F7NGD (First 7 NGD) Carvin Content

• Thread starter Psyy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Psyy

The Care Cup's Empty
Reaction score
Well gentlemen... this is a day to remember. A day of epic beginnings and a day of bittersweet endings. The seven string guitar has made its way into my life for the first time, and I doubt it will ever leave. In saying that, I can almost guarantee with the same fervour that I will never again look at a six string the same. Already my few models seem... inadequate. Boring, even. But alas, change must ever take place, and I can see a bright future for myself concerning sevens.

But enough of such talk. On to the story.

So I woke up this morning with the intention of doing nothing (exam week demands nothing more, really), and followed suit by promptly turning on my computer and heading upstairs to make a sandwich while it booted up. Now a day of laziness must be dictated properly, so I immediately brought up some good ol’ Haunted Shores tracks while I chowed down on my Panini. Eventually, I ran out of material to listen to, (all too quickly I might add. MOAR TRACKS MARK AND CHRIS) and decided it would be best if I moved on to Chimp Spanner from there on.

Now the point came where I was bobbing my head to the groovy low-end tapping part in ‘Bad Code’ when a doorbell rudely interrupted my listening process. Grumbling to myself that I had to pause halfway through such an amazing song, I climbed the stairs to the door, still looking as if I had just stumbled out of bed. I was met at the door by an elderly gent, sporting a rather frazzled haircut and a curiously large rectangular box.
He seemed to mumble out some sort of greeting, though to tell the truth I barely heard him, since my eyes had picked out the large text on the opposite side of the box: Carvin Manufacturers. I thanked him for his time (I’m sure quite abruptly) and all but shut the door in his face as I quickly traversed the steps to my living room, anxious to open my long-anticipated prize.

Now upon setting the box down, I suddenly realized I did not have the usual knife I carry around in my housecoat, so I went off in search of one. I came back moments later to find that my dog had already claimed the guitar as her own, though I have to admit she has good taste.
DSCF6771.jpg

After a life or death battle with her to reclaim what was rightfully mine (the knife came in handy) I set about unpacking it. Fairly easy, and I have to say the case is very nice. Not bulky at all while still providing a good amount of protection. I took photos of the case, but didn’t bother to upload them to Photobucket. :noway:

Pictures of the axe:
First off, I'll say it came out exactly as I envisioned. With the recent threads I've seen speaking of Carvin's QC mess-ups, I was a bit nervous as mine neared completion. Aesthetically, I love it. Couldn't have asked for a better paint job.
DSCF6789.jpg

The flame goes great with the soft fade black that outlines the body. Keith from Carvin was the one I dealt with and he suggested it when I initially gave him the specs for it. I'm ridiculously glad he is. If anything the soft fade black accents the flamed blueburst even better, and just gives a nice, subtle touch of a border to keep the guitar from appearing static.
DSCF6793.jpg

I love the headstock. It's nice and slim, and the white Carvin logo looks very tasteful with the black border. Imo at least. :cool:
DSCF6792.jpg

Here's another shot of the body in a different light. The blue looks much brighter than it is, but to me that's all the better. I can have a suave-looking axe, or a bright eye-jerker, depending on where I'm playing. :lol:
DSCF6790.jpg

Neck-thru. :hbang:

I've never played a neck-thru to be honest, and I'm sure I'll notice any subtleties compared to a bolt-on in time, but aesthetically it just looks much nicer to me. I suppose for some the stark cut-off from the painted body to the maple neck could be a downer, but I'm so pleased with the overall guitar I couldn't care less.
(Sorry for the poor quality on this one. Don't know what happened.)

DSCF6794.jpg

Lastly, a review:
From the hour or so I've been able to play this thing, I love it. Nice and smooth, the action is extremely low. The only drawback is that the 7th string buzzes a fair amount, and feels almost wobbly when I pick hard. I'm not experienced enough with 7's (this is the only one I've been able to touch for more than 10 minutes) so I couldn't say if this is normal or not. Any advice would be appreciated. :metal:

Excellently balanced. When I've got it resting on my leg, it could stay there for eternity, really. And this makes it seem like I'm playing an instrument, rather than carrying one, if that makes any sense to anyone. I've felt like that while playing a few sixes over the years.

