Experience with import fees to the US

• Thread starter TheDepthsWillRise
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
I've never purchased anything new or used, internationally. What kind of experience has everyone had with customs? Are the costs prohibitively expensive or is it closer to a sales tax?

There are some incredible builders in EU, but I hate the idea of basically spending, on fees + shipping, what could purchase a nice second hand amp of effects unit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
I've ordered a lot of stuff from Japan and never been hit with customs fees. It's really just luck of the draw.

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
Right on, thanks for the response. That really puts a few of the EU builders in a new light. Or maybe an Ibby J custom haha.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
A well packed and insured transatlantic guitar shipping from europe will cost you around 60-100€ depending on sender location and size/weight of the guitar and case.
No clue about how taxes are handled on the US side.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I am not in the U.S..but I wish customs/duty/vat fees were more predictable. I never know wtf to expect even though I know the apparent %'s and thresholds. Sometimes I pay nothing when I should have, sometimes I pay something when I shouldn't, sometimes I pay a lot more than what I was expecting..

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
Have your experiences typically been different between individuals and companies? Like, do you usually pay less in fees if you buy it from someone on here rather than the builder directly? Or is it still fairly unpredictable?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I've never bought anything vastly expensive from the US, but often over $100 in strings from Circle K. In some cases I didn't get taxed on that, and then suddenly I'll have to pay $20 on $20 of strings. Very strange. I don't really recall anything from other companies but I've had probably 10 deliveries from Circle K and they are very inconsistent despite always having price marked packaging.

')