Extreme modding RG8 RNHD III + nut info

• Thread starter Ron Head
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Holy cow, I had no idea how much of a difference in but width there was between the Kahler and Floyd. That's pretty significant!

And strong work on getting that bridge in there. Definitely the most daunting part of this.

Wait, he said there will be a monkey grip somewhere ;)

Though yeah, that clean work to put the Floyd definetely needs some pore pics ^___^

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BillNephew

Reaction score
Why didn't you recess the Floyd? I would've recessed it just so you wouldn't have to change the neck angle at all, unless the neck sat high in the pocket to begin with. Are you going for the same function as the Edge 8 string fixed bridges, with the locking nut and fine tuners, but with a fixed bridge?

Prophetable

Prophet For Profit
Reaction score
Why didn't you recess the Floyd? I would've recessed it just so you wouldn't have to change the neck angle at all, unless the neck sat high in the pocket to begin with. Are you going for the same function as the Edge 8 string fixed bridges, with the locking nut and fine tuners, but with a fixed bridge?

It is recessed.

Ron Head

keep calm raise hell
Reaction score
halfway there ; it is playable - that Lundgren rules ! (and fits like a glove) , killswitch (push) on the volumepot is awesome , aswell as the push-pull function on the tonepot ( both pups single / double switchable) ..
now i wait for the lockingnut to arrive and meanwhile working on some optics , ok the pix sofar :

IMG_1075_zps29f9ef4c.jpg

IMG_1083_zps784fc20d.jpg

IMG_1073_zpsc6728a8d.jpg

IMG_1076_zps34725277.jpg

IMG_1078_zpsb6e3a739.jpg

IMG_1077_zps9b8ed0f7.jpg

push :

IMG_1070_zpsabf22628.jpg

pull :

IMG_1069_zps8cd298cd.jpg

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Wait, what is the push pull on the tone pot doing? You mean it's coil tapping? I don't get what you mean by both single/double.

Ron Head

keep calm raise hell
Reaction score
Pure genious and godly craftmanship you put there Ron.

mmm , a little correction here , the ideas on the modding are mine ; i'll collect the hardware , do some research on how to get stuff installed best , but i take it to my local guitarshop - Dijkmans Muziek in Breda ( NL) where Bob van Dinther is the luthier ..

i know him since the early 80ies ; he installed my first Kahler trem into an Iron Bird for me back then, and his craftmanship only got better , so that had to be said ( thought i'd mentioned it earlier that i didnt do these mods all by myself )

i could do the electrics myself though , but it saves me a lot of time when he finishes the jobs ; i should had to wait until the routes are digged anyway

Ron Head

keep calm raise hell
Reaction score
Wait, what is the push pull on the tone pot doing? You mean it's coil tapping? I don't get what you mean by both single/double.

pushed it has the double humbucker function/sound , pulled it has the single coil function/sound ..

with the 3-way switch in the middle position i combine both pick-ups and when tone pot is pulled , i'll have 2 single coils (1 neck 1 bridge) combined ..

and to complete info on the confihuration ; the volume pot is push only ; it comes back in position after releasing it and it kills signal when pushed ..

i choose for this way , now it still looks 'simple' or 'classic' or .., but with the avantage of much more possibilities / sounds , more economic playing too , and less luthery ( less drilling/routing )

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
mmm , a little correction here , the ideas on the modding are mine ; i'll collect the hardware , do some research on how to get stuff installed best , but i take it to my local guitarshop - Dijkmans Muziek in Breda ( NL) where Bob van Dinther is the luthier ..

i know him since the early 80ies ; he installed my first Kahler trem into an Iron Bird for me back then, and his craftmanship only got better , so that had to be said ( thought i'd mentioned it earlier that i didnt do these mods all by myself )

i could do the electrics myself though , but it saves me a lot of time when he finishes the jobs ; i should had to wait until the routes are digged anyway

Pure genious and godly craftmanship you paid for Ron. :lol:

Ron Head

keep calm raise hell
Reaction score
Any particular reason you didn't go for having both pickups uncovered or both covered?

i didn't mind that little flaw (looks) , and it saved me 100 bucks getting the DiMarzio instead of an extra Lundgren , aside from that the Lundgren is 'for both neck and bridge' and this DiMarzio specifically used for the neck ( output , soundwise ) , and with the extra options in my sounds , i wanted to have the right pickups in their place ..

it is all a try-out , testing etc , for when i go for the real thing ; some guitar completely custom made ... not sure what brand/luthier yet , or maybe i'll stick with Ibanez and modd some expensive model ( probably rg2228 or jc ) ...

the Lundgren was a first test how it would hold ( sound vs wood ) in a RG8 ( i knew it from my M80M , and loved it ) , so just might go for another one , just to test it in the neckposition ..

so .. all in all just testdriving this stuff , and looks are secondary , although i am working on a pickguard too ( mirror) , that might take away a bit those different pup looks

ow , this was my 3rd RG8 to get a modd , first 2 have EMG's in them , love that sound aswell , but mostly modded for having an alternative for the 2228 etc fixed bridges with finetuners + lockingnut and so the Kahler trems got in ..

Prophetable

Prophet For Profit
Reaction score
My question wasn't meant to be why did you get a DiMarzio to go with your M8, though I can see why you took it that way.

Actually, I was just being dumb. I saw DiMarzio and thought Seymour Duncan... So, nevermind! I just remembered that when I bought my SDs they offered covered and uncovered options for the same pickup. I see that the DiMarzio doesn't seem to do that.

Ron Head

keep calm raise hell
Reaction score
the new locking-nut has arrived , off to my luthier tomorrow and finish what was started :shred:

pix soon ofcorpse

... ordered a gold nut for a TAM10 job , tbc

')