Explorin' mah 7-string options...

• Thread starter Nik
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
that's not even a seven string, bro. :nono:

i never said ovations suck, because they don't suck. i worked at a store that was an ovation dealer in the mid-nineties. we had three of them come back with the tops broken off in so many years. the plastic always felt very cheap and shoddy to me, but it sounds ok. i never 'got' the idea behind the v-necks, and find them highly uncomfortable. and still, they don't make a seven string guitar. any company that won't make a seven string is deemed false :flex: and cancelled!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
ibanez.shredder - I know about piezos, a) Piezo saddles so I can mod my RG1527 aren't being sold right now, I believe b) While nice, a piezo is still not a real substitute for an authentic accoustic guitar.

Bump on the question about how I'd go about finding me a AJ Ibanez 7, and the quality of this Ovation:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Acoustic?sku=513274

ibanez.shredder

Reaction score
Nik said:
ibanez.shredder - I know about piezos, a) Piezo saddles so I can mod my RG1527 aren't being sold right now, I believe b) While nice, a piezo is still not a real substitute for an authentic accoustic guitar.

Well you asked what 7-string acoustic JP used on Change of Seasons, so i answered your question, he didn't use an acoustic at all, he used his piezo-equipped Ibanez JPM (aka. Desert Storm). And considering you though that he was using an Acoustic, when has infact using his Desert Storm, the piezos obvioulsy are a resonable substitute ;)

Damn i wish thay made Piezos for EPs LPs and EDs avaliable to the public.....
Good luck on finding your seven-string acoustic

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
ibanez.shredder said:
Well you asked what 7-string acoustic JP used on Change of Seasons, so i answered your question, he didn't use an acoustic at all, he used his piezo-equipped Ibanez JPM (aka. Desert Storm). And considering you though that he was using an Acoustic, when has infact using his Desert Storm, the piezos obvioulsy are a resonable substitute ;)

Damn i wish thay made Piezos for EPs LPs and EDs avaliable to the public.....
Good luck on finding your seven-string acoustic

Really? It sounds like a piezo/mic mix, and I'm pretty sure it was accoustic... Do you have any proof of this or is it your thoery?

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Wail,Mah opinin is that yah should get that thar AJ307 'cause it's a mighty fine acoustic from what ah been hearin'. Shar, it's jumbo sized, if'n ya know what ah be sayin', but what's wrong with that thar, eh?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, dude, quit worrying and just buy the damn AJ307CE, it's a good guitar, and you won't find better for the money.

Ibanez shredder, "A Change of Seasons" is definately on a seven string guitar, so I don't know what you are talking about. I don't want to tell you that you're wrong, but you can't just make a claim like that without some info to back it up.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
bostjan said:
Yeah, dude, quit worrying and just buy the damn AJ307CE, it's a good guitar, and you won't find better for the money.

Ibanez shredder, "A Change of Seasons" is definately on a seven string guitar, so I don't know what you are talking about. I don't want to tell you that you're wrong, but you can't just make a claim like that without some info to back it up.

I think he means that it's an electric 7-string with piezos, but I still find that hard to believe...

ibanez.shredder

Reaction score
bostjan said:

Well if you actully bothered to look at my first post you would realiase i said ''AFAIK'' not somthing like ''you guys don't know anything about JP get lost'', so im hardly claiming anything am i?
Sorry guys i made a mistake, ''A Change of seasons'' was relased after he changed to ernie ball. So it would have been recorded with one his EBMM JPs, which have piezos in both his 6 and 7 string versions, so he could have used one of his many piezo-equipped 6 or 7-stringers. Just for entertainment i would like you to enlighten us why he couldn't have used a 6-string on ''a change of seasons'' bostjan? he has used 6-string on alot of his DT, solo and live work. He could've just used one of his baritone 6s, there are only 5 notes he wouldn't be able to obtain in the higher register anyway. This why i believe the intro was recorded with the piezos on his EBMM JPs

