Fan fret build bridge placement

• Thread starter col
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

col

blah.
Reaction score
My first fanned build so I'm kind of curious how the bridge placement is usually done. On a regular build I place the high e to the scale length point and call it a day, but on my 28-26" build, when I place the high string saddle to 26", the 28" saddle is at around 27.75" when all maxed out without the spring.

Do you think this will become a problem? I have an idea if need be I can swap the high strings screws for longer ones to get more reach.

Bridge is a 26 degree Hipshot.

EDIT: I was *just* able to get it to 26" on high e and 28" to the low string without the spring. Now the problem is that the low string won't be able to fit through unless I modify the saddle somewhat, but I guess I'll take it.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ChAoZ

Build Addict
Reaction score
I think that you are going to run into issues, Unfortunately you haven't considered the extra length for intonation which will add around another 8mm, maybe more if running large strings and low tunings
Would help to know how many strings and the perpendicular fret

Last edited:

Rubbishplayer

Forgive the typos...I'm all thumbs on this thing..
Reaction score
My first fanned build so I'm kind of curious how the bridge placement is usually done. On a regular build I place the high e to the scale length point and call it a day, but on my 28-26" build, when I place the high string saddle to 26", the 28" saddle is at around 27.75" when all maxed out without the spring.

Do you think this will become a problem? I have an idea if need be I can swap the high strings screws for longer ones to get more reach.

Bridge is a 26 degree Hipshot.

EDIT: I was *just* able to get it to 26" on high e and 28" to the low string without the spring. Now the problem is that the low string won't be able to fit through unless I modify the saddle somewhat, but I guess I'll take it.
At the risk of stating the obvious, I think you need either find a new bridge or go to single-string bridge pieces.

I cannot profess to be experienced at multiscale builds, as I'm currently in the planning stage of my first multiscale build. But here's what I've understood so far (with apologies for stuff you already know), on the off-chance I touch on something useful for you. And I'm assuming it's a scratch build (i.e. you are making your own neck and fretboard).

After the span of scales you are accommodating and what your smallest scale is (e.g. 25-27 is steeper than 26-28, even though they both vary by 2"), the next thing that determines the bridge "slant" is the centre-point of the fan. Technically you can place this anywhere, but clearly if your first fret is straight, the slant on the frets at the 24th fret would be unplayable on all but the narrowest range (e.g. Strandberg's 25-25.5" multiscale guitars, which seem to start straight at the first fret) so builders place this often around the 8th fret, which is about the midpoint of the fretboard.

All this means that the slant of the bridge is highly variable, depending on the range of the scales and your centre-point. As such, there is no "standard" multiscale bridge.

Right now I'm designing a prototype testbench guitar for variable multiscale necks, as I'm trying to find the right compromise of scale lengths to accommodate perfect fifths tuning. I am therefore planning for this by drawing out each neck I intend to test, to determine the range of slant angles for each bridge.

The ranges of scales I'd need to accommodate indicates a wide range of slant angles, so I'm solving that with moveable individual string bridges, each on a lockable rail. My assumption is that other luthiers intending to use off-the-shelf parts will factor those limitations into their build (e.g. by moving the centre-point of the fan).

I must admit that when I read the slant angle of your bridge, it did seem modest, based on an 8th fret centre-point and clearly it has turned out to be so. Assuming this is a hardtail, I think the best option is to go for individual string bridge pieces.

Last edited:
Reactions: col

col

blah.
Reaction score
Update, the Hipshot was enough for intonation, quite nicely actually. I had to remove the spring from behind the lowest string saddle though to get enough room for movement.

')