Explorer fans...Gibson may be granting your wish.

• Thread starter STRHelvete
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

uni777

Reaction score
And the Epiphone uses the ESP-type control layout?
Yes, IMO the whole naming was wrong considering the specs. I always suspected they wanted to react to the Edwards explorers which were well made and not that expensive at first.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
The Epiphone 84 is probably just putting a Gibson style headstock on the Chinese mx220 knockoffs.

waffles

Reaction score
Hmm...I don't know. Do people really want Hetfield to be a Gibson endorsee these days? Maybe in the 80s, but now, Hetfield is pretty much etched in stone as an ESP player through and through and it's quite difficult to see him using other brands. Same with Hammett, I don't think people have 'fully accepted' that he's a Gibson endorsee nowadays as well.

Besides, Hetfield already owns enough Les Pauls, Flying Vs and Explorers in his personal collection and people know this so will making him a Gibson endorsee actually have any effect? Though, Hetfield is still a Mesa Boogie endorsee and Mesa is now owned by Gibson so who knows.

Voodoo Marshall

Reaction score
The original '58 - '63 run were Korina. The '76 return (including the "limited edition" '58 reissue) were mahogany. I know Gibson did a reissue of those '76 Limited Edition '58 Reissues (holy shit :lol: ) and they were also mahogany.
Thanks for clarifying. I thought my 70s "reissue" would have to be Korina seeing it's a "reissue!!!"

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying. I thought my 70s "reissue" would have to be Korina seeing it's a "reissue!!!"
Given it's Norlin, they probably just used whatever they had lying around. :lol: I love Norlin-era Gibsons for the crazy specs and shit, but they definitely weren't going for period-correct at all.

Flick

Reaction score
Since we finally got an 80s explorer, I wonder when an Alpine White Explorer will be available?

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I just want a normal ass Korina Explorer like this
Allen-Collins.jpg

Just with the 84 control layout.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Since we finally got an 80s explorer, I wonder when an Alpine White Explorer will be available?
I heard a rumor they've started production but want to wait until they have plenty of stock. Seems like they anticipate this being a big seller if true.

gnoll

Reaction score
I heard a rumor they've started production but want to wait until they have plenty of stock. Seems like they anticipate this being a big seller if true.

It seems reasonable to assume they will sell. It's gonna be basically the first possibility of getting a "real" Hetfield Explorer. Because what else is there? Epiphones have the wrong name on the headstock, ESPs are unavailable/prohibitively expensive, Snakebytes are not the same thing. The white Gibson is the real deal 80s Hetfield guitar. It just is.

That said, even though I'd want one, I just couldn't justify it. For like 1/5th of the price of one of these I could easily buy a used guitar that's just as good, maybe better.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It seems reasonable to assume they will sell. It's gonna be basically the first possibility of getting a "real" Hetfield Explorer. Because what else is there? Epiphones have the wrong name on the headstock, ESPs are unavailable/prohibitively expensive, Snakebytes are not the same thing. The white Gibson is the real deal 80s Hetfield guitar. It just is.

That said, even though I'd want one, I just couldn't justify it. For like 1/5th of the price of one of these I could easily buy a used guitar that's just as good, maybe better.
By the soudns of it, even this guitar won't be the "true" Hetfield guitar either because it's too pointy lol. A true '84 Explorer is apparently based off the rounder 1958 shape while the new '80s Explorers are based on the '76 reissue shape. Honestly I don't give a fuck because I think the sharper body looks cooler.

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is good news as I’m on a waitlist for one of these. Last I’d heard, they WEREN’T going to do white just yet…

zappatton2

Reaction score
I used to have a Gothic Explorer that balanced perfectly. Maybe luck of the draw?

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Strap pin location matters. I have an Epiphone 58 Explorer that used to dive with the stock pin but was remedied by moving the pin location to behind the neck joint. My ash Explorer 7 and Jackson Kelly both had the straplock in that location to begin with and neither one dives.

owlexifry

Reaction score
Strap pin location matters. I have an Epiphone 58 Explorer that used to dive with the stock pin but was remedied by moving the pin location to behind the neck joint. My ash Explorer 7 and Jackson Kelly both had the straplock in that location to begin with and neither one dives.
exactly what i did and this fixes the issue.

gnoll

Reaction score
By the soudns of it, even this guitar won't be the "true" Hetfield guitar either because it's too pointy lol. A true '84 Explorer is apparently based off the rounder 1958 shape while the new '80s Explorers are based on the '76 reissue shape. Honestly I don't give a fuck because I think the sharper body looks cooler.

Yeah true. I think I agree it looks cooler. Maybe I'd rather it was bang on just for authenticity's sake but aaahh, it's pretty subtle... Like I'm a stickler for details but even then I feel like ehh whatever, close enough lol.

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anybody got an idea when this mythical white whale is supposed to be released?

Latest posts

')