Extended Range Basses

• Thread starter GTBD7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GTBD7

Reaction score
Anyone here play extended range basses? 7 strings +

What company do you find make the better basses?

I was given a Conklin GTBD7 and it's amazing to play on. Best thing about it is that the fingerboard is purple heart instead of rosewood.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesRGoodall

Reaction score
Well, I got this. 11 string multi-scale made by Chris Stambaugh. Theres a thread somewhere on the first page about it. Here's a pic tho!
image-2_zpsdad734d7.jpg

And a video: Stambaugh Designs 11 String Extended Range Bass - James Goodall - YouTube

And the original NBD thread from TalkBass: NBD Stambaugh 11 string! [Warning: this thread contains ERB content and bass pr0n] - TalkBass Forums

DjentDjentlalala

Reaction score
Can you actually play it? :lol: seems like the lowest strings are for tapping only,since it's damn impossible to "finger" them in the conventional way.Unless you are 10 mt tall,haha

EDIT: for "can you actually play it" I mean "How the hell do you play it?"

JamesRGoodall

Reaction score
Can you actually play it? :lol: seems like the lowest strings are for tapping only,since it's damn impossible to "finger" them in the conventional way.Unless you are 10 mt tall,haha

EDIT: for "can you actually play it" I mean "How the hell do you play it?"

Click the link, friend. 9:45 I'm playing fingerstyle on the lowest two strings :)

Also I have large hands/long fingers :)

Thornmoon

Reaction score

I was given a Conklin GTBD7 and it's amazing to play on. Best thing about it is that the fingerboard is purple heart instead of rosewood.
I played them back in the day.. Have since sold them all. Conklins and Stambaughs were what I played. 6 strings is as high as I go these days.

Conklin8s.jpg

1.jpg

kot.jpg

hollow.jpg

JamesRGoodall

Reaction score
Thornmoon, considering the filthy price difference between Stambaughs and Conklins, how do they differ in quality? I've never had the chance to play a Conklin, and the only one in my area I know of it a GTBD-7.

Thornmoon

Reaction score
Thornmoon, considering the filthy price difference between Stambaughs and Conklins, how do they differ in quality? I've never had the chance to play a Conklin, and the only one in my area I know of it a GTBD-7.
The Stambaugh was equal in quality of construction and attention to detail as the Conklins were. I can't recommend Chris (Stambaugh) enough!

MistaMarko

www.markmichell.com
Reaction score
Nice to see the Conklin love in here. That was my first "nice bass" many years ago, and was my main bass for probably a good 4-5 years. Absolutely loved it, and the single-coil Barts really punched in the mix.

Can't recommend those enough! I got a nice tone in the studio with it too:

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score

First off Im jealous you got given a $1,000 bass thats crazy. 2nd I am a huge erb nut I really dig surine's designs personally some other great builders are these guys Elrick, Roscoe, Mtd, Fodera, Benevente, ACG, Bruebaker, Clement Sukop, Adler, ken Smith, Bee basses, Pratt, Prometeus, Jerzy Drozd, F bass, Warrior, Cliff Bordwell, Fbm, Skjold, and Stambaugh there are several other sick builders but those are the initial ones that come to mind

GTBD7

Reaction score
Well I'm from New Zealand so its worth a bit more than $1000 haha. But yea funny story really. A friend of mine had it and I asked to borrow it to jam. He said I could have it because he has a custom 9 string Jerzy Drozd bass

')