External hard drive?

IdentityDevice

Reaction score
So im trying to sell my triple rec half stack to get stuff to record at home with since I never use my stack in a live setting. (I play drums in a band). Im trying to get $1600 out of it and im trying to figure out how to use this money most effectively. so far I know I want the pod hd pro and I know i'll want an external hard drive. What should I get? How much space will I need for maybe putting all my cd collection on (just in case something happens to my laptop and I don't want to lose all my music) and also to have plenty of room for recorded music and all, and what is a good and reliable brand? Also, I know I want to get superior drummer 2.0 as everyone says its the best. Thought about getting monitors but I think ill go with some good headphones because I live in an apartment so what headphones would you all recommend that would give me an accurate sound? Hmmm what else, should I invest in a midi controller for drum programming or is it just as easy to click in the drum samples with a mouse? Ok sorry about the novel, im just new to all this stuff and ya gotta start somewhere right! Lol. Thanx a lot :) ian.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sh4z

Reaction score
Triple Rec's are great amps :metal: Personally I would love to pick one up but I already have a 6505+ :p I could use a cab though :yesway:

Personally I stick to Western Digital or Seagate drives for storage. But I would strongly advise NOT to have one backup/copy. Make multiple backups!!!

External hard drives are great - especially the 2.5" variants as they usually do not require to lug around a power adapter as well - they can get enough power from your USB port. This is plus if you want maximum portability. 3.5" drives are larger and usually require power adapter - but can be cheaper.

As for capacity - depends on how much you need to store ? how big is your CD collection - and what quality will you be saving them in - I would recommend FLAC as it will give you the best quality (lossless) this is ideal for backing up music in 100% quality. It also takes up the most space. 320KBR MP3 would be my second choice as it has enough quality for most uses but doesn't take up as much space. It's up to you in the end.

Not sure about monitors - I can recommend the higher-end Sennheiser headphones - some of them are not completely transparent for monitoring because they emphasize lower frequencies (I like bass :D).

No idea about the midi/drum programming.

Hope some of this is helpful anyway and good luck!

IdentityDevice

Reaction score
Cool. Thanx very much for your advice. Really appreciate it. P.s. looking into BUYING (lol) cubase 6 with the stack money as well :)

TGN

Reaction score
If you want to get everything in that budget you could consider Reaper (instead of Cubase), which is powerful but at a very low cost.

manana

Reaction score
Reaper is amazing! If you are looking for an external dont buy "an external hard drive" those are over-marketed and overpriced as fuck. Get a spinpoint f3 on newegg when the price drops and a rosewill external enclosure(comes with eSATA and a fan) and presto: your very own amazing external terabyte drive.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
My advice, if you can avoid it at all, DO NOT buy any hard drives right now. The prices are currently stupidly inflated due to recent flooding where most are manufactured. Wait until the prices come back down. Once that happens - I've always had good luck with Western Digital. As for capacity, I have an insanely huge collection of music and even then, it's "only" around 320 gigs

IdentityDevice

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the advice. Ill wait a bit then I suppose. I have to sell my amp first anyways, I am just trying to figure out what all I want for when the time comes. I keep hearing such good things about reaper. I even went on a reaper vs cubase searchfest lol and dang there are a lot of reaper supporters out there Haha but I have a hard time keeping up with the recording program talk because I know so little about it. Ive just heard reaper is limited in the midi dept. And maybe in the editing dept as well. I could be wrong. I've always gotten the impression though that most other programs are "bloated" with a bunch of stuff ill probably never use haha Don't know if I should go ahead and get a program that isn't limited in any dept (or is it?) While I have the money or maybe reaper is all I would need. Want to have supior drummer, and record my guitar/bass stuff and be able to program drums. That's it really.

Blazerok

Reaction score
+1 for waiting for the Hard drive. The Internal hard drive i bought 2 weeks ago for my homebuilt PC cost me an arm, around $130 for a WD 500g Internal Hard drive!
I use some Audio technica ATH-M50 as Headphones, wich are nice, cheap, and really clear.
The Pod HD is a good option, i'm using the 500 right now and it serves me well.
For metal drum sounds I use superior drummer + the metal machine ezx, wich is very cool in my opinion, very useable drum samples in there.
I made some clips with all those gear, using reaper, and i've been satisfied with the results so far.

')