Fallout 76

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Okay, this has just gotten comically sad.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/1...CuyvoRmRrXs93kRuwkkjMI9Rc-iH0-CEuD1Yu3s2MxeEY

Yesterday, users on Reddit began to report they were receiving access to a part of the Fallout 76 website that revealed support tickets submitted by other players. Many of these tickets were from players wishing to replace the controversial nylon bags that came with the Power Armor Edition of the game with canvas bags. The leak enabled total strangers to see other players’ home addresses, contact information, and credit card numbers.

The breach was so bad, in fact, these strangers could go in and resolve the support tickets themselves.

Though Bethesda was able to heal the gap quickly, this is not a good look for a company who has been mired in controversy ever since Fallout 76's buggy launch. When players started to report that they were receiving nylon bags instead of the canvas bags shown in in the original special edition advertisement, community outrage only intensified. Bethesda’s initial response to this didn't make matters any better.

Bethesda has since begun reissuing the canvas bags to all fans who purchased the Power Armor Edition. Following this debacle, it seems Bethesda's woes aren't over yet.

I swear to God, it's almost like Bethesda are doing everything they can to get themselves shut down. This has gotten ridiculous, even more so than it already was.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Okay, this has just gotten comically sad.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/1...CuyvoRmRrXs93kRuwkkjMI9Rc-iH0-CEuD1Yu3s2MxeEY

Yesterday, users on Reddit began to report they were receiving access to a part of the Fallout 76 website that revealed support tickets submitted by other players. Many of these tickets were from players wishing to replace the controversial nylon bags that came with the Power Armor Edition of the game with canvas bags. The leak enabled total strangers to see other players’ home addresses, contact information, and credit card numbers.

The breach was so bad, in fact, these strangers could go in and resolve the support tickets themselves.

Though Bethesda was able to heal the gap quickly, this is not a good look for a company who has been mired in controversy ever since Fallout 76's buggy launch. When players started to report that they were receiving nylon bags instead of the canvas bags shown in in the original special edition advertisement, community outrage only intensified. Bethesda’s initial response to this didn't make matters any better.

Bethesda has since begun reissuing the canvas bags to all fans who purchased the Power Armor Edition. Following this debacle, it seems Bethesda's woes aren't over yet.

I swear to God, it's almost like Bethesda are doing everything they can to get themselves shut down. This has gotten ridiculous, even more so than it already was.

I'm sure at some point someone in upper management will be fired :2c:

QuantumCybin

Lost In Thought
Reaction score
I'm sure at some point someone in upper management will be fired :2c:

Lol it's looking potentially worse than that. They are potentially facing a major lawsuit because of this leak of customer information over in Europe because of the GDPR. This is a serious problem for them.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
I for one, am really enjoying seeing bethesda get lambasted for everything they've cocked up.

Then you are going to love this:

Is someone within Bethesda taking notes of literally everything people don't like in video games and decided to just put it all into one game just to see how badly people would shit on it? Hell, half the problems are the game itself, the other half are the people who handled issues outside the actual game. At what point do you look at this and say, how much fucking worse can it get? The problem with that is, is that someone from Bethesda would probably read a question like that and reply with "hmm, yes, they all seem to hate this and this and this... Looks like we found our new update for next month."

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Then you are going to love this:

Is someone within Bethesda taking notes of literally everything people don't like in video games and decided to just put it all into one game just to see how badly people would shit on it? Hell, half the problems are the game itself, the other half are the people who handled issues outside the actual game. At what point do you look at this and say, how much fucking worse can it get? The problem with that is, is that someone from Bethesda would probably read a question like that and reply with "hmm, yes, they all seem to hate this and this and this... Looks like we found our new update for next month."

ooh boiii, time to short zenimax/bethesda stock again :lol:
the fact that they came out and said they weren't adding microtransactions besides cosmetics, and then ended up putting in loot boxes which can buff damage is hilarious. The general xp nerf and subsequent lootbox xp buff is exactly what some shit f2p games do..

Last edited:

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Well this is just the gift that keeps on giving isn't it?

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/1...Qy4MfDj3tdQbkRJve8kT7lBBE_97Lnsdzy6GinL39Cl-M

There's rarely a week where there's not some news about Fallout 76, Bethesda's online multiplayer take on the Fallout universe, for better or worse. It seems the holidays aren't providing any respite to Bethesda, as a story about an alleged customer service interaction is one more log to throw into the fire.

According to Variety, a YouTube video purporting that Bethesda has been banning users for using mods for Fallout 76 has been making the rounds. Banning for mods in general is kind of a strange thing, as some are used just for getting better accessibility or performance out of software. When these modders tried pleading this case to Bethesda's customer service however, the representatives apparently assigned them homework instead.

