Experience Custom 7 Build Thread

• Thread starter johnpyeatt13
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fenji

Reaction score
edit: just checked out Steven Hart guitars: WTF is going on with his pickup routes?

i had to stop looking at them after the first few i checked out. the angles those pickups were on just bothered the .... out of me. i can't fathom it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
Okay so it looks like another person headed for heartbreak due to 'custom on a budget' syndrome. Here is some advice I've picked up from having a custom built myself and watching and learning from this forums many scandals.

If you have a limited budget, go find an off the shelf model that matches those specs or as close as you can get. 27" are not hard to find now days, neither is ebony FB's (okay its not pale moon, but you're on a budget and beggars can't be choosers) or a nice maple top.

You may not get everything your heart desires, but what you will get is a guitar that has been QC'd and in 100% playable condition (not inc the usual tweaks WE ALL have to do when we get a new guitar) with a warranty if its new and or a chance to play it and bond.

You will save yourself a lot of tears, wasted money and heartbreak. Not everyone needs a custom, its totally cool to have an off the shelf model and rock that shiz like it was your own custom. And then when you bag the cash in 10 or so years time to drop 3.5-4K (or the futures equivalent) on a custom (and have had the time to figure out what you NEED in a custom) you can do so, and be that generations equivalent of a blues dad who can afford your generations equivalent of R9 Gibsons. I know you want it now, but patience man it really is worth your while.

Fluff/Ryan Bruce did a great video on the topic that I saw at the right time, because I also got caught up in the custom hype:

johnpyeatt13

Reaction score
Okay so it looks like another person headed for heartbreak due to 'custom on a budget' syndrome. Here is some advice I've picked up from having a custom built myself and watching and learning from this forums many scandals.

If you have a limited budget, go find an off the shelf model that matches those specs or as close as you can get. 27" are not hard to find now days, neither is ebony FB's (okay its not pale moon, but you're on a budget and beggars can't be choosers) or a nice maple top.

You may not get everything your heart desires, but what you will get is a guitar that has been QC'd and in 100% playable condition (not inc the usual tweaks WE ALL have to do when we get a new guitar) with a warranty if its new and or a chance to play it and bond.

You will save yourself a lot of tears, wasted money and heartbreak. Not everyone needs a custom, its totally cool to have an off the shelf model and rock that shiz like it was your own custom. And then when you bag the cash in 10 or so years time to drop 3.5-4K (or the futures equivalent) on a custom (and have had the time to figure out what you NEED in a custom) you can do so, and be that generations equivalent of a blues dad who can afford your generations equivalent of R9 Gibsons. I know you want it now, but patience man it really is worth your while.

Fluff/Ryan Bruce did a great video on the topic that I saw at the right time, because I also got caught up in the custom hype:

Yea I definitely rushed into it. Should've probably grabbed an in stock Carvin.

johnpyeatt13

Reaction score
But at the end of the day, I'm going to play both, and I'll be the judge of my guitars. I'll post links to the reviews when I get them

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
Idk do you build guitars? Honestly I already paid for it. I'm gonna see if it's nice or not

I know my pickup routes are normal lol

Dude you don't need to be a luthier to tell that there are things wrong with his guitars just look at this build:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156576731965582&set=pcb.10156576732500582&type=3&theater

The pickup routs are crooked. Clearly crooked.

In the words of Winger it looks like we're:

ikarus

Reaction score

:ugh:

You can clearly see in the pics that OP postetd, that the pickup routes are crooked. I thought it is ff at first sight...

So let me sum this up: You payed a luthier for a custom build and it turns out that there are several things wrong with the build and you don't get your money back. You don't care and move on to another builder, where you can clearly see from his build pics, that you will get a similar experience? :scratch:

I assume that you are a fan of Dylans guitars (avatar, shape of the first build, colour schema of this build). Now ask yourself why one of Dylans guitars cost probably more than both of your builds together. You get what you pay for. IMHO you should have saved up for a custom from a reputable builder. Chances are high that you end up with two lemons....

