F#BEADGB on a 26.5" 7 string

• Thread starter Wizeled
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wizeled

Reaction score
Hey there guys, my band decided they wanted to play in this tuning and my guitar is currently in 7 strings drop A, it's a Misha Mansoor USA Juggernaut Jackson with Bareknuckles. I was wondering what kind of string gauge would be ideal for this tuning for that guitar? The other guitarist has a guitar with the same scale in that tuning and he's using an .80 and it definitely feels way too thick for me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Then try something thinner... A 74 for example

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
It depends. What are you using for drop A? With thicker strings, brand can make a difference with feel, too.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
There's a conversion calculator on my site that you can plug your gauges and set it to drop 5 semitones (3, for the bottom string).
The 80 is pulling the same tension as a 67 A, if that gives you an idea.
Both of those are just right for me on that scale length, but if it's too much for you I'd suggest 12 16 22 31 42 56 76 as a starting point

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
I got excellent results using the Ernie Ball 8 string set on a KM-7 tuned to G standard.

Ziricote

Reaction score
You need the 80 for the tone. It sound like you arent comf with this tuning is this true

Wizeled

Reaction score
You need the 80 for the tone. It sound like you arent comf with this tuning is this true
Wouldn't say i'm not comfortable with the tuning just the 0.80 feels too much for me I was wondering If i could get away with a slightly thinner string.

Wizeled

Reaction score
There's a conversion calculator on my site that you can plug your gauges and set it to drop 5 semitones (3, for the bottom string).
The 80 is pulling the same tension as a 67 A, if that gives you an idea.
Both of those are just right for me on that scale length, but if it's too much for you I'd suggest 12 16 22 31 42 56 76 as a starting point
I'll give that a go , appreciated man!

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I would start with a D'addario 13-62 set or a 10-59 without the high E, then add a 74 for the low F# and adjust as needed from there.

The D'addario website has a good tension calculator too, where you can calculate your current tension with the gauges and tuning you have now, then approximate the gauges needed for the same feeling in the lower tuning. The also have the option to order individual strings if none of their stock sets feel right, which is what I end up doing for my guitars

Wizeled

Reaction score
I would start with a D'addario 13-62 set or a 10-59 without the high E, then add a 74 for the low F# and adjust as needed from there.

The D'addario website has a good tension calculator too, where you can calculate your current tension with the gauges and tuning you have now, then approximate the gauges needed for the same feeling in the lower tuning. The also have the option to order individual strings if none of their stock sets feel right, which is what I end up doing for my guitars
I ordered a 12-56 set and getting an extra 74 see how it does. Thanks for the suggestion buddy!

')