Face Coverings/ Masks... What are you wearing?

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Topic was sparked by @spudmunkey in the covid thread. But I wanted to create a specific thread regarding masks. My intent here is to find out what people are wearing... brands, types, etc... and how well you've adapting to what you're currently wearing. Please include links if you're able and personal pros/ cons. It would also be appropriate here if anyone wants to share speculative or factual information in regards to materials, perceived effectiveness, etc. Thank you very much for your participation.

I started out wearing a standard molded contour/ cone mask with a bandana over top of that but have since moved to a washable poly/ spandex mask made by GetHyMask.com ( sold by One Stop Shorts https://www.etsy.com/shop/OneStopShorts?ref=shop_sugg ). It utilizes a replaceable filter ( sold separately) that is inserted into the side of the mask. It also has an aluminum nose-strip that you can opt to use or not. These masks tie in the back ( not the "around the ears" type) but I added a couple of plastic spring-toggle cord locks in order to make it more adjustable.

My wife finds the LG size a bit too big but she has a little head I guess. She does feel it's better than the masks that wrap around the ears as those have caused her irritation/ chafing after extended -wear. I don't have any issues with my GetHyMask although I do worry about the spandex material so I may look for something else before too long. They are certainly comfortable and breathable enough. She wears hers up to 8-9 hours a day.

*** Also I feel the need to mention that these masks are not medical grade/ not approved by FDA nor CDC to be effective against spread of infectious diseases. It would be assumed that most others that people are wearing are also not approved.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
i think those ^ might be my favorite style. Soft, with bands around the back of your head. Might have to try them out.

i've also been meaning to try some that are like the tall turtleneck-type collar/scarves...but I don't generally like things around my neck, so I might just try one some time.

To repost what I posted in the other thread, with some additional info:

I've tried out a bunch of masks, and if I have to wear any for any length of time, there's only a couple of them that I wear, and none hook around my ears. I either have tie straps behind my head, or I have three of the "XL" masks from GhostCircus apparel, and I've tied string between the two ear loops, so it acts more like n elestic strap behind my head, and not hooked into my ears....but even without it, the XL size is much less uncomfortable on my ears than the "normal" size. Very soft, jersey knit style fabric. Most masks like this claim that there's are washable, but generally only for like 10-30 washings. Never machine dry if you can help it, as that will help the fabric and the elastic last longer.
https://ghostcircusapparel.com/coll...ucts/ninja-xlarge-organic-cotton-face-cover-1

I also have one of their OG masks. It's not stretchy, it's pleated like the "Ninja" masks above. The ear straps are more like just thin strips of elastic, which does mean that they don't push your ears out as far as a thicker strap would...but it's also less soft. The wire they have for the nose, too, is very very thin, so it easily gets mashed up in the wash, and it gets a little pokey if you try to form it too tightly around your nose.
https://ghostcircusapparel.com/products/og-charcoal-face-mask

I have another, where there's a top and bottom cord that goes behind my head. It's not eleastic: there's a spring clip that adjusts the strap like a draw string. That one's quite comfortable, buy very heavy/thick. It's from DEFY Bags. It's pricey, and definitely the most expensive mask I have, but it's the most comfortable. It's just heavy since the shell is denim. It has fold-up gussets that go over your nose and under your chin.
https://defybags.com/products/copy-of-the-bandit-mask
It got fairly wrinkled in the first washing, but it's still the most comfortable one and since it's denim, likely the one that will survive the most washings. I reversed the cord, too, so the edjustable one is on top. This let's me quickly loosen the top, so that the mask drops down without me needing to touch it, for drinking water, etc).
upload_2020-6-25_15-9-32.png

At first, i couldn't find ANY masks for the first...almost 2 months of the SIP, after having countless orders cancelled. My mom's band of "The Masked Stitchers" sewing group back home made some for me. They used up all of the material that they could find, or got donated. Some of the fabrics are...not worn as often. ;) They have good coverage, even over my beard when I let it go long. And the straps are super long. i plan to cut them short and add elastic that goes around the back of my head at some point.
upload_2020-6-25_15-7-45.png

