Explorin' mah 7-string options...

• Thread starter Nik
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
...Alright, so I'm thinkin of getting an accoustic 7-string in the near future because those clean tones coming from my electric, although nice, just aren't cutting it.

Anyway, here's the catch: I'm on a $700-ish budget, so I know that my options are a bit limited.

I already know about the Ibanez AJ307, and while a bit on the expensive side, it does seem nice, though I have a couple of concerns. I'm hoping that some guys that own one here on the forums can help me out. Here's both likes and concerns:

-Cutaway (I need to be able to access higher notes-I'm gonna be doing Al DiMeola-style jazz-fushion shredding on it)
-Pre-amp (so I can direct record it)

CONCERNS:
-I've heard that this thing has an effing HUGE body, and that's how it looks in the pics. Now, I've tried loads of accoustics, and I've never had any problem with stuff like body size but I can't help but feel a little weary since if I buy one, I won't know how it plays until it arrives at my door and I've already paid for it. As I said, I still need to feel comfortable for tighter, faster, more difficult-to-play stuff.
-I read on the internet that the piezo sounds like absolute crap and needs to be changed, which would mean an extra $100 on top of the current price.
-It looks pretty damn ugly

OK. So I was browsing the internet and I found this:

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2000/Performer-SE-7.html

I like this considerably better than the Ibanez, and there's a possibility it might be a bit cheaper (and have better piezo), but I can't find it being sold on the internet. Is it discontinued? There's no info on the Dean site, either?

And one last question: Are there any other options when it comes to accoustic 7s in my price range?

Thanks for all your help (as usual),

--Nik

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
How important is a quality piezo to you?

To put it in perspective, the Fishman Prefix in my Martin MC16-GTE slays everything I've compared it to, but it's still no match for the tone when the guitar's properly mic'd up. For playing live, a piezo's the way to go, but if you're worried about recording it, I'd just mic it and not worry about the piezo.

Also, what's your current electric? While this will in no way give you an "acoustic-like" tone, if the tone you're looking for suggests that an acoustic is the way to go, maybe having a coil-tap added to your existing guitar would get you closer...?

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The "J" in the AJ-307's model name is definitely for "Jumbo". It's big. But for all its size, it doesn't sound all that huge. It's got a decent tone, but for some reason, it doesn't project very well. At least mine doesn't.

It's a nice guitar. I don't think i'll be parting with mine any time soon. I just like having an acoustic, especially an acoustic 7.

From what i've heard, the Dean Performer 7 was vastly inferior to the AJ-307.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Drew -

I'm a direct-recording-o-holic. I love direct-recording, so a decent piezo IS important to me. I realise that the piezo is nothing compared to micing it, but piezos will have to do for a while. Are there any mics that can do high-quality recording in my room without skinning me alive in terms of price?

And I like my electric clean tone, but again, it's no substitute for an accoustic ;)

darren -

Do you remember how the Dean is inferior? Also, is it not sold anymore? I can't seem to find it anywhere except on british guitar sites...

Thanks

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I like direct recording, too. That's part of the reason why i bought a Yamaha AG-Stomp.

I don't remember who it was that said they had tried both the Dean Performer 7 and the AJ-307, but it was just a general comment that the Dean didn't play well and/or didn't sound good. I think it was only made for a year or two at the height of the first 7-string craze.

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
Dude, I had the AJ-307 too for a while. Mine did not project at all either. I now play a 6-string Wechter from musiciansfriend.com when I want to go acoustic. I highly recommend it for electric players. It has 22 frets and a double cutaway design that lets you play all the way up the neck. I love it.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've always wanted to get a Fender stratacoustic but a 7-string version. That would be cool.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
So, since the Dean isn't made anymore, I have absolutely NO other options other than the Ibanez?

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
Either that or buy a 12 string, redo the nut for 7 strings, and, if you're really a glutton for punishment, trim down the headstock so it looks like it was meant to be that way. I have seen it done... and have cringed at the thought of it.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Well, it's looking like the Ibanez. How thick is it? How comfortable to play is it? Is the neck thin like my electric 7?

And there are ABSOLUTELY no other guitar makers that make affordable accoustic 7s?

And I've personally always hated those Strataccousitcs :nuts: I mean some accoustic-electrics out there are the best of both worlds, but the Stratoccoustic is like the worst of both worlds - ugly shape, not quite as resonant as full accoustic, without the punch of an electric...