1. ''On the Live In New York'' CD he does ''A change of seasons'', the intro sounds exactly the same as the studio version (hes using the piezo), and then he goes on to the distortion part immdiatly with no gap at all (swtiches to the magnetics and changes to distortion channel), just like the studio version. This proves that he uses one of his EBMM JPs for at least the live version, no acoustics at all. And since the Piezo-sound on the lve version sounds so similar to the studio version i would deduct that he uses it on that as well.
2. IMO it doesn't sound like an acoustic at all, it doesn't sound transperant enough, and is too bright. Also it just sounds like an solid-body (don't know how to explain the sound)
3. I can't EVER remember JP EVER using an acoustic for anything
4. when he switched to Ernie Ball, he assured that his EBMM JPs had piezos, so that he wouldn't need acoustics, and could switch sounds mid-song.

So believe what you want, i have no quarell with you. But point 1) all but proves he dosn't use an acoustic for ''A Change of Seasons''.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Didn't he use Ibanez on Falling into Infinity, which came later?! I'm pretty sure he did, in fact, I saw them on that tour and he was using acoustic Ibanezes for slower songs.

I never saw them play A Change of Seasons live until after he did change to EBMM. I would assume he wouldn't be playing Ibanez after changing over. I've never seen an EBMM acoustic seven. Your subsequent post seemed to state the opinion "as-a-matter-of-factly" sorry i misread you, bro.

ibanez.shredder

Reaction score
bostjan said:
Didn't he use Ibanez on Falling into Infinity, which came later?! I'm pretty sure he did, in fact, I saw them on that tour and he was using acoustic Ibanezes for slower songs.

I never saw them play A Change of Seasons live until after he did change to EBMM. I would assume he wouldn't be playing Ibanez after changing over. I've never seen an EBMM acoustic seven. Your subsequent post seemed to state the opinion "as-a-matter-of-factly" sorry i misread you, bro.

Yeah sorry i bit your head off in the last post too man, the 2nd one was writen a bit matter-of factly sorry. You're right, ACOS came out in 1995. Okay heres how it might work out:

1995 A change of seasons (he uses ibanez acoustic)
2001 Live scenes from new york (He uses his EBMM JPs with piezos)

My main point is that there is less than a seconds gap between the acoustic-style intro to the High-gain chorus, so it is impossible for him to be using anything but his electric EBMM JP on the live version, he would use the piezos for the intro and the magnetics for the distortion. On the studio version it is *posible* he coloud be multi-tracking it, first recording with an acoustic, then laying a track down with his Ibanez JPMs. But i believe it to be highly unlikely because that makes live work impossible. And since the piezos on the live scenes from new york sounds SOOOO similar to the studios version, which dosn't sound acoustic in the first place, it is my deduction that he uses an piezo equipped Ibanez JPM or EBMM JP for the entire song of ''A change of seasons''

No hard feelings about my ealier posts guys

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I did some research online. JP never said what he used, but he didn't go to EBMM until about six or seven years after ACOS, the Desert Storm was only made by LACS in six string versions, and weren't planned until after FII, so the general consensus from what JP owned at the time is that he must have used the AJ307.

ibanez.shredder

Reaction score
bostjan said:
I did some research online. JP never said what he used, but he didn't go to EBMM until about six or seven years after ACOS, the Desert Storm was only made by LACS in six string versions, and weren't planned until after FII, so the general consensus from what JP owned at the time is that he must have used the AJ307.

Well that explains why he only played ACOS live after he joined Ernie Ball, because the piezos in the EBMM JPs are really amazing from what ive heard. Good research!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I just got the 2006 ibanez catalog. AJ307CE is still available! Gloss finish. $1128.55 list :scratch: Case for it lists at $179.99

There is a new Fishman Matrix Prefix Plus T preamp/tuner included with it also.

:) Buy one!

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
ibanez.shredder- no offense, but as soon as you said that DT released "Change of Seasons" after JP got is EBMMs, I knew that you had no clue what you're talking about ;)

JP has used Ibanez guitars on all the albums before and including Falling Into Infinity, except for When Dream and Day Unite, where he used B.C. Rich. He got his EBMMs in time to record Metropolis pt.2 and has been using them since.

