Fastest bass?

• Thread starter timisher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

timisher

Reaction score
i use a p-i right hand techique to pick 16th notes at speeds well over 250 bpm, gotta get a vid w/ an exact top speed one of these days. duno if anybody else uses this technique or not but i have gotten verry fluent with it over the last year or two. i have a song up on soundcloud.com/mothsband we dont go over 240 in the recording but its worth a look for some neck breaking bass. anyway let me know what you think about the technique and the song. cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting technique, I am not nearly that fast (nor have I ever tried to be) but find I can play just as faster I-M as A-M-I. Never been much of a thumb player in the sense you are though, I can't get good attack, have tried to develope it but I'll stick to it for slap styles it works there.

timisher

Reaction score
yeah i hate that "four finger style" that is thumb and the other three. looks like banjo picking to me. the only thing i use my thumb for is down picking sweeps. besides slapin da bass of course (; no bass sweeps in that song tho.

MassNecrophagia

has no friends
Reaction score
I've been playing that fast for a few years now with just three fingers. Involving the pinky slows me down because I broke it when I was in high school. Good on you, though. Continue to work on it.

6and10

Reaction score
Thumb index by classical music right hand finger notation.

Technically, pulgar and indice. Myghin is right. There's a number of jazz cats out there that use thumb in conjuntion with some of the other fingers to do some pretty blazing linear runs, as well.

Damian Erskine and Janek Gwizdala come to mind. Seems to be a popular technique in certain circles. IMO, I think Abraham Laboriel was one of the earlier pioneers for this on bass.

It's all good.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
I'm NOT willing to troll around, but playing 16th notes at over 250 bpm is kind of useless. It's like Yngwie Malmsteen soloing - requires a lot of skill and practice, but in the end it is SO fast that it's just a mess. It's not like you can pull out a groovy rhythm or a beautiful melody or whatever at such speeds.

Except if you're a die-hard "Reign In Blood"-era Slayer fan ;)

Lon

drop it like its G#!
Reaction score
I'm NOT willing to troll around, but playing 16th notes at over 250 bpm is kind of useless. It's like Yngwie Malmsteen soloing - requires a lot of skill and practice, but in the end it is SO fast that it's just a mess. It's not like you can pull out a groovy rhythm or a beautiful melody or whatever at such speeds.

Except if you're a die-hard "Reign In Blood"-era Slayer fan ;)
How about you wanna convey a feeling of indistinguishable chaotic mayhem? 250bpm comes in pretty handy there

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
Yeah of course, that's why I said Slayer ^^. Nah j/k but for chaos you don't need speed, just listen to Jimi Hendrix ^^

(oh and btw, I like SLayer... but not Hendrix :p)

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
^ LOL

Anyway I'm primarily a guitarist so i got used to playing bass with a pick, 16th notes at 250 bpm isn't that much of an issue with a pick, I just think it's useless ^^.

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
requires a lot of skill and practice, but in the end it is SO fast that it's just a mess. It's not like you can pull out a groovy rhythm or a beautiful melody or whatever at such speeds.

No, it isn't and yes, you can.

timisher

Reaction score
i play da techs metals. so tremin w/ mah pinky comes in handy. also useful when we do fusion runs and need those quick bdddts. pretty much working on shred bass haha, should sound like yngvey(sp?) in no time ;).

timisher

Reaction score
oh and 250 is snails speed. 300 bpm here i come! gotta get mah chops back up n make a video or something.

MassNecrophagia

has no friends
Reaction score
I've never understand why everyone uses tempo to describe how fast they play. Are we talking notes per minute? I can play whole notes at 600 bpm, does that make me a fast bass player? Anyway, that's nice if you're fast and all, but use it and show us somehing impressive with it. Otherwise it's just a pissing contest.

timisher

Reaction score
hence why i said 16th notes at whatever bpm in the first post. soundcloud.com/mothsband check my band if u wana hear something impressive lolz

')