Fallen out of love with my Agile :(

• Thread starter Acre
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I love my 27in scale Agile Interceptor.

I have larger than normal hands, and long fingers.. I had no issues at all with a curve of geting used to the guitar....

It was the first time I had tried emg's in a seven string guitar....
At first My playing sounded sloppy but I learned to tighten my technique, properly mute when needed, and over all became a more precise player.
The emg's made me clean up a lot becasue they pick up every touch.

I feel the neck is less combersome than a schecter 7 ... I prefer the Agile neck to my Ibanez 7321 neck as well....

I couldnt be more happy with my guitar. Its a beast playing metal thru my high gain tube amp.

I think we're long lost metal brothers. :tmm:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paintkilz

Banned
Reaction score
Everything else being equal, my Interceptor sounds identical to my friends EMG equipped Ibanez, which is made from basswood. That displeases me :D

i believe this is because you both have EMGs. thats the whole problem is that they have a built in preamp which really negates any factors the actual guitar has on tone for the most part.

what i tell people are EMGs are nice easy way out to get a decent tone. but its going to sound like most other guitars. your $200 ibanez wont sound MUCH different than the $1500 ibanez with emgs. theres a difference yes, but for the most part the tones the same.

thats why you need passives, or blackouts. let that guitars features build the tone, not some pickup manufacturer.

also-
i have tiny hands and hate baseball bat necks. esp/schecters especially, but ive got an Intrepid 827 neck on a custom build, and that neck is way comfortable. if i have any issue with it, im sure i could shave a few mm's off the profile. overall i think agile sits in between the ibanez and schecter/esp profile.

have you thought of sanding it slightly?

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I think I'm one of the only people that likes thick necks around here, and I have tiny, girly hands :lol: I ordered my KxK's with a Schecter Hellraiser thickness for the neck.

Adjusting to the scale length of my KxK (27") took absolutely no time for me. I can do all the same stretches, and the added tension rocks. It's snappier and more percussive at that scale length, and you can put thinner strings on to make it even more so and keep the same tension.

But, if you can hardly play it, there are no benefits. Get something that feels nice for you and your playing will be a lot cleaner, as well as put less strain on your hands.

Acre

The Gent in Djent
Reaction score
But, if you can hardly play it, there are no benefits. Get something that feels nice for you and your playing will be a lot cleaner, as well as put less strain on your hands.

I don't think it's quite as bad as that. As I said, I've had time to adjust to it and the neck is by no means the worst I've felt. It's definitely playable, just not very practical. I feel like I'm having to strain a little but overall I could live with it. I just don't see why I should have to if I know there is something better out there. Btw, I can totally understand how lots of people like the necks, it's purely a personal thing.

It's not just the neck either. On the whole the Interceptor has left me feeling 'lukewarm': I'm neither impressed by its quality nor angry at its imperfections. That's kinda why I started this thread. To get other people's views about them. Clearly I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I think I'll probably end up selling my Agile regardless. I figure if I can't see it as a long-term instrument I may as well nip this in the bud and pass it on to someone who'll really get the most out of it. I was naive not to do that with my very first guitar. Cost me dearly in the long run so I think this time I'm gonna do my homework, make totally sure I'm getting what I want and need. Anybody else have an experience like this?

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like I'm having to strain a little

And this is where the problem lies. If you're straining, you're tiring out your hand, and you won't play to your full potential, and you won't have as much endurance, on top of possibly giving yourself RSI if you play for extended periods of time, as us guitar players are prone to :lol:

Agiles are really great guitars for the money. I do think they're getting a little over priced as of late, but when they first came out they were way under priced, and were a steal of a deal. I've played a few and I thought they were great budget guitars, and I'd probably own one now if it weren't for the fact that on every model there's at least one deal breaker, ie the ebony fretboard models had EMG's (before there were covers you could get), or the passive model ones had maple fretboards, or bolt on instead of neck through. Now there's probably enough variety that I could find one that I want, but I have my first KxK and my second to be completed very soon.

I'd say sell it since that seems to be what you want to do anyways, you'll find something that better fits your needs.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I think I'm one of the only people that likes thick necks around here, and I have tiny, girly hands :lol: I ordered my KxK's with a Schecter Hellraiser thickness for the neck.

You're not, I found the neck on my Loomis to be very comfortable. What I don't like about the Agile necks is their round profile. Seriously, 26'5" scale on Schecter guitars is just awesome. Wish more guitar companies offered it.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score

I like thicker necks too. Hell, I'm pretty sure I NEED thicker necks at this point. On thin necks my hand starts to strain and cramp from the thumb and on into my hand very quickly.

spawnsc

Reaction score
the Agile neck for my Septor Elite seems great to me, but it really does come down to either finding something that fits you or work on getting use to it.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
I like thicker necks too. Hell, I'm pretty sure I NEED thicker necks at this point. On thin necks my hand starts to strain and cramp from the thumb and on into my hand very quickly.
Me too. I've always found guitars with very narrow necks (Hagström LP's come to mind) nigh impossible to play with my hands (big hands, used to playing piano), and after I got used to the extended scale, the wider necks and string spacing of the Agile guitars felt extremely comfortable.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Me too. I've always found guitars with very narrow necks (Hagström LP's come to mind) nigh impossible to play with my hands (big hands, used to playing piano), and after I got used to the extended scale, the wider necks and string spacing of the Agile guitars felt extremely comfortable.

Wider neck and string spacing? When I got my Interceptor I almost felt like I was going back to 6 string compared to my Schecters. :nuts:

Ketzer

Good news, everyone!
Reaction score
It's probably not much, but everyone I know who owns an Interceptor has commented that the neck on my Hornet 7 is significantly thinner... I don't know if that's because i stripped off the rather thick finish (nearly .75mm) from the neck, or if the hornet necks are just thinner than the Interceptor necks. You might not be a V guy, though.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Wider neck and string spacing? When I got my Interceptor I almost felt like I was going back to 6 string compared to my Schecters. :nuts:
Well I never played Schecters, but my brother has a Hagström LP, and the neck is just TINY.

Latest posts

')