And again, I listened to Change of Seasons again today and it sounds miced, so I'm pretty sure he used an accoustic, the AJ37 accoustic.

Also, you said that JP never plays accoustics, which is also false. He never plays accoustics live (or at least, not since he got his EBMMs with piezos), but accoustic parts to songs are ALWAYS recorded with a real accoustic in the studio. Often he does an accoustic/piezo mix.

Anyway, I tried the PODxt live at the store today, and the accoustic simulator sounded pretty cool. I might get one of those and a cheaper 6 string... Any suggestions for a $400 ish accoustic?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm good enough for the studio? :scratch:

Maybe Chris Quigley can pull some strings and get Ibanez to make a seven string dreadnaught. I bet a few people here would buy them. :)

7stringninja

Southpaw Bastard
Reaction score
Nik said:
ibanez.shredder- no offense, but as soon as you said that DT released "Change of Seasons" after JP got is EBMMs, I knew that you had no clue what you're talking about ;)

JP has used Ibanez guitars on all the albums before and including Falling Into Infinity, except for When Dream and Day Unite, where he used B.C. Rich. He got his EBMMs in time to record Metropolis pt.2 and has been using them since.

I'm not so sure about the Metrop Pt. 2 comment. I remember seeing some videos of them in the studio recording and he was playing an Ibanez. And from what I remember hearing, he got the EBMM prototypes and "tested" them out on a few spots on the album. I could be wrong though.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Home was done on the Desert Storm in the picture. At least half of Strange Deja Vu was on EBMM, from what I have heard. :)

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
bostjan said:
Hmm good enough for the studio? :scratch:

Maybe Chris Quigley can pull some strings and get Ibanez to make a seven string dreadnaught. I bet a few people here would buy them. :)

Sounded good enough to me - somewhat piezoish, but still good-the sound samples on the official line 6 site can give you a pretty good idea of how it sounds. Admittedly, the sound was pretty murky and muddy, but the guitar I used to test it was an RG7321 in crap condition with crappy stock pickups which were positioned waaay too far from the strings, with old strings and uber-high action, so I'm guessing I'd get better sound on my RG1527.

I haven't completely ruled out the Ibanez 7, I'm just juggling the two options and was curious about what 6 strings I have at my disposal if I decided to get the Podxt for accoustic 7 stuff...

And I wouldn't buy a 7 dreadnaught, I need my cutaway for teh solos. :shred:

ibanez.shredder

Reaction score
Nik said:

And again, I listened to Change of Seasons again today and it sounds miced, so I'm pretty sure he used an accoustic, the AJ37 accoustic.

Also, you said that JP never plays accoustics, which is also false. He never plays accoustics live (or at least, not since he got his EBMMs with piezos), but accoustic parts to songs are ALWAYS recorded with a real accoustic in the studio. Often he does an accoustic/piezo mix.

Anyway, I tried the PODxt live at the store today, and the accoustic simulator sounded pretty cool. I might get one of those and a cheaper 6 string... Any suggestions for a $400 ish accoustic?

Dude, i do actully know what im talking about when it comes to Dream Theater. First off, i said as far as i know he never uses acoustics. Then when i was looking for the live version, the live version was done in 2001, so it seemed crazy that he hadn't done ''a change of seasons'' live for 6 years. So i didn't bother to look on dreamtheater.net for the exact date. But when bostjan corrected me, i looked up the exact date it was released, and revised my theory. Also to say ALL Dream Theater acoustic parts are done on acoustic is bullshit. Both his Desert Storm and EBMM JPs have been used for SOME of their acoustic style parts.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Nik said:
And I wouldn't buy a 7 dreadnaught, I need my cutaway for teh solos. :shred:

A dreadnaught could have a cutaway.

It's surprising, but the acoustic parts on "Home" off Scenes from a Memory were done on a solidbody electric. I wouldn't be one to question JP's taste, because he makes a lot more money than I do, but I would have done it on a real acoustic myself. :nuts:

')