Experience PRS - Dweezil Zappa Interview: Making a Custom PRS

• Thread starter Xiphos68
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Is that agile hawker not that great? Cause I was thinking about getting one?

I don't mind it but I don't like the cut where the strap goes. I'm still thinking about getting a custom done anyway.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
I don't mind it but I don't like the cut where the strap goes. I'm still thinking about getting a custom done anyway.
Oh ok. You know I though about getting one myself. A 7 string version with a 26in scale and 27 or 28 frets vintage tremolo.

Korngod

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
Contributor
Reaction score
i dunno if i would switch to PRS over Ibanez if they did try to overtake them. i loved the RG superstrat shape so I bought into it, it had nothing to do with Ibanez, but then the thin necks were just a bonus to me. I really fail to see why they are supposedly trying to take them down, why not take a stab at their real competitors Gibson or Fender?

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dunno if i would switch to PRS over Ibanez if they did try to overtake them. i loved the RG superstrat shape so I bought into it, it had nothing to do with Ibanez, but then the thin necks were just a bonus to me. I really fail to see why they are supposedly trying to take them down, why not take a stab at their real competitors Gibson or Fender?

Well, basically the reason why people buy a PRS is because it's the "perfect balance" between a Gibson and a Fender. Like a Les Paul tone and construction with Fender playability and lighter weight, along with a trem. Not to mention very usable split-tones (as a die-hard singlecoil fan you'd never hear me calling a split/tapped whatever pickup 'singlecoil' but PRS split pickups are surprisingly usable). Not to mention the scale length falling right between the two, a good blend of twang and howl, so to speak. So I think they pretty much have those grounds covered, those who want a strat or tele will get a fender, those who want an LP will get a Gibson, and those in between tend to dig PRS.

However, they haven't really launched themselves in the shred/metal market yet. I've used a Custom 22 for progressive metal for years, so I know these guitars are the shiznit for anything that's difficult and heavy. But they haven't really marketed themselves to those kinds of players, but it seems like they are now. I imagine it's a great business move.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Is there a new one supposedly in the works? I hadn't heard anything but I haven't really checked up on it either. I have the one that's currently out and it's an experience and a half.

If you want some original Frank stuff, I'd say start with Joe's Garage since it's probably his biggest/most known despite coming ...13(?) or so years into his career

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Is there a new one supposedly in the works? I hadn't heard anything but I haven't really checked up on it either. I have the one that's currently out and it's an experience and a half.

If you want some original Frank stuff, I'd say start with Joe's Garage since it's probably his biggest/most known despite coming ...13(?) or so years into his career
Alright thanks. Actually maybe it's just Dweezil I'm not sure. Something is being released?

')