Favorite bass brand?

• Thread starter Swedjent
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Swedjent

Player of the Bass
Reaction score
For metal I'd say primarily Warwick and secondly Ibanez. For a not very modern sound I'm a sucker for a Hofner with flats(which I own, coincidence?), and for most other things I prefer a Fender. Jazz or precision.

How about you guys?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
I don't really have a brand preference, but style-wise I always prefer Jazzes. They look cool, are comfortable and sound great for pretty much everything.

I don't even own a bass of my own, the one I play is my dad's.

RichIKE

Warforged
Reaction score
Warwick. My warwick is awesome to play and i can always get the right sound for any situation out of it. A close second is fender, just because my jazz is so easy to play and light.

MassNecrophagia

has no friends
Reaction score
Right now I prefer Shecter because I have a really nice Riot-6. It's set up the way I like it, and is in the process of getting a new set of pick-ups. I would love a Jackson 6-banger, or maybe an Ltd B-1006, but otherwise, I'm content.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Not a fan of warwicks, don't like the neck profile typically. Fenders are good utility knives. I have gotten great results out of my Carvin. I am in need of a 6 or 7 banger though, string count depends what I decide I will be doing with it primarily.

EBMM are superb, with points to the stingray/stingray 5 for having oiled necks. As good or better than my carvin, if so only marginally though. They don't have 19mm string spacing however, which is a few lost points. If there was a stingray 6 I would likely hop in a heartbeat.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
As lame as this may seem, I've always LOVED Peavey and Yamaha basses.

The USA Cirrus is a fantastic bass. My last bassist had one, and it played and sounded excellent.

Ever since I got to play a neck-through, fretless Warwick Thumb, every other bass just seems like such a turd.

broj15

Reaction score
Fender, Ernie Ball, and G & L. Anyone else see a running theme lol?

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
Just as RG's are my go-to guitar, SR's are my bass of choice (and it doesn't have anything to do with being Ibanez....well, I guess it does)

Hate the necks on Warwick. Love Spectors but for the price, few can beat a Prestige SR. Only problem I have with them is that they are so common that its hard to think of them as special.

SR5005E_OL_00_01jp.png

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Fender, Ernie Ball, and G & L. Anyone else see a running theme lol?

:lol: G&L basses are quite good indeed. Something about the G&L didn't really speak to me, everything was there but, not sure. Their guitars on the other hand I will almost murder for. Might be something I could alleviate with neck options, but their neck was almost too tiny for me on the L-2500

MassNecrophagia

has no friends
Reaction score
I normally do too, but ive rarely found an ibanez bass i like. the "btb" series or whatever is quite good though, everything else was garbage to me.

I share your sentiment.
Their soundgear line has always felt like a guitar-player's bass to me, no matter what line it is.

RichIKE

Warforged
Reaction score
I share your sentiment.
Their soundgear line has always felt like a guitar-player's bass to me, no matter what line it is.

That's how I would describe it too. No wonder all my guitar exclusive friends buy ibanez basses to record with.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
I've never played a Fender that felt good, and I've never seen one that looked good. They sound OK, but are nothing special in the tone department. Other basses do it as well as Fender or better, for less money.

For feel, sound, and looks I like ESP/LTD, Spector, and Warwick. The higher-end Schecters and Ibanez BTBs are nice, but soundgears hurt my left hand to play. Peavey Cirrus are great, but the excellent USA models are way too expensive.

The best bass I ever played was a Roscoe 5 string. I think it was an SKB, but may have been a Century.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
As lame as this may seem, I've always LOVED Peavey and Yamaha basses.
I think the Peavey Cirrus (what I use) and Millennium Plus are amazing values and top of the line basses. I've used mine for B-tuned prog metal mainly but got great tones doing hip hop stuff recently. The Cirrus is more for the hi-fi punch loving people.

I like the way Warwicks sound but feel like I'm handling an oar with 'em. I like flat necks.

RichIKE

Warforged
Reaction score
The neck on my Warwick doesn't seen that huge. Especially when compared to my Spector 6er

')