The pickups are as to be expected for stock. Muddy without much midrange control. The lows get to them really easily, but I plan on switching these out for some BKP's in the near future, so I'm not worried. Aside from that, they look really good. Best-looking stock pickups I think I've ever seen. For this style of paint anyway.

The neck feels good. I've gotten so used to 6 necks over the few years I've been playing that the concept of a flat neck is so weird to me. But it feels amazing. The width of the neck is probably fairly average for a 7, but it's just perfect for me. Couldn't have asked for anything different.

I think that's all I've got guys. Thanks for checking this out. For a guitar I only went with based on review, I think it was a pretty good purchase. Couldn't be happier with my first 7, considering the first impression I needed. 7 strings just feels... right. I couldn't explain much more than that. :bowdown:

Edit: I almost forgot. I need to thank Cataclysmichael for his great recommendation for this guitar. I'd been contemplating a Carvin for some time, but after asking him about it, he gave me a positive enough review that I was dead set on this model.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Psyy

The Care Cup's Empty
Reaction score
Sorry for the formatting guys. It seems the text all jumbled together. Is there a way I could fix it so it's a little more readable?

lateralus819

Mr. legacy
Reaction score
MMMMHMMMMM! Carvin goodness! Looks great man. Did ya get some SS frets? I love the necks on these things. Mine is so comfy.

Joelan

Ukulele Shredder
Reaction score
Congrats, that is one fucking sexy finish. Good picstory too :yesway:

As for the wobbly buzzing low B, I'm going to suggest that perhaps the Carvin factory has equipped it with an inadequately meaty 7th string. When you restring it, I'd recommend you grab a 6 pack of the gauge you use for your sixers, and buy an extra low E string for your B. I grab a pack of 10s for a sixer and an extra 62 for the low B personally, though lately I've found the 59 in the 7 string pack of D'addarios to be adequate.

And is it just me or are the Carvins looking less rounded and a bit more chiseled like a JP?

Psyy

The Care Cup's Empty
Reaction score
Congrats, that is one fucking sexy finish. Good picstory too :yesway:

As for the wobbly buzzing low B, I'm going to suggest that perhaps the Carvin factory has equipped it with an inadequately meaty 7th string. When you restring it, I'd recommend you grab a 6 pack of the gauge you use for your sixers, and buy an extra low E string for your B. I grab a pack of 10s for a sixer and an extra 62 for the low B personally, though lately I've found the 59 in the 7 string pack of D'addarios to be adequate.

And is it just me or are the Carvins looking less rounded and a bit more chiseled like a JP?

I thought it was something like that. I'd put the string at a 58-ish, really. Thanks a lot for the response. :)

And yeah, it's apparently the new body shape. I like it, to be honest. Possibly even more so than the old, more rounded sides. Looks sleeker. :hbang:

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
Great looking guitar! You can't beat Carvin's tops and finish dept. for the money and quick build time. The Non-Rounded body looks great too, nice that Carvin responded to peoples request for that option.

Not unusual that a brand new guitar needs a bit of a set-up out of the box. Actually it would almost be weird if it didn't need one after getting shipped from San Diego and bouncing around USP facilities for a couple days. Likely just needs a simple set-up you can do yourself if you have a couple inexpensive tools and the time/desire. Perhaps it would be better to wait till you change the pick-ups as it is going to need a set-up after that anyways now that I think about it.

Congrats again. Excellent first 7 choice.

Psyy

The Care Cup's Empty
Reaction score
Great looking guitar! You can't beat Carvin's tops and finish dept. for the money and quick build time. The Non-Rounded body looks great too, nice that Carvin responded to peoples request for that option.

Not unusual that a brand new guitar needs a bit of a set-up out of the box. Actually it would almost be weird if it didn't need one after getting shipped from San Diego and bouncing around USP facilities for a couple days. Likely just needs a simple set-up you can do yourself if you have a couple inexpensive tools and the time/desire. Perhaps it would be better to wait till you change the pick-ups as it is going to need a set-up after that anyways now that I think about it.

Congrats again. Excellent first 7 choice.

