Examples of Breakdowns before "core" bands.

• Thread starter Evil7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score

3:09 sounds like a breakdown, to me anyway, but I'm not incredibly knowledgeable on the topic:lol:
Was released in 1997 by the way.

Reaction score
Liege Of Inveracity by Suffocation, the first official "breakdown" I can remember.

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
I can't believe this one hasn't been posted yet, it's probably the most famous :metal:

3:40 = :shred::wallbash:

TheWreck

Grind Your Mind!
Reaction score
Pretty recent but a good example of a breakdown done right. 1:55

I was about to post that song! The bass line going along, first time i listened that song, I was amazed that on the second pattern they just play it with the hihat open to bring it to another level! That song with «Closer to the End», are my nasum favorites, the break at the end is just so deep into the emotions....but i can't find it in good quality one
so here's «Fight Terror with Terror» with an amateur video..but it's the best sounding one that i've found.
Enjoy

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
I can't believe this one hasn't been posted yet, it's probably the most famous :metal:

3:40 = :shred::wallbash:

Came to this thread JUST to post this. Was as shocked as you when I saw that it wasn't on the first page. :metal:

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Foxy Shazam certainly didn't come around before -core. Plus they were a core band before this whole gimmick. They're from here. Used to be known as Train of Thought.

As you can tell its clearly a core-ish breakdown.

but is awesome usage.

Reaction score
Wait for the part at 1:33, then find the nearest child...

Wait for the part at 3:02 after the ridiculous drum part, then find the nearest female or toilet...

Wait for the part at 3:00, then bang your fucking head...

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Altough this isnt BEFORE "core" (as wanted, nbut neither are 98% of the other songs mentioned), i still cant believe no one posted this:

I think i should also add this to the "songs that make you wanna punch.."-thread. 8)

Reaction score
Here's one that used to fuck with my head:

Listen to the whole song. The breakdown is at 3:10 and again at 4:12. This used to be my favorite breakdown.

You want old breakdowns? Go to 2:28.

You want breakdowns that are faster than usual? 2:30. That's what an Origin breakdown sounds like.

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
Who ever just neg reped me with the educational insight of: "Breakdowns are just a break in tempo. Almost all bands/groups have them."​

I already knew this but thank you. Next time sign your rep.​

I was interested in hearing metal breakdowns or other styles before "core" music.
Check out this extreme breakdown / bridge in hiphop/r&b music before "core" metal !
It greatly changes the tempo and mood of the song.
:fawk:
Right around 2:00

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
I see Cryptopsy and Suffo are well represented in this thread. Could still use some Morbid Angel though, but i can't really think of a good example. Any one of their riffs could practically be considered a breakdown in the context of another song. They just play slow, groovy, evil riffs all of the time :metal:.

Maybe @2:17 or @2:40, never much of a tempo change with them though but you get the picture

Possibly a better example, Rapture @1:50

')