Experience with Fryette FB2x12? P50E's

KVLTO

_____
Reaction score
Howdy,

I've been offered a Fryette FB2x12... pretty good deal too. Pretty sick of lugging my ridonk Zilla OS 4x12 around (although I love it so).

I'd be lying if I didn't say I'd always wanted one of these mothers. BUT... those P50s seem to get as much hate as they do love.

I'm running an Hughes & Kettner Duotone... quite a bright amp (big in the mids), love it to bits.

I know it's subjective (punchy to one man is searing to another) but anyone run a similar hot rodded Marshall/Bright amp with the FB2x12? I'm playing extreme/death metal.

Am I going to have a bad time?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
those P50s seem to get as much hate as they do love.

Seems like its either the one or the other..

I don't have experience with this cab but 2 friends of mine has.The first absolutely loved it,says its the best 2x12 out there (and he has tried a lot of cabs).

The other guy absolutely hated it.No complains about the build quality but said the sound sucked.

I believe those speakers are voiced for Fryette amps and are not as "universal" as lets say the V30. So depending on your amp they either sound good or terrible.

I wouldn't buy without trying cause they are not cheap either.

geekusa

Reaction score
I recently switched to a FatBottom 412 from a Vader. Granted I'm using a Fryette Hundred/CL (which is not necessarily bright, but has a TON of mids), but I've had a few months to get to know the cab. I'm not an expert when it comes to speakers or cabs, so take it for what its worth.
Definitely a darker sounding cab than the Vader or the Mesa Recto Cab with V30s that I previously owned. At the same time there is quite a bit of high end definition. It shoots like a beam, so as you walk around the room the sound of the cab changes even more drastically than it normally would on other cabinets that I have owned. I could see it being described as harsh when you are directly in front of it and about 10-15 feet away. It is ULTRA tight. It really likes bass. Like a lot. Ground shaking palm mutes. Seriously. Your balls will tremble even with the 212 I imagine.
Really play it if you can to see if it's right for you. If you can't it may be worth trying, because from what I've seen online you can flip a FB 212 pretty easy if you don't like it.

edit: also there is a YouTube comparison between the V30 and P50e. I can't post it cause I'm at work, but that may be worth listening to if you haven't already.

Captastic

Reaction score
P50E are very present...very forward sounding, if that makes sense. I have a FB 4x12, and it is laser beamy...more so that the Mesa V30 OS cab I also had...and sold. Walk off axis, and the sound diminishes quite a bit. Walk back in front...like Cyclops hit you with his laser sight...

I know I referenced 4x12s....but I've heard the 2x12 FB cab has the same tendencies...

KVLTO

_____
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I actually preferred the P50E tone in that vid, so I think I'm going to give it a go.

My current 4x12 is dark sounding and it really rounds out the Duotone.

FYI the one I've been offered is pretty cheap, so I reckon it's a good option. My other alternative is to swap out my 4x12 for a new Zilla... so many bloody options. Stupid really.

YEAAAAH.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
Report back and let us know what you think after you get the P50E.

I've always wanted to hear what my H&K sounds like through a FB2x12, but haven't had the chance.

Nice to see another H&K owner. Not many of us around here.