And my first 8's coming from Jim at S7. I've been chatting it up with him for the last 5 days or so concerning a possible 8 design. :scream:

Crazy nice guy.

You'll probably end up getting your S7 before I do, so make sure you give a full review on it! Playability, ergonomics, weighting, etc.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
And my first 8's coming from Jim at S7. I've been chatting it up with him for the last 5 days or so concerning a possible 8 design. :scream:

Crazy nice guy.

You'll probably end up getting your S7 before I do, so make sure you give a full review on it! Playability, ergonomics, weighting, etc.

Awesome! Jim sent me pics of the final few pieces of lumber to choose from both raw and wiped down with mineral spirits to show how the grain pops. Incredible service! And he located some Lacewood that is going to blow your guys minds. I don't want to post just shots of the raw planks but I can't wait to show off the completed guitar. I'm eating Ramen and potatoes for the next couple months so I can try and buy an Axe-Fx in time for the guitars completion :idea: Food is so overrated...

I have to admit I am starting to consider a hardtail 8 stringer. Perhaps yours will inspire me to give it a try but I am pretty sure I need to get better with the 7 first :metal:

At least you got one of the "waits" over with today :agreed:

Psyy

The Care Cup's Empty
Reaction score
Awesome! Jim sent me pics of the final few pieces of lumber to choose from both raw and wiped down with mineral spirits to show how the grain pops. Incredible service! And he located some Lacewood that is going to blow your guys minds. I don't want to post just shots of the raw planks but I can't wait to show off the completed guitar. I'm eating Ramen and potatoes for the next couple months so I can try and buy an Axe-Fx in time for the guitars completion :idea: Food is so overrated...

I have to admit I am starting to consider a hardtail 8 stringer. Perhaps yours will inspire me to give it a try but I am pretty sure I need to get better with the 7 first :metal:

At least you got one of the "waits" over with today :agreed:

Yeah, it was getting unbearable! I had a Carvin 7 on the way and was dreaming of a S7+1 without even playing my 7 yet! But I'm totally glad its over with. I'll be writing tons with this 7. Feels much better than a six, really.

To be honest, I love fixed bridges. They feel so smooth with my picking/palm muting style. I don't think I'd go with anything else.

Yeah, Jim was telling me he was looking for some Lacewood for you. Looking forward to seeing your final product. Good luck!

In the meantime though, I'm going to enjoy this guitar to the fullest of my ability. :shred:

cataclysm_child

SS.org UnRegular
Reaction score
Tasty. Thats a nice clean flame you got there. Too bad you didnt choose to have the rounded body sides though, I think thats what makes the 727/747 look special, but thats just my opinion.

Congrats! Got to just love Carvin :)

GeoMantic

Reaction score
My jaw literally dropped. That is gorgeous. I've always wanted a guitar with those exact specs. You lucky bastard.

I can't even tell you how many times I've filled out their quote form with those options. Amazing NGD:yesway: You have excellent taste.

I honestly prefer the nonrounded sides. What wood choice did you go with for the body?

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
I woke up this morning with the intention of doing nothing
followed suit by promptly turning on my computer and heading upstairs
Now a day of laziness must be dictated properly,
so I immediately brought up some good ol’ Haunted Shores tracks while I chowed down on my Panini.

Fixed :yesway:

and yes, your text could be sang "dead or alive" style man!!!
Wanteduspro.jpeg

Psyy

The Care Cup's Empty
Reaction score
Haha, thanks guys.

Yeah, I was contemplating the rounded body sides, but then completely forgot about my train of thought once I called them up! Haha! (fail :squint:) Maybe with my next one!

And thanks Josh! I had a few moments of unfaithfulness to this exact spec after seeing a few of the natural finish models that have been popping up around this forum (Cataclysmichael's is one) but in the end I was completely glad I went with it. The body wood is ash, and to be honest, I really like it. The thing sustains forever and ever. And the grain on the back looks classy to me.

XdiscoXvolanteX

Reaction score
That might be one of the most gorgeous guitars I've ever seen. It's like the Blue Dawn color on the Petrucci's, only with one very tight flame. Treat her well, man. Congrats!

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
i have yet to lay eyes on a carvin that didnt wow me. im loving the blue and the soft black fade. once day ill own one :(

')