Exotype (djent-dance?)

• Thread starter The Omega Cluster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
damn it looks like there's a controversy going on!

I don't see why a metal band incorporating electro elements should be called a sell out. I mean, mixing stuff that you like together is intrinsic to music, but fans of both sides of it rarely like the mix. In this case, electro fans won't like it because of metal, and metal fans won't like it because of electro. Peace, dudes!

For the hacktivist ripoff... I gotta give it to you :D (and hacktivist is a band I like really much)

I also have to admit that the "Can you hear me?" at the beginning was pointless, cheesy, and made me cringe, but I liked the music so I stayed.

I personally don't like electro all that much, and couldn't tell the difference between house, trance, dance, etc. etc. etc. but recently I've been exposed to a few bands that mix this with metal or djent, and really dig it (namely Exotype, Fail Emotions, and Mad Essence, and probably others I can't remember right now). It's a reunion of two main genres of music and it gives a particular taste to the sound.

I love music of all kinds. Especially electronic music(minus dubstep). This just sucks to me, personally. *shrugs* Doesn't seem genuine at all. More like "Dude, kids are into shit like this! We could make money! F*ck artistic integrity and creativity!"

That's just MY opinion though. If you like it, that's a-okay, pal. Just 'cause some people don't, doesn't mean that it is deemed shitty generally by everyone as a whole. You don't have to justify what you like, bud. :yesway:

I like music that you and everyone else would probably hate, but as long as I enjoy it then that's all that counts.

*internet shoulder pat*

SteveADVAITA

Vocalist of Exotype
Reaction score
Hey dudes, I'm the vocalist of Exotype.

Thanks for checking out the track. I really appreciate your opinions on it, either good or bad. The bad are just as important, as afterall there is no such thing as bad press.

I will touch lightly however on the sellout thing. I can see how some people could gather that we don't care about our music and are just meshing what's hot right now. That's not the case though. It's an honest instance of all of us in the band really enjoying djent and dubstep and we wanted to find a way to mesh them cohesively, as it seems it hasn't really been done before. Unless you count The Algorithm, but that's a different ratio of mixture.

Above all, we aren't a metal/dubstep band. We are a metal/electronic band. We like dubstep, but we also very much like trance, glitch, house, hardstyle, industrial, nu-metal (to a point) and indie music. So expect to hear a myriad more influences in our future tracks!

We can't please everyone, but I am glad some people like it. For those that don't, I only ask that you keep us in your peripherals, as we might just be able to convince you in the future.

Cheers djentleman, and much love from Exotype, The Reset, and The Advaita Concept

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
You're right, there is no sellout here, because you were trendy electrodjent from the start.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
You're right, there is no sellout here, because you were trendy electrodjent from the start.

Their previous band wasn't. This band must really piss you off for you to make your distaste for them known in two separate threads. :lol:

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
The band is terrible in my opinion. It has all the #swag and #yolo the cool kids are into these days, but not even the slightest edge, so to speak. Yet another crowdpleaser for the genericore scene.

Man, I wish I'd stumble over a young band that does its own thing every once in a while, a band that tries to push the limits rather than dumbing shit down to the lowest possible quality of Pop music. It just doesn't happen anymore. It's all choreographed mainstream accessability and has zero Rock'n'Roll spirit.

Haters gonna hate
Just the excuse for literally everything these days. Don't mean to be a dick, but I can't hear it anymore.

SteveADVAITA

Vocalist of Exotype
Reaction score
shitsøn;3765724 said:
The band is terrible in my opinion. It has all the #swag and #yolo the cool kids are into these days, but not even the slightest edge, so to speak. Yet another crowdpleaser for the genericore scene.

Man, I wish I'd stumble over a young band that does its own thing every once in a while, a band that tries to push the limits rather than dumbing shit down to the lowest possible quality of Pop music. It just doesn't happen anymore. It's all choreographed mainstream accessability and has zero Rock'n'Roll spirit.

Just the excuse for literally everything these days. Don't mean to be a dick, but I can't hear it anymore.

