Experiences with the Ibanez RG7321?

• Thread starter AWAX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AWAX

Reaction score
This got locked in the sevenstring forum so I'll try again...

Just wondering what the good, bad and ugly is with the RG7321, and more specifically ones with CL/LF pickups? I'm trying to decide whether to get that setup or aim for an RGA7 with Blackouts, which I'm sure would be a pain in the ass to mod.

And is the mid switch on the RGA7 even useful at all?

Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
7321 aren't bad introductory 7 string guitars, never had one with the CL&LF combo in it. I did have one I'd put Blackouts in and it was killer sounding. Zero routing needed for the depth either unlike the 7621 I put blackouts in.
I had a RGA7 that I'd also installed blackouts in which still didn't help the guitar, the RGA & I just didn't jive.
As for the CL&LF combo they are great in a Mahogany bodied guitar, I have them in my 7620 custom Elysian mahogany body, and both my MIJ S7420BPs. Love them, great crunch and tight tone from the CL & & sweet super creamy mellow tone from the LF. Love that combo so much that's what I'm getting in my BRJ Jekyll 7.
Conclusion, i'd save the money & buy the 7321 and go with the CL&LF combo. Or look around for a MIJ 7421/7621 used. The MIJ ibbys feel better IMO, & are constructed better.

AWAX

Reaction score
I would buy an RG7(6/4)21 but it seems that everyone whose selling them are in the States, and do not want to ship them to Canada. Most of the ones on here are the trem versions too which I don't really enjoy.

The 7321 is also basswood, at least the new ones are, not mahognay :p I think I'm going to grab that one and then it will be my "modding whore".

How is the hardware on the 7321?

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
I would buy an RG7(6/4)21 but it seems that everyone whose selling them are in the States, and do not want to ship them to Canada. Most of the ones on here are the trem versions too which I don't really enjoy.

The 7321 is also basswood, at least the new ones are, not mahognay :p I think I'm going to grab that one and then it will be my "modding whore".

How is the hardware on the 7321?

he was saying your pup choice sounds great in a mohag. guitar ;) not that the 7321 is made from mohag.

the hardware is good. i suggest a new nut. if you get the older with the ibanez bridge i suggest shoerter saddle height adjustment screws. if you get the newer with the gibralter bridge, just the nut should be good. i personally like dimarzio blaze customs in my basswood iby 7s :shred:

Wyldefan916

Reaction score
I have one here, and I like it a lot. I got it used with EMG 81-7 & 60-7 pups. I also did the 18v mod with them, and it sounds even better. I'm still contemplating whether or not to get either dual 707's or go back to passives and do Dimarzio D'Activators in it. Either way though, it is a good beginner 7.

Where do you guys get the upgraded nut at?

Reaction score
I got one about maybe 2 years ago used, a 2005 model, my first 7. They are great for your first 7-string. The only complaint I have is the neck, which is really flat and has these rounder 'shoulders' on the sides, which can be uncomfortable at times for me, since I like rounder necks. Other than that, a really solid player. Mine has developed a hideous fret buzz though, which has kept me from playing it for a while. Hopefully I can get that sorted out soon though.

AWAX

Reaction score
Yeah, I've found a bunch of 7621's and 7421's. But no one wants to ship to Canada.

Could someone explain the differences between the CL/LF set and the Blaze Custom set? Just like if they're brighter, etc.

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
Ask Jym (Jymellis) about the Blazes. I do believe they're his favorite pups.
As for the CL&LF combo I've had no experience with them in a basswood body , but I know in a Mahogany they are badass, just my opinion. I would assume in a basswood body they may be a tad bit brighter which isn't a bad thing.
Just play around with different pup combos till you find what YOU like. Everybody has that "sound" they want and what works for one person/guitar may be different for you/your guitar.
Like I mentioned, I've got the CL&LF combo in both my S7420BP s and they both sound different, don't know why but they just do. Every guitar reacts different there is no set standard " these pups will make your guitar sound like this"
Just experiment and see what suits you the best.
It's a great adventure, have fun & good luck

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
I have one. Not a bad introductory 7. I haven't changed anything on mine, but I am seeing around here that with a few mods, they sound pretty nice. I like the bridge on mine. But could use a new nut, tuners and pups.

AWAX

Reaction score
Well nuts and tuners aren't a big deal to change (hopefully), and pups shouldnt be a big deal either.

AWAX

Reaction score
I dunno, haven't been able to play one. Don't really like the body shape either. I'm just being ignorant.

And I want a fixed bridge.

AWAX

Reaction score
How so Stealth?

And to everyone, is changing tunings with a blocked trem that much different from a TOM or hard tail bridge?

themightyjaymoe

Zombie Autopilot
Reaction score
Just picked a 7321 a few days ago. Solidly built, solid tuners/bridge. Fret work great. Only complaint are pickups, they are going to be replaced with blackouts. After that should be a beast.

Dimensionator

I Am Error
Reaction score
I got mine a few months ago as my first 7, awesome guitar. The bridge and tuners hold up well, the neck is nice and fast and the fretwork is solid. Agreed with themightyjaymoe, the stock pups were pretty bad IMO. I replaced them with DiMarzio D-Activators and now it kills.
I did a tone test the other day on the bridge pup, if you'd like to hear.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15909493/whitechapel devolver drop Bb.mp3

Fktpguitfiddle

Reaction score
i got my 7321 for about 60 bucks and after owning it (as my first 7) i would recomend it to anyone, just throw some new pick ups and a new nut. i like the tone zone 7 but thats whats in all my guitars!

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
ive got one of the older 7321s and i love it. its not the greatest 7 string out there, but it was totally good enough to make me give up altogether on 6 strings.... i would still recommend a 7421 or a 7621 due to the higher quality and the same relative price, but you still cant really go wrong w/the 7321; its a very good guitar for the price...

as for pickups, i really recommend the D-Activator 7 set, they were the pickups that got me out of EMG's ( and i havent used EMGs in over 3 years now)..

so basically, RG7621/RG7421 would be a little bit of a better choice, but the RG7321 will certainly make you happy, especially w/a D-activator 7 set (which are pretty damn affordable too)

')