Explorer fans...Gibson may be granting your wish.

• Thread starter STRHelvete
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Wait...so I watched the first video, but not sure I understand what part of the video is meant to make Explorer fans salivate. I'm not super familiar with Explorers, so I feel like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle.

tedtan

Reaction score
Wait...so I watched the first video, but not sure I understand what part of the video is meant to make Explorer fans salivate. I'm not super familiar with Explorers, so I feel like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle.
1984 style explorers: no pickguard, 3 knobs in the “V” configuration.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
What everyone above said.

Also was the Explorer James Hetfield used between 1984 - 1987. I know a lot of people were hoping Het would join Gibson alongside Kirk just so they can do an '84 reissue... looks like they're doing it anyway.

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
People have a weird perception of them. Contrary to expectations they were alder bodied with maple necks. There were some with kahlers as well. Even the first set of reissues we're mahogany as that's what people expected. Honestly I've just been looking for an explorer with a kahler or top mount Floyd with a ebony or richlite board in only the most obnoxious finishes.

Flick

Reaction score
I’ve been waiting for this guitar to be reissued forever. I’ll def be getting one. I do see them pop up used for prices that a new reissue would cost.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Probably good news for us that it's not an official Hetfield signature to keep the price at sane levels.

Hopefully will be a typical Gibson USA Explorer (mahogany construction) and not a custom shop or actual '80s reissue with an alder body.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Hopefully they go with the actual specs this time instead of the typical rosewood on all mahogany, it's supposed to be an alder body with maple neck and sometimes ebony fretboard. Otherwise why bother?

')