F1 Standard on a 7-string?

captainclock

CAPTAIN CLOCK
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a Harley Benton MultiScale 7-TPB. I'm not a complete beginner, I know somewhat theory but I lack practice. This will be my first 7. I want to go between two tunings: Drop A and F Standard (guess my favorite bands based on those tunings lol).

My fingers are short, so I think an 8-string would have too wide a neck to be able to comfortably reach the 8th string, so my idea is that a 7-string set up for F# Standard would accomodate downtuning one semitone to F Standard and dropping the 6th string to Drop A (ignoring the 7th entirely). This makes me able to play songs exactly as they were written on 6-string Drop A, and a little different in 8-string F Standard.

The guitar I'm looking to buy is 25.5"-27". Is that enough for as low as F1, or would the strings be too thick? I'm comfortable with the 6th string of a .12 set on my 6-string I attempted to set up for Drop A and failed miserably (I don't remember exactly the gauge of that string, sorry).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

')