Exotype (djent-dance?)

• Thread starter The Omega Cluster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I'm friends with their vocalist, Steve. I have to say I prefer him way more in The Reset.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what qualifies this as "djent."

8last

Reaction score
Sounded like typical beiber-core with a dub step sample tossed in on the breakdowns.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
This could easily be an Slave to the Game Emmure track, played on an 8 string with pointless electronic stuff thrown in. Even the vocalist sounds similar... That said, I kinda like it, would be a good, not just decent listen without the clean chorus and pointless lyrics about who the .... knows what. I noticed mixing djent and deathcore got pretty popular recently...

Reaction score
I noticed mixing djent and deathcore got pretty popular recently...

That's been happening for a couple years now. With that said, there's literally nothing deathcore about this. No blast beats, no circle pit rhythms, no death metal influence at all. It's just djent breakdowns with post-hardcoreish choruses.

OT: I cannot get into this at all. It feels like a desperate mash up of all the trends that are big with teenage kids whom are very conscious of what's popular. I know everything's subjective and all that jazz, but I can't help but feel like this band was formed with music being the very last thing they thought about. That being said, I'm sure they'll be able to fill venues and be financially successful.

Reaction score
^I knew I recognized the one guitar player from somewhere. Catalepsy was pretty dope back in the day. Saw them live a bunch of times.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
Is it just me, or do some of the verse vocals sound like they are out of a hacktivist song? The "more real then it's ever been" part.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
As soon as I heard the first lines of the cheesy frat rapping style, I dropped out. My god do I hate rap...especially when done poorly.

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
Is it just me, or do some of the verse vocals sound like they are out of a hacktivist song? The "more real then it's ever been" part.

This would be the song you're looking for:

And yeah, the line in the Exotype song is even sung with the same phrasing as the Hacktivist song...only Hacktivist is far, far better, IMO. This almost sounds like Falling in Reverse with keyboard drums and 8-strings. Me no likey. :lol:

Reaction score
damn it looks like there's a controversy going on!

I don't see why a metal band incorporating electro elements should be called a sell out. I mean, mixing stuff that you like together is intrinsic to music, but fans of both sides of it rarely like the mix. In this case, electro fans won't like it because of metal, and metal fans won't like it because of electro. Peace, dudes!

For the hacktivist ripoff... I gotta give it to you :D (and hacktivist is a band I like really much)

I also have to admit that the "Can you hear me?" at the beginning was pointless, cheesy, and made me cringe, but I liked the music so I stayed.

I personally don't like electro all that much, and couldn't tell the difference between house, trance, dance, etc. etc. etc. but recently I've been exposed to a few bands that mix this with metal or djent, and really dig it (namely Exotype, Fail Emotions, and Mad Essence, and probably others I can't remember right now). It's a reunion of two main genres of music and it gives a particular taste to the sound.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
You can like both metal and electronic music and still think this sucks. It's just okay to me. I don't hate it, but I'd never go out of my way to listen to it again.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
The 12th-teir garbage "Death"-core they were making must not have been bringing in the big bucks they were hoping for.

')