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Man, when I was in Russia, every guitar shop had a seven string acoustic. None of them were great. I have an AJ307CE. It is a cutaway jumbo, and makes the sound a cutaway jumbo makes. Jumbo guitars are bassy and not known for their mix-cutting abilities. The piezo is a piezo and thus it cuts better but it makes a brittle piezo sound. So what? Well, I always recorded mine mic'd and direct, then mix the two signals. Nifty, huh? :lol:

Anyway for overall features, AJ307CE is the best at the price you mentioned. Good luck finding one, though. If the quality is not good enough for you, you might as well save up for an Emerald or something. No one will sell you a mind-blowingly awesome acoustic guitar cheap, sorry.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
bostjan said:
Man, when I was in Russia, every guitar shop had a seven string acoustic.

I did a big essay on the history and development of guitars, its various forms and the different styles of music played on it.

If I remember correctly, the sevenstring classical and acoustic was developed in Russia.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
yup, developed in Russia, and I hear you could bye one for like $10 if you could go there 20 years ago, lol.

I need my cutaway for higher notes (plust I hate how classical guitars look...)

Anyway, why would I have trouble finding the Ibanez? They still make it... Maybe I should give Eric a call...

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Shawn said:
I've always wanted to get a Fender stratacoustic but a 7-string version. That would be cool.

:noway: I've played several. They play and sound like shit. Avoid.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nik said:
I'm a direct-recording-o-holic. I love direct-recording, so a decent piezo IS important to me. I realise that the piezo is nothing compared to micing it, but piezos will have to do for a while. Are there any mics that can do high-quality recording in my room without skinning me alive in terms of price?

Ok, if you're shooting for an acoustic sound in the first place, then I guess a coil tap won't cut it, eh? ;)

Hmm. Couple options here. If you're going direct anyway, maybe an acoustic simulator pedal is in your future. It won't fool anyone with it's organic, spacious, rich warm tone, but it should work nearly as well as a piezo pickup. There's two acoustic simulators in my J-Station, and while they're hardly brilliant, theyre at least passible. If I think of it, I'll record you a clip.

Aside from that... How one records an acoustic is a matter of huge debate. Really, even an SM-57 will work, and will sound more natural than a piezo, but ideally you want to go with a pair of small diaphram condensors, or a small mated with a large. In a pinch, a small or a large alone will work, and there's some pretty affordable options out there, especially from Behringer and Carvin. I doubt you'll find a mic or two for significantly less than the $100 you'd be budgeting for a new piezo, but if you're going to spend your money anywhere then I'd say this is probably the way to get more mileage from it.

Do you have any mics currently?

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Drew said:
Ok, if you're shooting for an acoustic sound in the first place, then I guess a coil tap won't cut it, eh? ;)

Hmm. Couple options here. If you're going direct anyway, maybe an acoustic simulator pedal is in your future. It won't fool anyone with it's organic, spacious, rich warm tone, but it should work nearly as well as a piezo pickup. There's two acoustic simulators in my J-Station, and while they're hardly brilliant, theyre at least passible. If I think of it, I'll record you a clip.

Aside from that... How one records an acoustic is a matter of huge debate. Really, even an SM-57 will work, and will sound more natural than a piezo, but ideally you want to go with a pair of small diaphram condensors, or a small mated with a large. In a pinch, a small or a large alone will work, and there's some pretty affordable options out there, especially from Behringer and Carvin. I doubt you'll find a mic or two for significantly less than the $100 you'd be budgeting for a new piezo, but if you're going to spend your money anywhere then I'd say this is probably the way to get more mileage from it.

Do you have any mics currently?

I have a total crap mic, so yeah, I guess better mics do lie in my future ;)

So what do big-game 7-string guitarists do when they want to go accoustic? Do they use simulators? Should I get a 6-string accoustic guitar and an accoustic simulator for my 7 instead? How much do these simulators cost? Does the PodXT live have an accoustic simulator, and if so, does it sound good?

garcia3441

Tone Whore
Contributor
Reaction score
Nik said:
I have a total crap mic, so yeah, I guess better mics do lie in my future ;)

So what do big-game 7-string guitarists do when they want to go accoustic? Do they use simulators? Should I get a 6-string accoustic guitar and an accoustic simulator for my 7 instead? How much do these simulators cost? Does the PodXT live have an accoustic simulator, and if so, does it sound good?

Matt Raines makes acoustic 7s (with cutaway), but they start at around $1400

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I know this may be blasphamy, but here goes...

Do you honestly NEED a seven string acoustic for recording, or will a down tuned six do? I recorded some stuff in B on my Martin D-28, and it sounded absolutely amazing. It should, since it is a $1800 guitar. If you need to do some stuff in B, and some in E (or G or whatever), then multitrack it. Live, it all gets played on the electric, anyway, so don't spend money on a fair 7-string acoustic, when you can record on a much better 6-string.

Latest posts

')