Eventually, a couple of weeka ago, I finally received some of the first masks i ordered back in February. They spent 7 weeks in transit from China. I haven't opened them. They were $5/10, and I'm saving them as back-ups in case i arrive on a jobsite, and someone from my crew doesn't have one. I have zero idea if they are crappy, etc. The Amazon listing had since been removed. Even after my backorder got pushed back so far, i let it ride because the price wasn't bad, and i just wanted black. ha!
upload_2020-6-25_15-29-29.png

What I wish, though, was that the places that claim to donate, would post some records of proof of delivery. Many many many places claim to donate one for every one bought, or even 2 for every one bought, but I have yet to see a single social media post with any sort of proof of delivery. I'd pay $15 for a $10 mask, if I knew for sure that one being donated was actually donated, and not just a ploy to be able to charge $5 more.

Last edited:

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I also have one of their OG masks. It's not stretchy, it's pleated like the "Ninja" masks above. The ear straps are more like just thin strips of elastic, which does mean that they don't push your ears out as far as a thicker strap would...but it's also less soft. The wire they have for the nose, too, is very very thin, so it easily gets mashed up in the wash, and it gets a little pokey if you try to form it too tightly around your nose.
https://ghostcircusapparel.com/products/og-charcoal-face-mask

Sorry, in this one, I wrote "like the 'Ninja' masks above", but I meant "*unlike* the 'Ninja' masks above". The Ninja masks are like stretchy jersy. The OG is more like a stiffer, pleated non-stretchy material.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I did find a subredit that has a "reviews" megathread...but it's a bit cumbersome because of that. The thread seems to be for just sharing memes and articles about wearing masks, so scrolling through a single thread of comments to find reviews, etc, isn't as user-friendly. A sub where each post is a review, which could include a thumbnail of a photo, would be way easier to navigate, i think.

But, here it is anyway:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Masks4All/

Last edited:

jaxadam

Reaction score
I’m wearing one my wife made me. It’s made out of one of my old pair of favorite shorts. She also made a coworker one out of the same pair. I’m hoping she used the right parts of the shorts that she should have.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I’m wearing one my wife made me. It’s made out of one of my old pair of favorite shorts. She also made a coworker one out of the same pair. I’m hoping she used the right parts of the shorts that she should have.

By "right" you mean you want your coworker to be breathing through the ghosts of your farts, right?

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I even bought two 'ear saver" plastic things, but none of my masks with ear loops have loops long enough to reach the earsavers. :lol:

I kinda wish wearing face shields were more common. maybe they just wouldn't work as well, but one super secure jobsite said we had to wear face shields and no masks, because of the security camera surveilance. I'm used to wearing things like hard hats all day anyway, so that was a nice change-of-pace.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I just came across these, and they seem like they might be the best design i've seen yet. I've just placed an order for 2. I wish I could have found a free shipping code or something. They are $12 each, and $6 shippng to me in California, so they are really $15, which is the going-rate for not-crap masks.

While it looks like they have ear loops, those look longer so they don't actually pull on your ears. At least that's my hope.
https://mambeblankets.com/products/face-mask?variant=32285543759952

MambeMaskTwoSizesa-1000_1400x.jpg

I'll post a review once i receive.

Annoyingly, they put the tags on the upper seam, which means that you'll possibly be able to see them protruding out of the bottom corner of your field of view. The Defy Bags one i linked to above had it on the bottom. I'll cut it off either way, but still.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
I'm just using your basic blue/white disposable surgical masks. I only leave the house once or twice a week and I can get a couple wears out of one before I feel like it needs to be replaced, so the pack of 50 I have should last a while.

I'm still waiting to find something higher quality for long term use that I can actually get in the UK.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Definitely the disposals are super lightweght, so pretty comfortable that way. However, I just don't like making the waste if i can help it, and knowing that they blow around out of our trash bins outside, etc. Plus, at some point, I'm going to need multiple per day, so disposible isn't sustainable over longer periods of time.

