Extra frets?

• Thread starter wretchedspawn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ScareRaven

The Golden Raven
Reaction score
I've also been considering a 7-string instrument with 27 frets. Frets 17-27 scalloped... A few extra frets only opens up more possibilites for your instrument, without having to necessarily sacrifice any tone by pulling the neck pup a little bit closer to the bridge. Honestly, this fret arrangement must be great for creating an exceptionally versatile instrument... Of course, it's all in your playing style.

If somebody wants to have 36 frets and only use the 30th-36th fret, then so be it. Musicians should be taking their art in different directions. If nobody else will listen to the ear-piercing guitar pieces, save for the listener, then what does it matter? It might have been awkward for one caveman to see another caveman carving holes in an animals thigh bone, or stretch hide over a frame; and only to discover a way of creating music!

Travel the world, and there is no doubt in my mind that there's somebody playing ear-piercing notes on a stringed instrument and is ENJOYING it! :) Haha... Well you see, I have yet to find someone. But you hear all kinds of demented notes in Atonal classical music, no?

I hope this was somewhat insightful for some of you. If 36 frets is something you have the urge and finances to do, then go for it! Don't hesitate if you know you can do something unique with the instrument! I'll leave you with a quote: "Music prompts us to respond with open-heartedness instead of judgement. It ushers us to a higher place from where we can see beyond distractions to what is true and good and lasting. If musicians accept this responsibility, they can change the world." (Michael Shrieve) An interesting conglomeration of words, nonetheless... Something like the notes of music. Arrange them, give them personal meaning... Do what you will with music!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I've never owned a guitar with more than 24 frets, but I have played one before and I also own a mandolin (which has very very small frets). I find it difficult to play around the 22-24th frets on a normal guitar (although it's a lot easier after having played on my mandolin :lol:), so if I were going to get a guitar with a bunch more frets, I'd probably do the Uli Roth idea of doing them in whole steps instead of half steps, simply because it'd make it easier to play. That's just me, though. Or, I'd do it on a much longer scale guitar so that the frets up there would be bigger and easier to play. Personally, if I were going to get such a guitar, I'd get 27, 29, or 30 frets (somewhere around there). I think that 30-36 would just be so hard to play, regardless of how they sound.

D

Desecrated

Thanks for your help dudes. Im thinking about possibly ordering a Sherman Guitars Sirius model 8 string. http://www.sherman-guitars.com/sirius.htm . I know I said I didn't want to go to 8 strings but I think It is an amazing looking guitar. Another question though. Since I prefer to play in Bb standard and this guitar doesnt have fanned frets would it be ok to have a high Ab string instead of the low F? Again any help is appreciated.

I appologize if this is in the wrong section since it is now about an 8 string.

Good idea, If you want to tune down the guitar a little to Bb you can probably go with a garry goodman 007 string for a high Ab, then a 009 for the e string and so on. Adding extra frets to an 8 string is not a bad idea and adding say 3-5 frets would give you extrem range. Ending up with a 27-29 fretted 8-string would be absolute freedom.

I have the garry goodman strings on one of my 7-strings, and I find the high notes extremly beutiful, having almost a violin caracther. I also play the violin and the mandolin so having more upper range on my guitar helps me to create counterpoint in the same octave instead of having to write it in different octaves (exept the cello part)

It also opens up for another thing; I do agre that playing down at 22-24 fret on a normal guitar does prove some difficulties, but when adding a higher string you can easily transport the song one string down and end up playing at 17-19 fret instead which just makes things so much easier.
I can also say that before getting the goodman string I never really used the 22-23-24 fret but now I find myself coming down to the higher notes just because they are new, as a writer I have found myself intriged over playing guitar again.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for your help dudes. Im thinking about possibly ordering a Sherman Guitars Sirius model 8 string. http://www.sherman-guitars.com/sirius.htm . I know I said I didn't want to go to 8 strings but I think It is an amazing looking guitar. Another question though. Since I prefer to play in Bb standard and this guitar doesnt have fanned frets would it be ok to have a high Ab string instead of the low F?
I absolutely agree that Mike's Sirius (and everything else I've seen him do) is gorgeous. I'd highly recommend fanned-frets and Mike is an experienced builder of straight & fanned instruments so I'm sure he'd be happy to comply.

You could definitely tune up to Bb at that scale (27.5") but you would require special extra-strength strings such as those Garry Goodman makes. However, Mike has hinted in another thread that he is developing his own strings as well so you'd definitely be in good hands if you chose to go with him.

*aside to Mike: Mike we're dying to know more about your string development - namely, can we count on you as another source of special strings for high tunings? The more sources the better for those of us with ERG's to use them!

Garry Goodman

8-0ctaves
Reaction score
Why would you want the extra octave anyway?
IMO It's pretty pointless to have notes that high and most people don't want to hear them.
They'd be pretty hard to hear anyway I think.

One could ask "why does Bosendorfer make a 97 not piano with a C0 string?" Some people argue humans can't hear that low, but pie organists,pianists and other musicians will disagree. So how can they sell this piano for $170,000 with notes no one can hear?

I stick to my view on all this. If a guitarist doesn't have a concept for 11 strings,don't buy an 11-string guitar. I created the 12-string single course concept so all notes on all 36 frets would be yseable. It's to have A flat 6 when playing "The Maple Leaf Rag" as written on guitar. Creating huge orchestral voicings spanning 7-8 octaves need 7-8 0ctaves to do so.

I am still working on new vocings several years after introducing the 11- and 120string concept. So if someone buys an 11-string,but really doesn't have a need for it's range,it is wasted. Nothing sounds like playing a line in octave 3-4 and doublong it in octave 7-8. I like fresh,original sounds so I require the entire range. It's a matter of personal tastes.

')