Extended range basses

• Thread starter transperformanc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

transperformanc

Reaction score
check these out

top one is tuned F# B E A D G C F

bottom one is tuned C# F# B E A D G C F Bb Eb

Attachments

• shepard.jpg
    shepard.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 74
  • trip_frontview.jpg
    trip_frontview.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 236670.jpg
    236670.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 68

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
:spock: I'm surprised it's even possible to hear that!

The fundamental is somewhat difficult to hear, though you can. When they say human hearing only goes to to 20 hz, that in reference to to discerning speech and whatnot. That said, C#0 (and below) is felt more than herd. :agreed:

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Also even though you can hear many of the overtones much better than the fundamental your brain will reconstruct the fundamental based on the harmonics.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I remember Yves Carbon using a low low B (around 16Hz) and it was perfectly audible due to his perfect Nogera bass and the marvelous overtones it produces :) even on records. I know Jauqo III-X use a low C# tuned fretless 4 strings with great success.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
Very interesting. Thank you for the Physics lessons, guys! :)

7string

Reaction score
I've ordered a 9 string from AC Guitars in Moffat, UK A.C. Guitars - Hand Crafted Basses & Guitars which will be tuned F# B E A D G C F Bb. There's a thread on this part of the sevenstring.org forum.

ACGFrontBridge211108.jpg

The thing about ERB's is that they may look pretty scary, but they're usually quite easy to get around on. I bought a Conklin Groove Tools 7 string a few years ago and I have a 7 string from Sei Bass in London, UK Welcome to the Sei Bass Homepage. I play everything on a 7, so it's not a case of I'm playing an Iron Maiden song so I'll switch basses. I like the fact that I can play 'regular' bass or play some chordal or solo stuff. To me it's just about having those choices on the instrument so I can play what I want, when I want to and playing whatever is suited to the music that I'm playing.

The ERB doesn't tell me what I should play, but what I could play.

Latest posts

')