TheKindred

TimeTravel Innovator
Reaction score
Mask it or casket
That's not very Florida man of you

Re:OP - I work in a rehearsal space and we have to mask up to have the studio open. Unfortunately with 2 feet of beard, most of the standard "hook under the chin" style are not comfy for me. I ended up getting one custom made that had an extra foot of material down from the chin, so it ends up being more bandit wearing a bandana style.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've used a couple things so far.

I have a BUNCH of bandanas - I've done the Red Bandana Run over at BC for a number of years now so at first I was using one of those tied around my face, and lately a black bandana instead - early on a Specialized designer I follow on Instagram sold a bunch of "The Dark Lord's Darkest Handkerchiefs" for charity and that got a chuckle out of me so I bought one. Any bandana, though, so no links... Folded in half, since two layers of cotton is enough to be pretty effective. I'll wear one of these while just walking around, usually, though it's not especially comfortable across my nose for long periods of time.

I've tried two Buff facemasks while riding:

Lightweight Merino Wool: I REALLY liked this at first, but they stretch. More comfortable than the UV+ ones with facial hair, but they won't stay in place after a few uses. I'll still use it for neck protection in the winter but this isn't really good for wearing out and about as a face covering.
https://www.buffusa.com/shop-buff/m...-category/lightweight-merino-wool-family.html

CoolNet UV+: Less comfortable with a beard (this finally got me to stop growing out a QuaranBeard and trim), and less comfortable when wet than the Merino Wool ones, but they'll hold position. I wear these while ouit biking or hiking or on long walks - I have two so I can rotate and let them dry afger washing, while still having something to wear.
https://www.buffusa.com/shop-buff/men/multifunctional-headwear-category/coolnet-uv-plus-family.html

OrNot "Ninja" facemask: Got this yesterday, actually, they're a cycling company I like so I thought I'd try their masks. Very little experience yet, this is definitely a "wash before wearing" as it lets off little bits of fuzz at first. It has ear loops, you'll need to tie them back for fit... but Im also using a mini S-biner carabiner to clip it together behind my head on the ear tabs, and that's more comfortable than wearing it over the ears, I think. So far, I like this, though I was hoping the fabric would be a little thicker.
https://www.ornotbike.com/collections/mens-new-season/products/ornot-mask

No link or picture, but a two-ply egyptian cotton square mask my GF got of Etsy. Sort of accordian pleats to the cotton to allow it to conform to your face a little. hooks behind your ears, whoch I don't find comfortable for sustained periods of time. It also could be bigger, the shape means its either falling off my nose or at risk of coming off my chin and uncovering my mouth. I've tried it a few times and will still use it on occasion but it's also not ideal.

Buffs are tough to beat if you want something to run or ride in, especially if you live somewhere where you can pull it down when you're not within 6 feet of someone else. They're single layer, though, so they're not AS good at providiing protection to you or others if you don't fold them in half (tough to do one handed at 20-25mph while riding). A banana is thick enough but tight enough to stay in place puts a lot of pressure on my nose. The Ornot mask is actually pretty comfy, though I wish it extended further under my chin and was a little thicker. Haven;t really found one ideal all-in-one solution yet, but I definitely have favorites for specific purposes - the OrNot mask MIGHT edge out a bandana for general use.

sleewell

Reaction score
work has the light blue ones out free for everyone.

a woman in the neighborhood is making them so i spent $30 and got one for each of us.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
work has the light blue ones out free for everyone.

a woman in the neighborhood is making them so i spent $30 and got one for each of us.

I *tried* to buy local, but Facebook marketplace and craigslist both stripped out any listings with the word "masks", but then still allowed fly-by-night companies, many of which ended up being scams, to advertize masks on Facebook. :facepalm:

My office just bought several cases of 500 for he office for visitors who dont have them, for whatever reason. The bice thing is that building security, which can usually arrive on-site in 30 seconds, has told eveyrone that they will be responding with the same expediency for mask non-compliance (since we're in a sort of open-air shopping mall with attached office spaces that people often think are shops).

Latest posts

')