F1 Standard on a 7-string?

captainclock

CAPTAIN CLOCK
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a Harley Benton MultiScale 7-TPB. I'm not a complete beginner, I know somewhat theory but I lack practice. This will be my first 7. I want to go between two tunings: Drop A and F Standard (guess my favorite bands based on those tunings lol).

My fingers are short, so I think an 8-string would have too wide a neck to be able to comfortably reach the 8th string, so my idea is that a 7-string set up for F# Standard would accomodate downtuning one semitone to F Standard and dropping the 6th string to Drop A (ignoring the 7th entirely). This makes me able to play songs exactly as they were written on 6-string Drop A, and a little different in 8-string F Standard.

The guitar I'm looking to buy is 25.5"-27". Is that enough for as low as F1, or would the strings be too thick? I'm comfortable with the 6th string of a .12 set on my 6-string I attempted to set up for Drop A and failed miserably (I don't remember exactly the gauge of that string, sorry).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
I have small, stubby digits and still manage to play 8-string guitar and 6-string bass just fine. I think neck shape/thickness and technique has more to say than simply the width of the board and the length of your fingers.

With that said, I can't see any reason why your plan shouldn't work? It sounds to me like it's just a matter of honing in on the perfect string gauges for the setup, which might take a try or two.

Also, one thing to notice! Harley Benton has some semi-thick/strange profile necks. I recently bought one of their Multiscale 8's, and while that guitar is completely playable and comfortable, it does have what feels like a really thick neck - maybe a D shape? It feels chunky but plays fine.

captainclock

CAPTAIN CLOCK
Reaction score
I have small, stubby digits and still manage to play 8-string guitar and 6-string bass just fine. I think neck shape/thickness and technique has more to say than simply the width of the board and the length of your fingers.

With that said, I can't see any reason why your plan shouldn't work? It sounds to me like it's just a matter of honing in on the perfect string gauges for the setup, which might take a try or two.

Also, one thing to notice! Harley Benton has some semi-thick/strange profile necks. I recently bought one of their Multiscale 8's, and while that guitar is completely playable and comfortable, it does have what feels like a really thick neck - maybe a D shape? It feels chunky but plays fine.
Alright, thanks! I have considered getting an 8, it's just that I'm really lacking practice right now (and, due to working and going to college, don't exactly have plenty of time to practice) and maybe a 7 will be easier to get the hang of.

')