton in the neck (I really want a good and clear clean), but I don't know what to buy for the bridge. Some people recommended me the Evolution, but I really like some videos I saw with the Activator. I wanna do really punchy rythms, and I read some people telling the evo is not the best on that. In other hand, I don't know if the Activator will be enough versatile... Can you help me??

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Doulton

Reaction score
I've got the Air Norton/ Evo7 combo in my Rg1527 and its fantastic. The Evo7 is very punchy and versatile while the AN is sweet and warm.

akinari

Reaction score
I've got the Air Norton/ Evo7 combo in my Rg1527 and its fantastic. The Evo7 is very punchy and versatile while the AN is sweet and warm.

I'm planning on using this exact combo in my next 7, actually. The Evo is a great pickup and a bit brighter than a D Activator, I would say.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
D-Activator for a bit more saturation with high gain playing as the main focus, Evo for a bit more cut and dynamics with versatility in mind.

That's not to say that the DA isn't reasonably versatile or that the Evo can't do heavy, though. They just excel in different areas.

Simiot

Reaction score
Thanks for asking!!

Then the Evo is great too for metal rythms?? Is not worst than the D Activator?? I like versatility and I'll appreciate more dynamics and cut, but what more I need is a good metal rythm pickup! I hope the Evo is pretty good for that!

It's really hard to choose without being able to try them.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Then the Evo is great too for metal rythms?? Is not worst than the D Activator?? I like versatility and I'll appreciate more dynamics and cut, but what more I need is a good metal rythm pickup! I hope the Evo is pretty good for that!

The Evo7 certainly can handle metal rhythm playing. In fact it crushes.

gay4ass

Reaction score
It really depends on what you want.

The D Act to me sounds and feels more compressed and modern. A little emgish.

Evo is more articulate but i find them a bit too bright and thin.

If i am chugging my 7th string all the time, i will take the DAct without hesitation.

Evo rocks for more traditional stuff and lead playing.

Simiot

Reaction score
Thanks for asking guys, I really appreciate your opinions. I read the entire thread of "guide" but i still doubt.

I think I'd like more the rythms with the D Activator than with the Evo, cause it's more agressive, and I think that if I want versatility I can use the DA with the AN.

But now the milion dollar question: is the Activator suitable enough with basswood?? I read some people saying that it's a bad combination... What can you say?

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
From your description of what you want i'd definitely take the D-activator over the Evolution. It definitely has some punch to it, really nice high output bridge pickup. I use it in basswood and love it. Especially for a live band setting, I prefer the D-activator in my basswood RG as it is more punch over mahogany - which I also have it in with another guitar. It just jumps out more in basswood.

I like the Evo neck pickup much more than the bridge version, but also dig the Air Norton in the neck - can't go wrong there IMO

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I really like the D-Activator 7 in basswood. In fact, I've had the DA7 in three different RG's and it's been great in all of them. I also had a DA7 set in an LTD AW-7, and they sounded a bit darker and had more thump because of the construction and different wood choice compared to the RG's.

Simiot

Reaction score
Okey! I'll go to the DA, then!! Thanks a lot!
I just hope it will be enough versatile!

gclef

Reaction score
I have the DActivator/ air Norton s (single coil sized version) 6 string set in my basswood rg3xxv and I gotta say that they pair up well. I like them more than the Duncan full shred set in my other rg.

Playing with the dactivators height really changes the amount of aggression it has. It has plenty of power to compensate for when you lower it. Lower your volume know also mellows it out somewhat.

I like the air Norton s more than the regular one.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
I've never played the Evo 7, but I've got a DA7/Liquifire 7 combo in my RG752 and it's a lethal combo. DA7 is tight, clear, and articulate. I play thrash, prog metal (DT), and shred. Works perfectly and splits nicely for cleans with the Liquifire 7.

Simiot

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm going to buy the DA definitely!
And I think that for the neck I prefer the Air Norton than the Liquid Fire. I really want a good and warm clean.

Reaction score
Hi there.

Please allow me to share my thoughts on these pickups, since I have them by my side.

I have tried both AN7 + EVO7 combos and DA7 set on my basswood RG7421. I feel that the DA7 set is a great combo, but a bit too aggressive for my needs. I mean, I like them, I used to have them installed on my basswood RG with flatwound strings and they delivered quite well.

What I find is that if one likes to play with wiring options, coil splits on higher output pickups work better. DA7's coil splits were amazing, either in the neck or bridge pickup. If one wants a little less power, one could also use the parallel mode, which gives a nice brighter humbucking sound with less power than the serial mode (full on humbucking tone).

This to say that IF power is law, DA7 is the tool. Both DA7 and EVO7 excel at metal, with basswood guitar bodies. They both have plenty of juice and harmonics to work with, being the DA7 a bit more harsh, harder and therefore less forgiving, it captures every thing with punch and in-your-face tone. The EVO7 works better for picking dynamics, if one needs them.

So, I love distortion, but I am finding myself playing away from it. IF i was a straight metal guy, I'd be on a DA7, as I am not so, my choice is falling on the EVO7 at the moment, 'cause it also does metal pretty well.

At the end, you'll do well with both, but if you like versatility, please, do play with wiring options like an on/on/on mini switch for Serial/single/parallel sounds for each pickup (neck and bridge). It is only then you'll truly learn the power each pickup can unleash... tone wise, I mean...

charlessalvacion

Reaction score
I have the EVO/AN set in my 1527. They are a nice combo.

However, i am also thinking about trying the DA7. How does the D-Activator perform with regards to lead playing?

Can harmonics/dime squeals be easy to achieve? Thanks!

Latest posts

')