Far Beyond Driven Kick

• Thread starter frogman81
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

frogman81

Reaction score
A Pantera thread reminded me of the kick sound from Far Beyond Driven. I always thought it sounded HORRIBLE (no fault of Vinnie’s I’m sure), but am I alone here? Sounds like a computerised metronome click to me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I never cared for it, but I come from growing up on 70's & 80's where drums where recorded in huge rooms, ala Led Zep IV, so I've learned early on to appreciate the organic nature of drums. Anthrax is a good example of a modern-ish band that keeps the organic characteristic as much as can be done in a thrash band.

My go to kit is the Deftones kit off of White Pony in Steven Slate Drums SSD4.

Ebony

Signal purist
Reaction score
A roland trigger placed on a 6 inch pad would have done the job, but that doesn't look as cool as a pair of 24x24 monster bass drums.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
Yeah I never understood the clicky kick drum sound but like guitaardvark said it somehow comes together.

Like this here is the clickiest I've ever heard a kick drum sound, and a perfect song to notice it IMO. On it's own, the kick is too clicky but once everything else comes in it's not that noticeable in the mix. Especially with the palm-mutes following the same rhythm.

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
I never cared for it, but I come from growing up on 70's & 80's where drums where recorded in huge rooms, ala Led Zep IV, so I've learned early on to appreciate the organic nature of drums. Anthrax is a good example of a modern-ish band that keeps the organic characteristic as much as can be done in a thrash band.

My go to kit is the Deftones kit off of White Pony in Steven Slate Drums SSD4.

I dunno about the 'Tones, man, this Very First Stereomud Via Anthrax song is pretty killer...oh wait, of course I know about the fucking Deftones, it's my brain, and there's room for WAY more than two bands in there! iBrain, infinity gigs, both onstage, and off. :D

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
I purchased Far Beyond Driven in ‘94 on casette :lol: When I first heard it, my first questions were, “Where’s the bass drum, and why did they add ridiculously insane amounts of castanets in every song?” The FBD sound is definitely unique, and it’s one if their more underrated album sounds. The guitars, bass, drums, and Phil’s vocals came together for a killer sound that propelled them into the massive metal act we now remember them as. Everyone strives for the Cowboys from Hell or Vulgar Display of Power album sounds, but if I were to choose, I’d go for the Far Beyond Driven sound every day of the week.

klimbo

Reaction score
I purchased Far Beyond Driven in ‘94 on casette :lol: When I first heard it, my first questions were, “Where’s the bass drum, and why did they add ridiculously insane amounts of castanets in every song?” The FBD sound is definitely unique, and it’s one if their more underrated album sounds. The guitars, bass, drums, and Phil’s vocals came together for a killer sound that propelled them into the massive metal act we now remember them as. Everyone strives for the Cowboys from Hell or Vulgar Display of Power album sounds, but if I were to choose, I’d go for the Far Beyond Driven sound every day of the week.
i asked the same question lol