Fanned Fret 7 build .

• Thread starter pondman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
You build such awesome things. I'm jelly.

Did you use some kind of jig to cut the fret slots? I'm at that point in my build and I'm wondering how other people do this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Merge

Reaction score
Totally agree . There is so much amazing stuff bursting out from this site , I'm just a novice and there is nothing stopping you from having a go with the help from everyone on here.
I reckon this is the best place on the net for inspiration and build knowledge.

I've thought about trying it, but I feel like it would just be a waste of wood, lol.

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score

Did you use some kind of jig to cut the fret slots? I'm at that point in my build and I'm wondering how other people do this.

Fret position calculator at Stewart-MacDonald

This helps alot. Just punch in some numbers and you get your fret layout. Its what I've used in my builds. To go with fanned frets, just use two different length scales. Mark out the longer scale length down the bass side of the fretboard, then the shorter one down the treble side, and simply connect the dots. You'll get all the frets laid out in a fanned pattern. That's it in a nutshell, there's loads of info on the web to explain all the fine details.

It also makes a big difference to have a tool called a caliper, for measuring out very fine, precise lengths.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Fret position calculator at Stewart-MacDonald

This helps alot. Just punch in some numbers and you get your fret layout. Its what I've used in my builds. To go with fanned frets, just use two different length scales. Mark out the longer scale length down the bass side of the fretboard, then the shorter one down the treble side, and simply connect the dots. You'll get all the frets laid out in a fanned pattern. That's it in a nutshell, there's loads of info on the web to explain all the fine details.

It also makes a big difference to have a tool called a caliper, for measuring out very fine, precise lengths.

http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/
This tool will calculate any kind of fret configuration and give you an actual size print-out to stick to your fret-board. Bullet proof.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score

I don't know if anyone else has tried this but the way I do it now is ...

Stick the print-out template to the fret-board.

Clamp the neck (with fret-board glued on) firmly.

Get a steel rule and a Stanley knife with a new sharp blade.

Place the steel rule on the template fret line and hold the knife blade so its touching the top of the black fret line on the template then line the bottom of the fret line in the same way .

Now put firm pressure on the rule and score the fret line with the knife keep scoring with pressure to give a nice groove and make sure you keep the knife up against the steel rule .If you do have a run off with the knife it will come out when you radius the f-board but that shouldn't happen if you keep the rule and knife tight.

When all the fret lines are scored use the steel rule in the same way but with your fret saw to cut the slots. If you have scored the lines deep enough with the knife the fret saw will be guided into the slots and cut a completely clean and accurate slot.

This works for me faultlessly every time , wish I'd thought of it ages ago :scratch:

Just one other tip . I cut the truss slot and glue and fret the board while the neck is still a straight plank. It makes everything easier .

Necromagnon

Reaction score
Another complete accident .
Mine look more like this:
voiture_accidentee.png

:realmad:

This guitar looks like swinging. It will be another incredible built...

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
Rain today so stuck at home.

Doodled on some MDF.

I like that terrifying basketball cactus just hanging out out there... Plotting evil cactus things. I've gotta say, I really like your work. I was unaware you started on this fanned build, and when I find out about it you've made massive amounts of progress. Looks really cool so far.

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else has tried this but the way I do it now is ...

Stick the print-out template to the fret-board.

Clamp the neck (with fret-board glued on) firmly.

Get a steel rule and a Stanley knife with a new sharp blade.

Place the steel rule on the template fret line and hold the knife blade so its touching the top of the black fret line on the template then line the bottom of the fret line in the same way .

Now put firm pressure on the rule and score the fret line with the knife keep scoring with pressure to give a nice groove and make sure you keep the knife up against the steel rule .If you do have a run off with the knife it will come out when you radius the f-board but that shouldn't happen if you keep the rule and knife tight.

When all the fret lines are scored use the steel rule in the same way but with your fret saw to cut the slots. If you have scored the lines deep enough with the knife the fret saw will be guided into the slots and cut a completely clean and accurate slot.

This works for me faultlessly every time , wish I'd thought of it ages ago :scratch:

Yep. I cut slots very similar to that except I just measured out the slots with a ruler then go back and score lines later. One difference though is that I use flat and square block of wood to guide the fret saw, to make sure the saw cuts exactly on the line, and also to make sure it cuts 90 degrees down into the fretboard and doesn't tilt to the sides.

Just one other tip . I cut the truss slot and glue and fret the board while the neck is still a straight plank. It makes everything easier .

^This also helps out loads. I love to press the frets in while the neck is a flat plank, then do the back contour later.

Necromagnon

Reaction score
Yep. I cut slots very similar to that except I just measured out the slots with a ruler then go back and score lines later. One difference though is that I use flat and square block of wood to guide the fret saw, to make sure the saw cuts exactly on the line, and also to make sure it cuts 90 degrees down into the fretboard and doesn't tilt to the sides.

^This also helps out loads. I love to press the frets in while the neck is a flat plank, then do the back contour later.
+1 with everything in that post.
Al, Don't you have problems with the teeth scraping against the rule? I did my 2 first fb with a similar technic and I had to raise a bit the wood guide to make sure the "body" of the blade saw slide against the guide, not the teeth.

And it reminds me that I was working on a improvement for the fret slot cutting jig we deveopped with french buddies for slotting fanned fret fb... :wallbash:

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
+1 with everything in that post.
Al, Don't you have problems with the teeth scraping against the rule? I did my 2 first fb with a similar technic and I had to raise a bit the wood guide to make sure the "body" of the blade saw slide against the guide, not the teeth.

And it reminds me that I was working on a improvement for the fret slot cutting jig we deveopped with french buddies for slotting fanned fret fb... :wallbash:

Not really , all I'm doing is cutting a notch on each side then removing the steel rule and then carefully pulling the saw free hand into the groove the stanley knife left . I've done this on the last 8 guitars and had no drama's .

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Started to shape the neck this morning and the the belt snapped on my table sander ripping the skin of the back of my nicely healed hand :rolleyes:

But the neck is coming on nicely :)

Frets leveled and polished.

And the dreaded demon smelling Buffalo horn to cut and shape:ugh:

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Why not ? All part of the process.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Been barrowing 18 ton of topsoil uphill in the rain today :realmad:so I'm too knackered to do much tonight other than finish the bridge.
The fret board needs cleaning and oiling so I'll do that after a few gallons of beer:cheers:

Thinking of not plating this bridge and just leaving it in its raw metal state .

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Started finishing the neck.

It looks quite thick on that pic but its an illusion.

')