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
You don't care and move on to another builder, where you can clearly see from his build pics, that you will get a similar experience? :scratch:

Pretty much that^^

Judging by the recent photo the pickup routs look off centre so you will get it with this guitar.

Seriously you should have grabbed a little over a grand and banked on a Carvin. If its not Opt.50 you can return and even though they have alienated this forum (which I don't approve of) they do deliver on their guitars.

But you seem absolutely set, I really just hope us stealing your thunder a bit will soften the blow man because its not looking promising. Sorry :shrug:

[Edit]

Ikarus i totally didnt see you already pointed that out about the routs :lol:

johnpyeatt13

Reaction score
Pretty much that^^

Judging by the recent photo the pickup routs look off centre so you will get it with this guitar.

Seriously you should have grabbed a little over a grand and banked on a Carvin. If its not Opt.50 you can return and even though they have alienated this forum (which I don't approve of) they do deliver on their guitars.

But you seem absolutely set, I really just hope us stealing your thunder a bit will soften the blow man because its not looking promising. Sorry :shrug:

[Edit]

Ikarus i totally didnt see you already pointed that out about the routs :lol:
Honestly I probably should've saved up a bit more and bought a really nice custom like a Ran or something like that, but we'll see with my other guitars. I already paid them off so we'll see what happens. If they are awesome, then I'll recommend them to people, if not I'll move on.

johnpyeatt13

Reaction score
:ugh:

You can clearly see in the pics that OP postetd, that the pickup routes are crooked. I thought it is ff at first sight...

So let me sum this up: You payed a luthier for a custom build and it turns out that there are several things wrong with the build and you don't get your money back. You don't care and move on to another builder, where you can clearly see from his build pics, that you will get a similar experience? :scratch:

I assume that you are a fan of Dylans guitars (avatar, shape of the first build, colour schema of this build). Now ask yourself why one of Dylans guitars cost probably more than both of your builds together. You get what you pay for. IMHO you should have saved up for a custom from a reputable builder. Chances are high that you end up with two lemons....
Yeah I honestly really really really wanted a Daemoness and it's my bad I didn't save up for one. His guitars are so beautiful.

johnpyeatt13

Reaction score
Honestly this thread has really put into light my gullibility. I really really really want something like a Daemoness or a Ran, but I don't wanna pay for it. Then I got mad because my other guitar is late, so I bought another ok looking guitar instead of saving up for something I actually want. It reminds me of when I first started buying tube amps. I kept buying really crappy Crate and other tube amps trying to get the perfect Petrucci tone when all I needed was a nice Mesa Mark. I spent enough money on those amps to buy a Mesa Boogie Mark V. Luckily now I have a Mesa Boogie Mark V 25 that I absolutely love. Now I just need to stop being so stupid and buy a Daemoness.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
You are one confusing cat man. You've agreed with all out concerns, you claim you know it yourself yet you go out repeat what you did when buying amps. If you want a Daemoness you know what it costs and you know the wait time is 2+ years.

But I think your issue is that you're fixated on custom guitars man, there are plenty of off the shelf guitars or semi customs like Carvin now that will do you right and keep you happy while you wait till you know what you want, have the cash and the time to wait for it to be built.

In the words of Axl Rose: 'Said, woman, take it slow, It'll work itself out fine All we need is just a little patience.'

johnpyeatt13

Reaction score
So yea a couple of months later, and now he has to build me an entirely new guitar because of all the problems of this guitar. Wish he would just give me my money back.

johnpyeatt13

Reaction score
I have to say - it seems like your opinions on this guy and the guitar are all over the place.

After having this guitar for a while, my opinions on both this guitar and the builder are perfectly clear. This guy has absolutely no business building guitars. I really wish I would've listened to everyone on here and stopped paying him to build this piece of firewood.