The video, created by YouTuber JuiceHead, explains that people who were banned received an email back from Bethesda support asking for an essay about why mods are bad. Allegedly, the email sent back says "If you would like to appeal this account closure, we would be willing to accept an essay on ‘Why the use of third party cheat software is detrimental to an online game community’ for our management team to review."

While it's always possible the email could be fake, Juicehead says that he spoke to other banned players who backed up the wording and sentiment of the email asking for essays in exchange for being unbanned. It's certainly a unique take on discouraging online cheating.

Recently, Bethesda announced that they'll be gifting Fallout classic to owners of Fallout 76 as recompense for the game's rocky launch. You can also find our review for the game right here.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
That's wacky.... but I can't fault it. :lol:

At this point, Bethesda has no right to demand anything of their customers. The players should honestly get to play the game however they wish especially since them doing it their way is the only way they're getting any sort of enjoyment out of it. That anyone's actually playing this fucking travesty of a game is something Bethesda should be grateful for.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
I seriously don't get how they managed to turn Elder Scroll Online into (from what I've heard) a respectable online game after a rough start, then turn around and COMPLETELY fuck it up with Fallout. Have they learned nothing?!

... Right, right, it's Bethesda. Just hang tight until Skyrim is ported to our phones, and then the next gen consoles.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
You might want to take a lot of what Juicehead says with a grain of salt these days. Not that Bethesda doesn't to have their hands rapped for the things they have screwed up, but Juicehead has proven to be inflating his claims to a pretty significant degree. For example, some people have looked into how many users were supposedly banned here, and only 4 people on reddit could actually be found making that claim, some with very dubious history (account made the same day, posts consisting of nothing but slagging Fallout 76, that kind of thing). Juicehead has essentially become the unofficial channel for the "Bethesda are a bunch of fucktards who would rape your mother if given the chance" crowd, and his reporting is no longer credible. Again, Bethesda has fucked up plenty (for example, their initial response to Bag-gate was utterly indefensible), but a lot of the problems that people claim to have been having with this game have been a) not nearly as widespread as people would have you believe, or even in some cases, b) outright fabrications. For example, after one of the patches dropped, rumours started spreading around that the stealth mechanics had been nerfed. It took about a day for people to fully realize that this was an outright lie, and that they hadn't been affected at all. Certain people just started talking shit, and the masses took it from there without checking to see whether or not it was true. That is the kind of shit Bethesda is dealing with: people who are so invested in hating them and the game that they're willing to go on a misinformation crusade in order to "hurt" them.

EDIT: For the record, even Juicehead himself has acknowledged that anyone banned for modding was likely using Cheat Engine. In those cases, where the modding affects other users' experience (which I'll grant that the game should be protected against, so that's a strike against Bethesda), I have zero sympathy for them.

Last edited:

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I kind of don't get why people care anymore.
I mean, I'm still around because I love a good dumpster fire, but for the people that actually got burned by the game, I hate to be that guy, but honestly....get over it.
You got got. I'm sorry. The public is sorry. We are all in your corner, and helped make sure Bethesda knew they fucked up. And they do. But people need to let go sometimes. It's $60, it's not the end of the world. I'd carry a chip on my shoulder too, but it's starting to get obvious to me that everyone's now trying to "pile on" to Bethesda, and any move they make in any context people are going to look for any excuse to slam them for now.

It's a prison of their own design, so I'm not necessarily defending them here, it's just more of like a...."don't these people have anything better to do with their time" kind of thing.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
For me myself, I'm just here because I like seeing what all's being thrown into the fire. Truth is though, the decisions they're making are questionable ones. It's almost like they're oblivious to their own failures which is why people keep piling on. It would be one thing if they actually tried to make it right at all, but now they're treating their players like middle schoolers, as if leaking their info wasn't bad enough. It just makes me wonder, if all this has happened in just a couple of months with this game, what's going to happen on down the road? At this point, Fallout 76 is the Jerry Springer of video games. Sure, it's a shitshow, but there's also a part of you that just cannot wait to see what they pull out for the next episode.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
I can't remember where I heard it but someone said that FO76 has brought them more entertainment without even playing it than playing some games do and I can agree. I just enjoy the harm-joy of the whole situation.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still playing it every day, and I'm still enjoying it. Maybe I'm playing it wrong?
I've had previous little time to play lately, but I always have a great time when I do.

I guess we're both doing it wrong. :shrug:

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
So I guess these stories about Bethesda's just fake news...

Obviously, this is all just a massive conspiracy by CDProjektRed, FromSoft, and any other game company not suckin' turds right out a tailpipe.