Expensive does not mean better

• Thread starter Justin7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Justin7

Reaction score
I own a Sterling Silo 20 as my main 6 and when I went to guitar center to play both Vai and Petrucci's signature guitars, I would not take either of them over my guitar FEEL wise. Although they sounded better and were made better, if you were to blind fold me, I would say that my guitar feels the best. There is always a chance that it was just a matter of adjusting, but at least now i feel more comfortable in buying a normal ibanez 7 and putting aftermaths in it as opposed to buying a prestige 7 for twice the price. I guess the point of this thread was to ask "should i buy a normal 7 for cheap and mod it or should i buy a prestige ibanez 7?"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
It's not at all impossible that you do genuinely like your guitar better than more expensive instruments as I've felt the same with a few guitars that I expected to be "upgrades" from what I had.
I would, however, take your experience with those guitars with a grain of salt. I've never played a guitar in guitar center that I didn't feel could be a much better instrument with a proper set up and a change of strings. Those guitars sit and sit and sit for months on end being played by anyone who can get their hands on them and often are put on the shop floor with the original setup they had gotten in the factory.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I agree with Necris.

To add to that, the difference between a good guitar and a great guitar is not as vast as the difference between a bad guitar and a good guitar. A lot of the guitars people on SSO drool over are made with premium woods, have good fretwork, etc. A good guitar will have decent craftsmanship, but it's not generally held to the same standards as the more expensive, "better" guitars.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I own a Sterling Silo 20 as my main 6 and when I went to guitar center to play both Vai and Petrucci's signature guitars,

Like others have said, the setups and condition of "wall guitars" at most guitar shops can be rather dubious to say the least.

I would not take either of them over my guitar FEEL wise. Although they sounded better and were made better, if you were to blind fold me, I would say that my guitar feels the best.

Everyone's hand is different, and as such some tend to levitate toward certain guitars over others. Feel is one of the most important aspects of a guitar.

For example, I love the feel of my old UV7s more than any other guitar (and I've played and owned a LOT). Are they the best built? No. Are they the most expensive (even when they were new)? Nope. Are they the best sounding? Far from it.

There is always a chance that it was just a matter of adjusting,

There's that too. Some of my favorite guitars took awhile to grow on me. It can be tough, especially when you've been playing a single guitar for a very long time.

but at least now i feel more comfortable in buying a normal ibanez 7 and putting aftermaths in it as opposed to buying a prestige 7 for twice the price. I guess the point of this thread was to ask "should i buy a normal 7 for cheap and mod it or should i buy a prestige ibanez 7?"

I have nothing against cheap guitars, but they are just that. Swapping out pickups and a few hardware pieces doesn't make a guitar nicer, it just polishes it a bit. If you're happy with that, then power to ya. :agreed:

sovereignsoviet

mike patton fanatic
Reaction score
Just gonna throw out, since they were at Guitar Center...were they properly set-up?

A lot of it is down to ergonomic feel, but I absolutely cannot play those wall guitars that haven't been properly cleaned in 3 years, no matter the quality of the guitar's potential.

E: missed Necris' post, pretend i posted 30 minutes ago

Vinchester

Reaction score
If your cheap guitars satisfy you then good for you! You just save yourself lots of GAS money! I however notice a significant difference between budget and high quality axes...

Also a pickup upgrade is not the miracle cure and may not improve thigns that much in the wrong guitar.

Reaction score
I own an Ibanez RGA121 and an RG7621, but I still kind of like the neck of my $150 Aria MAC-50 better than either of those. However, I guess those Ibanez guitars aren't really expensive.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
My 7321 feels as good as guitars I've played that cost many times more, and it sounds as good now with a Bareknuckle. That said, I've tried some high-end guitars (Vik, PRS, Blackmachine) that are obviously waaaaaaay higher quality and it shows.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
OP, you'd probably prefer the genuine article in much the same way. It's a coincidence that your guitar is less expensive. This isn't remarkable, but it would be if you owned an identical guitar to those you were trying out - whilst also taking in to consideration the horrible set-ups shop/wall guitars usually have.

My Jackson performer PS-3 plays numerous folds better than my B.C. Rich Stealth 7 but does not sound better. What does that tell me? A USA or revered Japanese Jackson is going to be my ideal guitar.

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
John Petrucci is a great player, and his guitars were made to his specifications according to his preferences. So its not hard to imagine you not liking them very much. Play what you like whether its cheap or expensive. As far as ibanez, I suggest you try them.

You know what? Just figure out what you are interested in. A) A good guitar that suits your playing style and your preferences, OR B) Acceptance of others who have probably taken the time to form their own opinions (Either that or they follow trends like JPs). Dont state your opinion and ask people to proof read it...

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
My most expensive guitar is the best I own. My second best preferred guitar is the second most expensive.

From experience, a cheap guitar can be good, but won't stay good for 10 years.Frets will be worn faster, wood will move more, you'll have to set it up more frquentaly etc.

A top quality guitar in europe is 2500€. Over that you pay for hype or specific requests (in my case, guitar paint art, can also be special materials and so on).

ALL the guitars I've kept for 10+ years and STILL are top notch have been expensive. My main guitar for years was a japanese strat, it's gone now, from old age.

Whitestrat

Reaction score
I own a Sterling Silo 20 as my main 6 and when I went to guitar center to play both Vai and Petrucci's signature guitars, I would not take either of them over my guitar FEEL wise. Although they sounded better and were made better, if you were to blind fold me, I would say that my guitar feels the best. There is always a chance that it was just a matter of adjusting, but at least now i feel more comfortable in buying a normal ibanez 7 and putting aftermaths in it as opposed to buying a prestige 7 for twice the price. I guess the point of this thread was to ask "should i buy a normal 7 for cheap and mod it or should i buy a prestige ibanez 7?"

Wrong comparison. You should compare the Silo20 with a Silhouette or Silhouette Special, and you'll find the general idea. Those guitars you mentioned are worlds apart from a Silhouette.

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
its not shocking. My favorite guitars to play right now are my Burns Barracuda that ive modded to hell, and my Eastwood Sidejack Baritone and Bigsby. Combined those three guitars cost under a grand, but they suite me and my tastes. Not everyone needs a Mayones or a Vik or, dare i say, a Blackmachine.

I have my high end brand stuff too, but I just go with what sounds best, regardless of cost. Sometimes its an American Strat, sometimes its a Burns Barracuda

Vheissu

Reaction score
A great guitar sound is one part great guitar/strings/pickups/amp and the other is one part good technique. I've got a few guitarist friends who like to stick to simple metalcore type sounds and they're always complaining their setups sound like crap compared to mine, yet when I have a go of one of their guitars they ask how I get it to sound so good.

So expensive might not mean better in one way, but a more expensive guitar has had less hands touch it most likely built by a proper luthier (hand made all the way) than a less expensive guitar.

Latest posts

')