Fattest, crunchiest neck PU for a 7

• Thread starter Audiocide
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Audiocide

Slappin da bass, mon
Reaction score
I need a FAT sounding neck PU. By fat, I mean Gibson PAF neck fat. I play strictly leads on the neck PU, and don't use a ton of gain, so note seperation is not an issue. Nice cleans are welcome, but I rarely use full humbucking mode on cleans so bear that in mind.

I tried an Air Norton, albeit on a much thinner sounding 7321 body, and it just wasn't fat, or crunchy enough. Too glassy, and hollow for my tastes.

The SD Jazz is a big no-no obviously.

I'm considering the Blaze neck or PAF 7. What's your opinions of them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nick

Reaction score
evo7

i got one a while back but have only recently bothered to play it on my engl (instead of the pod for convenience) and now that ive dialed in a good tone im blown away

Nats

Reaction score
+1 on the blaze neck. very fat sounding neck pickup

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
mmhmm. thats what tosin abasai did on his lacs 7, the one with the piezo job that made us frown.
sounds fwumpy

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
PAf7 - its the crunchiest and lowest output neck pup. Its totally awesome. Im also selling a pair of them :)

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Duncan -59 is a nice neck pickup but I absolutely love the
BK Cold Sweat I have in the neck of my Carvin 7.
That thing just sings.

Audiocide

Slappin da bass, mon
Reaction score
Thanks all... I've actually decided to get an EMG set with the 60 7.

Based on past 6 string experiences, I've realized that's the only thing I'll ever be completely happy with, even if I have to take a router to the damn thing :wallbash:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Thanks all... I've actually decided to get an EMG set with the 60 7.

Based on past 6 string experiences, I've realized that's the only thing I'll ever be completely happy with, even if I have to take a router to the damn thing :wallbash:

If you're that reluctant to route your guitar (and I don't blame you), are you sure you don't want to try a Blackout neck first? It might give you a pretty similar sound.

Edit: The site says they're ceramic magnets, so maybe the bridge model would actually be closer :shrug:

Audiocide

Slappin da bass, mon
Reaction score
If you're that reluctant to route your guitar (and I don't blame you), are you sure you don't want to try a Blackout neck first? It might give you a pretty similar sound.

Edit: The site says they're ceramic magnets, so maybe the bridge model would actually be closer :shrug:

The 60's actually a VERY bassy and smooth, clean style pickup. It's very unique in that. From what I've read, it seems like SD tried to make EMGs "more metal" with the Blackouts, which sounds pretty dumb to me :scratch:

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
i like the 60 in the neck
its rockin.
emg's arent my thing and i dont wanna route shit for em,
but for emgs, the 60 is rocking!

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
The 60's actually a VERY bassy and smooth, clean style pickup. It's very unique in that. From what I've read, it seems like SD tried to make EMGs "more metal" with the Blackouts, which sounds pretty dumb to me :scratch:

Maybe that's why my first instinct was to try a Blackout neck. It still might work for ya. They didn't try to make them "more metal" or anything like that. They just improved and cleaned up the 81/85 designs. The only EMGs I really like are the 60 and the 707 (I assume I'd like the 60-7, too), and I'm probably getting a Blackout neck for the bridge of one of my guitars. If you really need it to sound exactly like a 60, then go for it, but I'm just trying to throw out a few options that don't involve chopping up your guitar. :)

')