Examples of Breakdowns before "core" bands.

• Thread starter Evil7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

White Cluster

Gives Life Meaning
Reaction score

Starts at 2:12.It's short,simple but one of my favs. Throws my neck out everytime..and a great solo follows:shred:

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
pantera did breakdowns the best. they didnt make them out to be the most important part of the song like nowadays when the songs like ok here it comes here it comes you know its coming....BBWWOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
^That's what I love, lol. Oddly enough, I don't play them nearly as much or even like most of these bands do. But I love when a breakdown just comes blasting in with a nasty bass hit.

Caliban's style is probably my favorite.

Blackhearted

Reaction score
I think that the solo versus breakdown argument is kind of silly, because you can have a guitar solo DURING a breakdown. Nevermore does it in Born. I personally think that a breakdown is a perfect place for a solo, and I wish I heard bands do it more often.

Reaction score
I think that the solo versus breakdown argument is kind of silly, because you can have a guitar solo DURING a breakdown. Nevermore does it in Born. I personally think that a breakdown is a perfect place for a solo, and I wish I heard bands do it more often.

Likewise, it works very well, throw in some minor sweeps and it sounds really evil; but really cliche :lol:

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score

This song is what I always think of when I think of killer breakdowns. Although it happens to be the chorus sort of.

groph

Reaction score

Yeah there might be a trend here with None So Vile.

Given that a breakdown is merely a point in a song which emphasizes heaviness, there's bound to me breakdowns before the inception of modern crabcore.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I suspect that what is being called a "breakdown" is a form of bridge, and that "breakin' it down" is one of those terms which was popularized in rap, and then taken on by various 'core bands for that bridge.

And yet, I can't bring myself to waste time listening to the videos and seeing for myself. If people in genres want to rename things for themselves, why not? It makes their musical form seem a little more unique for them, and that's okay.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
easy. the difference is back in the day you broke down a riff.. the was a whole riff played half-time. nowadays you pedal mindlessly on a single note... or if you're a more tech band you play the same note, just with a more complex picking pattern. if it moves the song forward i like it, but when its thrown in just so people can mosh or ninja spasm then i gag

')