Well you're certainly entitled to your own opinion, and I respect that. We have a wealth of fans who enjoy what we are doing, and most of all WE enjoy what we are doing and the music we make. That's all that matters. Just keep in mind that there's nothing wrong with putting aside your medal of elitism and condescension once in a while to take in the expressions of us lesser beings. :lol:

SteveADVAITA

Vocalist of Exotype
Reaction score
Well you're certainly entitled to your own opinion, and I respect that. We have a wealth of fans who enjoy what we are doing, and most of all WE enjoy what we are doing and the music we make. That's all that matters. Just keep in mind that there's nothing wrong with putting aside your medal of elitism and condescension once in a while to take in the expressions of us lesser beings. :lol:

and keep in mind Im also the vocalist of The Reset and The Advaita Concept. Everyone's got a few notches left in their horizon belt.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
I don't have to be an elitist to dislike this type of music. I like heavy music and keep looking for new bands, hoping that something slightly original will pop up one day. Which actually happens in the more extreme Metal underground a lot lately, but not in scenes related to anything that ends with a -core or is labeled as Djent/"Progressive" "Metal", cough. The things that are sold under those banners just make me cringe, because it's reeking of conformity with the mainstream rather than breaking out of it.

But yeah, you have to enjoy what you're doing, I agree.

and keep in mind Im also the vocalist of The Reset and The Advaita Concept. Everyone's got a few notches left in their horizon belt.
Never heard of either before, so I checked them out. The Advaita Concept sounds like any other "Djent" band to me. I can appreciate the will to experiment more in the music of The Reset, but it's still lacking that edge I was talking about before. No surprises here, just music that is up with the times. But that's all I can really say about it.

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
I will touch lightly however on the sellout thing. I can see how some people could gather that we don't care about our music and are just meshing what's hot right now. That's not the case though. It's an honest instance of all of us in the band really enjoying djent and dubstep and we wanted to find a way to mesh them cohesively, as it seems it hasn't really been done before. Unless you count The Algorithm, but that's a different ratio of mixture.

I was one of the dudes that wasn't all too into what you guys do, but I definitely have a new level of respect for you and your band for coming on here and talking to the people listening to your stuff, and being able to take constructive criticism. All I can say is, some MUCH more bangin' production is needed, and your music would be soooo much better off for it. I'll be checking out your stuff in the future!

Reaction score
We have a wealth of fans who enjoy what we are doing, and most of all WE enjoy what we are doing and the music we make.

Yeah man, the music you are playing is hot stuff right now, you will definitely have lots of interest from people.

What bands have influenced you guys? Have you heard of Hacktivist?

Reaction score
Not a fan of this, but man, I love The Reset.

I wish you guys could afford color shirts.
coughdesigningfullcolorthenbeingtold1isreallyannoyingcough

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
Guys, this is fraudulent garbage.

Seriously, just the lowest common denominator.

Remember, the cry of, "Well, our fans love what we do" is also the cry of Larry The Cable Guy.

KarlMagnusRobin

Köttbullar är fint..
Reaction score
Reminds me of Dead By April.. they were quite unique when they started out back in 2006 or whatever the years was, first band I ever heard of playing westlife-metal!

I could totally see myself listening to this back then.. now, I only wonder what the hell I was doing!

Nats

Reaction score
Does everyone that's in a band Google their name to find what people are saying on forums about them to come in and talk about it with them, or is it just the douches that do that?

Reaction score
Holy crap, lol...

Listen to this FellSilent song at 3:22:

Now Listen to this Exotype intro riff:

Was that...literally copy/pasted with the pitched altered? Someone has some explaining to do. :eek: :lol:

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
THE FUTURE OF HEAVY MUSIC :lol:

Do you guys seriously think you are like, the second coming or something? Not gonna go far with ripped off riffs.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
Reminds me of Dead By April.. they were quite unique when they started out back in 2006 or whatever the years was, first band I ever heard of playing westlife-metal!

I could totally see myself listening to this back then.. now, I only wonder what the hell I was doing!

Haha, I remember that band. I can't lie, they're catchy as hell! I still jam 'Angels of Clarity' sometimes.

')